Can't flourish...

Hey guys,

I suck at flourishing.....

I got XB
I got Trilogy

and I still can't do anything... I'm just not getting the hand of it... what do i do.....
It took me 4 months to learn the sibyl cut by Tudor....

The funny thing is that i am a good SOH artist... but want to expand my knowledge into flourishing as learning magic gets boring after a while...

HELP

Sep 1, 2007
Denmark
We have all been there and there is nothing else to do then practice some more.

Also, there are some people who have sort of a "natural talent" for flourishing, and some people just need to practice ALOT more than others. Sad but true...

Just remember to never give up!

Oct 6, 2007
Just never give up....and keep practising. KEEP practising and you'll get the knack of it one day. Then, knowing a new move will push you even harder to learn better things.

Go!!

Oct 16, 2007
Most of the advice has been said, but here's my input.

About a year ago, I got a deck of cards. Plastic ones from my high school Prom. Back then all I could do was a riffle shuffle. As time went on I started to practise with this plastic deck since the country I live in doesn't have Bikes (well, the do now, but that's not the point). I learned a bunch of the basics and then started to learn Tudor's Gen. X. Was NOT fun since these cards were too flimsy.

So I had built up this "skill" of having a delicate touch while doing fast cuts, that my cards won't spring off. Once I got my first deck of bikes, all that changed. It felt like I had been using this deck forever. Doing moves with REAL cards felt so..."at home".

Some people won't agree with me, but start of with a plastic deck then move on to "real" cards.

Maver1ck

Learn the basics to boost your self-confidence first. I think you should go out and get some good cards for flourising. If you have a lot of money and it will boost your confidence level, get some Jerry's. If you can't get those types of cards, at least pick up some Tally's.

Sep 1, 2007
Learn the basics to boost your self-confidence first. I think you should go out and get some good cards for flourising. If you have a lot of money and it will boost your confidence level, get some Jerry's. If you can't get those types of cards, at least pick up some Tally's.

Thats awful advice. The last thing you should be worrying about when your just starting out is getting rare cards.

Jan 5, 2008
Drury Lane
>Um.. to tell you the truth, I learned all of my flourishes before I even learned the Sibyl. Don't focus on just one cut. Try to find your type of flourishing.

It doesn't just break down to D&D and XB.
Do you like flashy cuts with flares?
Do you like cuts or displays?

*By the way, to me, speed does NOT matter. I just feel good once I can do a cut without dropping all the cards on the floor.

~Also, I started to get better as I did Finger Exercises.
http://www.handhealth.com/video-warmups

I personally am against cracking knuckles, or even making a fist if you want to flourish. Making a fist tightens the muscles. To flourish,
You need FLEXIBLE hands. and DEXTERITY.

The size of your hand DOES NOT matter.
I have a friend with HUGE hands, yet he can't even learn the simplest things.

It's all about believing in yourself. The cards you have DO NOT affect you drastically.
~You may want to use custom or better cards to enhance your capability, but It'll just act as a HANDICAP.

EDIT: Don't expect your hands to get better after a single exercise. Be patient. So far I've been doing these for every day this month. It's the only reason I can flourish.
~Do not overdo it in a single day. It'll make your hands stiff. Work your hands out in the morning, and once or twice in the afternoon. But don't think I'm being to forceful. They're your hands. Not mine.

Good Luck!

mm~

PM me telling how it's going so far.

Jan 5, 2008
Drury Lane
Hey. They don't call him RICHman for nothing. -.-''
Thats awful advice.
Damn straight.
Learn the basics to boost your self-confidence first.
True. True. I'll give rich boy that.
So I had built up this "skill" of having a delicate touch while doing fast cuts, that my cards won't spring off. Once I got my first deck of bikes, all that changed. It felt like I had been using this deck forever. Doing moves with REAL cards felt so..."at home".
This just shows starting of low can benefit you at a large scale. Just imagine. If this kid can flourish with those, how does he handle regular Bikes? Those cards must dance in his hands.
and I still can't do anything
I get this feeling too buddy. Just look at all the simple things you can do, and think about all the people in the world. You are a part of the fraction of the few people who can show the beauty of a deck of cards.
Be proud. You have a talent others with they had.
Use it.
So what if people post all these amazing videos on their flourishes?
Do you know how much time they've dedicated?
The only reason I can flourish is because I have a deck in my pocket at all times. It's like an addiction.
Don't feel bad about yourself.
Name every single flourish you can do. The tiniest and simplest things you can do with a deck of cards.
Or maybe only a single card.
Or maybe the box.
To even look upon flourishing at attempt to do it yourself shows you have dedication. Don't give it up now.
I want you to type everything you can do.
Then go and tell us you can't do "anything".

mm~

Oct 16, 2007
'

This just shows starting of low can benefit you at a large scale. Just imagine. If this kid can flourish with those, how does he handle regular Bikes? Those cards must dance in his hands.

mm~

Lol, thanks, but I'm 16. Almost 17 now, so yeah. Still, the cards don't dance in my hands yet, since I've started the IB diploma and extended essay (some people will know what a B**** both are) so cramming time for flourishing/magic is slightly challenging. But thanks for the awesome words, I will make a video soon

If you're still having trouble with the flimsyness of plastic cards, just try regular bridge sized cards and just get used to the motions of each cut and build MUSCLE MEMORY. This is another key factor when performing flourishes.

Maver1ck

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how I overcame the same problem... Not the problem of not being able to do any Extreme card manipulations, but the problem of doing and repeating. I would start watching the tutorial and break off into my own "thang" Even dan and/or dave buck say these flourishes shouldn't be learned as step by step, but more as inspiration.

Sep 23, 2007
Belgium
the first time i saw the sybil it was like shiiiiiit
so i watched the tut over like a 100 times then after I think maybe 5 months it got finnaly some speed.
I found sybil one of the hardest moves to learn but it is worth it. Just don't give up some moves take months to learn.

Oct 21, 2007
yea i agree, i started with plastic card (Singapour Airlines cards lol) because i didnt have any thing else, in fact I progressed quite a bit with them. then soon after i went on to Bikes and tallyhos.

P.S Slight_of_hand, the sybil cut was creatd by Chris Kenner, not Brain Tudor, but he did make a lot of variations on it....

Feb 10, 2008
Focus on 1 move, the first flourishing move that i learned, was genesis. I know very dumb. I just would sit down practice it over and over and over and over. Now i have it down perfectly 4 months later. It's all about practice, but try to practice 1 or 2 moves at a time to not overwhelm yourself.

L

Liam Carrie

Hey guys,

I got XB
I got Trilogy

and I still can't do anything... I'm just not getting the hand of it... what do i do.....

The funny thing is that i am a good SOH artist... but want to expand my knowledge into flourishing as learning magic gets boring after a while...

HELP

Flourishing isn't for anybody, but anyone can do it. Dan And Dave Were both born with alternately colored jerry's nuggets in their hands, but it took them about 6 years to perfect it. Keep trying but if you give up, attempt such other visual manipulation feats Ie: CJ, Poi, Diablo etc.

Aug 31, 2007
Hey guys,

I got XB
I got Trilogy

HELP

Sorry to say, but just if you buy hundred dollar dvd's you won't magically get better. They aren't flourishing steroids, start with the basics. Go to the Trilogy, and go to flourishes 101, wait, wtf am I saying, just go through the first really simple things from xb, skip stuff like the thumb cut, you'll get there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results