Card Collecting

Feb 14, 2017
Hi all,

I was hoping to get your opinions on playing card collecting and in particular decks from Kickstarter.

I recently practicing Magic and very quickly got into collecting cards as well.

So many lovely designs out there I could spend a fortune. (In fact my partner says I already have !!) I tell her as well as looking lovely they are a good investment as well.

So I was just wondering what your views are on buying extra decks as an Investment?? Have the decks you purchased gone up or down in price??

Do you ever get decks sold cheaper on the internet than the Kickstarter original pledge??

Any information on the above or anything else relating to collecting cards would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Martin

I LOVE Card collecting! I keep waiting to get that super ultra uber rare foil Copperfield with every custom deck that I purchase but so far all I've got is Jay Sankey's.... which isn't bad but the card keeps reinventing itself with each new edition but doesn't really do anything to the actual value of the card.

Feb 14, 2017
I LOVE Card collecting! I keep waiting to get that super ultra uber rare foil Copperfield with every custom deck that I purchase but so far all I've got is Jay Sankey's.... which isn't bad but the card keeps reinventing itself with each new edition but doesn't really do anything to the actual value of the card.

Many thanks for your reply. I've just funded some projects on kickstarter.

Have also landed myself some Gold Arcane decks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Buying decks for an investment--especially Kickstarter decks, will yield poor returns about 99% of the time.

There's very little that can be done to predict if one will yield any good return. Only thing I can think of is if the kickstarter is by a cardist/magician/etc with some grit and notoriety.

Even then, you won't have a good measure on how well the deck will do in the secondary market.

Feb 14, 2017
Buying decks for an investment--especially Kickstarter decks, will yield poor returns about 99% of the time.

There's very little that can be done to predict if one will yield any good return. Only thing I can think of is if the kickstarter is by a cardist/magician/etc with some grit and notoriety.

Even then, you won't have a good measure on how well the deck will do in the secondary market.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Card collecting is not an investment. Particularly not now, partly because of Kickstarter. The market is flooded.

In general you're probably only going to get around what you paid for most of those decks, unless you find a couple collectors to get into a bidding war over it.

That's not to say you shouldn't collect, by the way. Just don't expect it to pay dividends.

Feb 14, 2017
Many thanks Christopher.

I will be careful with which decks I purchase and how much I pay.

Especially as I would want to open them up to do some flourishes etc.

Regards

Martin

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If you open them, they are basically worthless. At that point you are collecting purely for your own pleasure (which is fine in my opinion).

Jul 13, 2014
I have a love/hate relationship with that. I love many of the cool designs and awesome decks that are out there, however I hate how they're becoming collectibles, not a product to be used and replaced. When they're gone they're gone which limits my chances to use them, and I don't like that. Especially for magicians and cardists, I think cards should be for using, not sitting around gathering dust.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I hate how they're becoming collectibles, not a product to be used and replaced.

Which is why I use them. I have a strong tendency towards collecting things (bordering on hording, if I don't keep it in check) so I force myself to use decks and give them away so I don't just pile them up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results