Card Control Question

Jul 7, 2014
Is there a way to control a card (say freely chosen from the middle of the deck) to "x" position from the bottom or top of the deck? (2nd from bottom, 3rd, 4th etc.) I've done some research, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Is there a way to control a card (say freely chosen from the middle of the deck) to "x" position from the bottom or top of the deck? (2nd from bottom, 3rd, 4th etc.) I've done some research, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Have you looked in Royal Road to Card Magic? You could simply control to the top, then run the required number of cards during an Jog shuffle.

Alternative suggestions: Bluff pass. Tilt. Catching a break a few cards above the selection when having it replaced then double undercut to the top.

If you know your Faro Shuffle mathematics you'll be able to use this to move cards to specific positions quite quickly.

I haven't exactly handed it to you on a plate, but there should be enough there to help you with your research. Honestly, I am surprised you haven't come across any of these during your searches already .Do you mind me asking what sources you've looked at?

Rev

Jul 7, 2014
Have you looked in Royal Road to Card Magic? You could simply control to the top, then run the required number of cards during an Jog shuffle.

Alternative suggestions: Bluff pass. Tilt. Catching a break a few cards above the selection when having it replaced then double undercut to the top.

If you know your Faro Shuffle mathematics you'll be able to use this to move cards to specific positions quite quickly.

I haven't exactly handed it to you on a plate, but there should be enough there to help you with your research. Honestly, I am surprised you haven't come across any of these during your searches already .Do you mind me asking what sources you've looked at?

Rev
I am trying to avoid open shuffling if possible. I have looked at the Tilt and the Bluff Pass during my search, and regularly use the Bluff Pass for various effects. I have not looked into the royal road to card magic but I will look into it.

It might help to explain what I am trying to do. The effect I am attempting to create is that the spectator picks a number "x" at the beginning of the trick and whether they would like to work with from the top of the deck or the bottom of the deck. They then freely choose a card. The card is "fairly" placed in the center of the deck, but then appears at the location they named (Example, they choose five as their number and the two of spades. Without shuffling the two of spades appears at the fifth position in the deck).

Currently I can control the selected card (without shuffling) to: the bottom, up to 8th or so from the bottom, the top, and the second from top.

I am trying to avoid open shuffling if possible. I have looked at the Tilt and the Bluff Pass during my search, and regularly use the Bluff Pass for various effects. I have not looked into the royal road to card magic but I will look into it.

It might help to explain what I am trying to do. The effect I am attempting to create is that the spectator picks a number "x" at the beginning of the trick and whether they would like to work with from the top of the deck or the bottom of the deck. They then freely choose a card. The card is "fairly" placed in the center of the deck, but then appears at the location they named (Example, they choose five as their number and the two of spades. Without shuffling the two of spades appears at the fifth position in the deck).

Currently I can control the selected card (without shuffling) to: the bottom, up to 8th or so from the bottom, the top, and the second from top.

Why would you ask such a question without consulting RRTCM? Next you'll be telling me you haven't checked 'Card College' or 'Expert Card Technique'!

Light ribbing aside, Bluff Pass or possibly a Cull sounds like the way to go. Not sure I agree with avoiding shuffling. Magicians love the idea of an invisible control but, in my experience, laymen want you to shuffle because, hey, that's how you lose a card right? Otherwise it's just in the same place you put it and not really lost!

Alternatively, just learn John Carey's 'Sticking Up for Larry' as it pretty much achieves the effect you described.

Rev

Ryan Malone

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2015
Ireland
If you can do a side steal there is a way to take cards to 2nd, 3rd and 4th. This is the action when the spectator takes a card and is showing it around top palm the number of cards you need first then ask for the card to be replaced the spectator replaced the card into the middle then side steal the card into the hand with the palmed cards then replace them on top hope that helps

Reactions: David Brooke
Mar 2, 2016
I agree with Ryan Malone.
The side steal is one of my favourite sleights, and I clicked this just to recommend it to you.

You can get a very good video about it in the Theory11 Store.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results