Canadian Vs American! Need some input

Nov 28, 2018
So ive had a burning question that has been driving me crazy, and i just want some input.

I am convinced there is an actual difference between Canadian bicycle cards and American bicycle cards. Beyond just the actual differences in tuck case, im pretty sure the cards are actually manufactured differently.

First off, just for reference when i say American vs Canadian cards (Just in case)

121699.jpg

Thats the Canadian version, slightly less detailed in the gold border and bilingual on the front. American is the box with the usual "Standard" and slightly more elaborate designs.

So far ive only compared two canadian and two american decks, first thing i noticed is that the American version seemed to be a little bit thicker (But not by much, maybe crushed stock vs regular? unsure though, maybe imagination)

Second (more concrete difference) is that both american decks faro suffled from top down, where as the canadian decks both faro shuffled bottom up (or traditional)

I also noticed that right out tof the package, the american version had much rougher edges, where the canadian cards had very smooth edges, no bumps or leftover material.

As for performance, i played with each deck for a few weeks to a month. The canadian cards felt like they got softer, and retained a lot more of thier ability to fan, where the american ones felt like they started to clump up more, and felt more "bent" then soft, is the only way i can describe it.

Ive been searching for a while not for any noted difference, maybe find some info on the card stock or something. Ive reached out to bicycle and uspcc, and the only response i got was "We cant divulge this proprietary information"

The only explination i can find so far is that i got unlucky, and that its random which direction the cards are cut, and it just so happened the canadian ones were traditional and american wer not. (also note that i only was able to get my hands on the american version by buying a special 4 pack of cards at Walmart, could have just been very old decks?)

And of course it could all be in my head too.

Any input though on anyone who can find the two different decks side by side? Or jsut general input would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 18, 2017
Cool!

I doubt the difference in cards is down to anything but the change in processes in the Bicycle factory they made a few years ago.

You can still find batches of cards from 2003 with old advertising cards in costco and magic suppliers, as it's not as if they go out of date. I'd guess that apart from the box being different the cards and stock will be identical as they're made in the same factories and are the same range.

Maybe someone knows more than me though...

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
If you perform with the Canadian cards you say "aye" more often and use "thee" rather than "the." Also, they work better when performing effects by David Acer.

Reactions: Lord_Magic
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results