Can you...?

Sep 1, 2007
Philippines
I am a card magician at heart and i sometimes get inquiries as to whether or not I could perform effects that don't involve cards. What clever answers can I give so as not to disappoint or lower the expectations of the audience? I usually say "no" or "I'm still practicing".

I love cards more than any other style of magic, but I do know a few coin tricks, and tricks with everday objects and stuff you see in resurants. May I suggest psycho-kinectic silverware dvd by Banachek. I get free meals with it and I just saw a dinner magic show last night with my girl friend, my friend since jr. high and his girl friend and one of the walk around magicians did the effect and everyone freaked out. My girl friend insisted on me learning it, then I did a quick version of it for my friends at my table. It's an amazing effect! But definitly learn a few things with coins and other objects. And do the tricks before anyone asks if you know stuff without cards. Just one non-card trick for every 3-5 card tricks makes a big difference.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I always have some non coin tricks handy. All these tricks have high visual impact and it keeps them entertained.

Coin- Coin Under Watch, My own 1 coin routine
Sponge Balls- My own Sponge Balls routine
Money- 5 and 1 Transpo

May 3, 2008
It's always good to have a few non card tricks. I only have about 5 and don't do them often as they're more suitable for certain situations then others, but still have them handy. I've been using the version of Stigmata with the initials quite a bit lately. In school, you can use some book tests. It's always best if you're a more well rounded performer.

I always believed a magician should be versatile in many areas of magic thats what makes you a magician. To be able to do magic with whats on the table to have the ability to play into their thoughts by using mentalism, coin play, etc. Those who strictly use cards are just that someone who does card tricks. To be able to do more will play bigger in the end.

Different Props

Heres an idea that can be applied to ANY category of magic, & will help out in being original. Look at all the card tricks you know, & think of the ones that has nothing to do with the faces of the cards, like transition effects where face down cards jump from pile to pile, & see if you could do the same effect, but with different objects. Example, Piano Cards could also be done with matches, coins, sugar packets, business cards, or whatever else is around or whatever your imagination can think of. I think step one in overall originaltity is to look at EVERY trick you know, & try doing it with an object that NO one that you know of has done it with, & to do away with objects that if you were to walk up to anyone on the street & say "Give me a list of props associated with magicians", things like silks, sponge balls, canes, rabbits, doves, ducks, tigers, elephants, straitjackets, etc. So also think of card substitutes, like index cards with your own designs on them, pieces of paper, post-its, crackers, & on & on & on. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
A funa nd simple suggestion would be to buy Gregory Wilsons DVD "On The Spot" it is filled with usable, practical, impromptu effects you can use anywhere for those people that ask for something different. I actually use that material all the time. He even teaches a watch steal.
It's also a great deal (considering all of the one-trick-DVD's flooding the market).
It may even inspire you to branch out your magic to other areas.

j

Nov 18, 2008
CA
I was recently out at a restaurant with some of my Dad's friends I had never met. My Dad of course told them I did magic and "card stuff". I did not have my cards with me at the time and one of them took out some coins.

Person: "I have some quarters...but you probably can't do much with that"
Me: "No, it's okay. Let me try something..."

So I started to do some simple transpositions, vanishes/productions and they were amazed. I think it was because it seemed like I wasn't prepared and that I just "attempted" something. The result in their mind was magic.

I felt really happy that I knew I could do something(at that moment) without cards. It makes you seem like someone who can do magic, not just someone who does tricks with cards. I highly recommend learning some basic impromptu effects with everyday objects, even if they are really basic. That way you will hopefully never have to turn down a spectator's request to see some magic.

_CC

You can't exclusively be a card magician, You will get nowhere. You have to know a little bit of coin, card, everyday objects, and maybe classic standard stuff such as silks, sponge balls, parlor tricks, prop magic and I do not mean a prop like distortion, thats a gimmick.

It is kind of like the major I am going for. I want to be a theatre technician, and if I was to only work on one thing like lighting, companies or touring shows most likely will not hire me if I put "I only do lighting." Because there probably is a person who they know does everything, set design, lighting, welding, carpentry, painting sculpting etc.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I remember performing at my cousins birthday party and I at the end of doing a card to wallet, this girl asks if I only do card magic out loud. Everyone kinda laughed a little as did I cause I was just thinking that I had so many drunk old people there, and I was being heckled by a 13 year old girl.

So I turned to her and held out my hands and performed the most diabolical trick ever known to mankind. I slowly took off my pointer finger and put it back on.

Everyone laughed because they caught onto my humor when I put on a shocked look on my face and performed this lame trick. . . . . The girl was confused.

So after I put the cards away and decided to do my last trick for the night and that was ring-flight. (ring to wallet)

Great reactions, Great night.
Anyways, if you like to bring a little comedy in your acts when you perform, that's just something you can do when someone heckles you by saying all you do is card magic, but I agree that we should all have a little something extra to bring to the table other than cards.

Good luck-

There is no shame in just flat out telling people you are what you are.

"I'm a close up artist specailised in the performance art of playing cards." If they are looking for something else then make a recomendation to them.

Not only is that the professional way to handle it but people will respect you more for what you can do.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results