Can mentalism be combined with magic?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
What I mean is that, can a mentalist also do things with cards and coins (sleight of hand stuff) and still keep up the theme of being a mentalist. Or would he/she just be grouped by people as a magician who does mental magic?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
I've been wondering the same thing and I've come to the decision that it can. With mentalism you're REALLY making them think you're reading their mind so you need to do the same thing with you're magic if you want to put the two together.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
What I mean is that, can a mentalist also do things with cards and coins (sleight of hand stuff) and still keep up the theme of being a mentalist. Or would he/she just be grouped by people as a magician who does mental magic?

I'm not sure, but really what does that matter? Either way you're doing something pretty impressive to laymen.
Mind reading/card tricks, it's all magic in their eyes.
Don't stress it.

yeah, actually it helps....you know what the person should think, you can go into a bunch of forces, and predictions and even a bunch of reproductions....it really helps...its like giving a solution without an problem....

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
That wasn't the question. The question was, can a Mentalist also do card and coin magic and still be considered a mentalist. Or would he be grouped with magicians who just do mental magic.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
It depends on who's doing the grouping i suppose, quite a subjective and unconscious thought for a spectator really. I think it would just lessen the impact of the mentalism if magic is introduced. Derren Brown has stated before that he prefers to see the two as separate arts and yet he is proficient at both.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
That wasn't the question. The question was, can a Mentalist also do card and coin magic and still be considered a mentalist. Or would he be grouped with magicians who just do mental magic.
Mentalists cant do what magicians do. If you do card and coin magic that is no longer mentalism,then no.
Magicians can do what mentalists do.
But mentalists cant do what magicians do.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Sean fields is a magician.
Not strictly mentalist. Like i said,a magician can do what a mentalist can,but a mentalist cant do what a magician does.Boo-yah.

Yeah I see what you mean, and no Boo-yah-ing in my topic. It was just something I was wondering about, Like would a magician be able to convince people he was a mind reader or would they simply think he was going trickery.

That reply presumes that you dont know what mentalism is, you know what mental magic is.

You can do sleight of hand stuff in your routine/show but that will lead off the theme if you present it as a magic trick. If you present it as a Mentalist demonstration it becomes somewhat mentalist, but its closer to mental magic i think.

@Visualartist, yes i can do what you do. I am a mentalist and i think that you cant do what i do. How would you do a seance? How would you do an impromptu book test? How would you do a blindfolded item reading?

You cant do any of these, because you haven't studied the art. *man i am pissed at you*

They are two completley seperate artforms, on e concentrating on more of psychological than sleight of hand princibles.

Also modern mentalism uses the magic roots to make some miracles work.

Everything needs practice and if i choose to be either a magician, mentalist, geek magician, stage artist whatever, its my choice and every one of them need attention and practice.

*Is officially bummed out or the day, some punk ass kid just pissed me off, thats a first*

Some more questions for visualartist:

How would you do a complete show with only a stop to a local office supply store?

How would you do a 30 minute Q&A routine?

PM me with all those questions i would love to hear what you say, because ive been in this for a year and a half and i now more and more use only Mentalism.
Now if you can do mentalism then please make me a patter that uses subliminal messaging, and get the spectator to be in a certain mood and act a certain way. Ive studyied this stuff so i can get as much as i can out of my spectators. So if you claim you are a mentalist than by all means please tell us what you can do with a center tear and billet change.

Mikk

PS. I would love to hear what the **** you have to say!

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I am going to go against what most people think I would say and actually say that magic and mentalism can be combined. Dunninger, Kreskin and Osterlind have all produced a bowl of water on stage. Dunninger's show was primarily a magic show with a mind reading section at the end of it. He did however move to almost exclusively mentalism.

The biggest issue though is separating the magic and the mentalism. That is something that most cannot do. Derren Brown mentioned it in the Devil's Picture Book, they both need their space and only if it fits your character.

The real power of mentalism is that it is still plausible for the performer to do what they are claiming to do. For example a memory demonstration can be achieved using brute memory, mnemonics or even by magic methods of key cards, stacked decks or even marked cards. Mindreading demonstrations have less plausibility but it still posses them look at how Derren uses reading tells to create the illusion that he is reading minds. When you watch him though you can see that really believes that he is doing it and it works for him. Because the audience sees it and they start to pick up on the methods. Even though they are not the real methods being used.

Take someone like Uri Gellar he believes that he is really bending the spoons and reading peoples minds. This caused a lot of people to hate him but everyone still had nothing but genuine reactions towards him.

If we take someone like Copperfield or to a lesser extent Criss Angel, they they could really do what they are claiming to it changes everything. If Copperfield can fly or if Angel could really be rolled over by a steam roller that makes them superhuman. Whereas almost everyone can believe that Derren can read minds because he explains what he is doing and the audience starts to believe that they are doing it to, just not aswell. If Derren did an ACR on his TV show or a sawing lady in half on his stage show, if not 100% in context it could and probably would destroy the idea that he is really reading minds.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I forgot to mention that David Blaine can do it from the opposite side. He is a magician that can present mentalism and present it well. But his character is one that is a little off and if he could read minds it would not be a stretch to accept it as possible.

Well more in the earlier specials not so much now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results