Card forces for the "Sleightly" Challenged

Sep 14, 2007
Fayetteville, TN
To put it mildly, I am very lacking at sleight of hand techniques, so the classic force and some of the other more common forces just seem beyond my reach and comprehension. To force a card, I have been using a Svengali deck, but I would really like to get suggestions on reliable, easy forces with a regular deck that do not require even moderately difficult sleights. What are some of your favorite ways of forcing a card? Thanks!

Aug 31, 2007
You don't learn card magic by saying something is beyond your reach.

Start learning, maybe from the easier ones, then the hard ones.

You don't learn card magic by being scared of sleight of hand. Plus, the classic force isn't as hard as you think.

- harapan. magic!

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Classic Force - I think this is absolutely great, timing is a bit tough to get down at first but it comes with practice. Plus there's a great feeling when you first get someone with it :p I know you said you thought this was beyond 'reach' and 'comprehension' but trust me, it's all about practice, timing and judging whether they'll go for the card, if you don't think they will either force that card under their finger or switch to a different and 'more fair' force ;)

Back to Back Force - I've used this quite a bit recently, there's a tiny bit of setup, but nothing you can't cover. It's a very open force and nothing you can't clean up with a bit of know-how and misdirection.

Not forgetting...

Riffle Force - How fair you can you get? :p and the cover for it is even better. There are some subtle touches you can add to this force as well that make it even more deceptive. :)

There's my thoughts for ya.

- Sean

Sep 2, 2007
London
I got by with the Hindu shuffle bottom-card force for ages. It's easy, reliable, and gets the job done efficiently. But like harapanong says, there's no reason not to start learning new techniques. The way to practice the classic force is to try forcing a card even when your trick doesn't require it, so if you miss, it's no problem. It really isn't as difficult as people think.

Sep 18, 2007
I am also as new as you are. I pefrom tricks with friends while on a picnic etc.
I dont use a Svengali deck unless and until necessary since I believe in complete examination of cards. I use their deck as far as possible.
Before we start, I separate the deck into even and odd cards (viz. A,3,5,7,9,J,K and 2,4,6,8,10,Q) very casually, without their knowledge. Till that time I dont even mention that I am going to perform some magic trick. I then ask them to choose any card from one deck and keep it anywhere in the second deck. They can then shuffle the second one as much as they want. Its very difficult for anyone to note that the decks are specially divided. For me it's very easy to identify their card since even & odd separation works just fine.
Revealing their card can be done in any interesting way.

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
In addition of what has been said, I'll suggest you try the Slip force (to not sure if I'm allowed to reveal how it's done here ?)). If your angles are good it's very deceiptive.

And of course, the Cross Cut force, wich works just perfectly with absolutely no sleight of hand !! :cool:

The cross cut is very good and simple, as is the riffle force. The slip force is ok, I don't love it.
I want to practice my classic force, so I'm working on it, just because it seems like such a free choice.

Thanks,
evan

Sep 1, 2007
Most of the best forces are not dependant on sleight of hand. In particular the riffle force and the "cutting little packets til they call stop" force are very nice.

Under the spread force requires you to cull a card, but is again very easy.

Real "no sleight of hand required" forces include the cross cut force and the cut deeper force, the hindu shuffle force and any force involving a false cut and bottom card show.

If the card to be forced isn't unique - meaning there is more than one card that will work for the effect - then you can use the classic deal down force, having the spec deal off a certain number of cards, deal them into two piles and select the top card of one of the piles for themselves...a lengthly forcing proceedure that really emphasises free choice, great for prediction style effects.

The advice about just getting stuck in to learning sleight of hand techniques should be taken on board though. Really, most forcing is easy sleight of hand and if you're struggling with this level of card handling, you should probably put in more practise before performing.

Cheers,
David

The Goldin Force is the easiest force I can think of (except for the Criss Cross Force, of course). It looks like a riffle force - but with no breaks! No sleight of hand necessary. Plus, it's a very uncommonly used force, so you'll stand out from the crowd a bit :) I learned it in Card College, but it's taught in MANY other places. A really great force with no sleights required. Awesome.

As a beginner, I found the Cross Cut Force to be the absolute best force. It has no slight of hand, and allows you to practice the presentation of your trick.

The next force I learned was a type of riffle force. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact name of it, but it is almost a 0 sleight force. Private message me and I'd be happy to help you out!

~The Asian

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
Riffle Force is effective and easy.

Hindu is very easy, but more experienced cardsmen can pick up on it, when used as a force.

The Classic Force is hard. Not technically, just getting the whole thing together. Thhe best way to practice it is just to keep using it, especially when it's not needed.

But before all that, you need to understand something. Magic is about effort. You can't slack your way through this, and if you take that attitude then there is no way you will get anywhere near the full potential out of your magic. Embrace the challenges, and learn your craft.

Ty

The next force I learned was a type of riffle force. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact name of it, but it is almost a 0 sleight force. Private message me and I'd be happy to help you out!

~The Asian
Is it a force of the top card of the deck? Are there any breaks held?

If it's a top card force with no breaks held and it looks like a type of riffle force, I'm almost positive that it's the Goldin force that I was talking about before.

Is it a force of the top card of the deck? Are there any breaks held?

If it's a top card force with no breaks held and it looks like a type of riffle force, I'm almost positive that it's the Goldin force that I was talking about before.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure you're right because that is pretty dead on with your description. It is a top card force with no breaks that incorporates a good riffle. I appreciate the info!

~The Asian

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Okay,

Will T11 or some such magic website PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a DVD teaching all of the card forces?

Some of these I've never heard of. And I believe you can't know too many forces! :)

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
Do some research. Looking for a particular sleight might lead you to some great books, DVD's, effects that you would normally have swept by.

Don't be lazy!

Ty

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
throw the svengali deck in the closet and pick up a normal deck of cards and go from there. Trick decks like that are a good thing to get your toes wet, but after that i think that you should bail on them and learn on a real deck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results