Card Gimmicks

Apr 15, 2010
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get a list of some ideas for card gimmicks. This may sound like I'm cheating off you guys, but I just wanted to get some ideas to make some gimmicks of my own. I was thinking more along the lines of mechanical gimmicks such as flipping cards, or something of that sort, instead of different faced cards, such as pips being moved.

Another question would be, how does one go about splitting a card? I know the card consists of two paper sides and a piece of thin cardboard, but how would one go about taking a side off and maybe gluing another to it? I've done some research, but the only method I've come across is actually peeling it with your hands - I've tried it but it keeps ripping up in wrong places, ruining the rest of it.

Anyone have their own personal way of making gimmicked cards? I just want to make some of my own instead of paying for commercially available ones. Thanks in advance!

If this is a topic that can't be discussed for any reason, totally understood and can be taken off by an admin or something of the sort.

You can make double backers, double facers, fire in the hole cards, cards with a different face on each side, you think it up and you can make it.

There is a method that I learn a while ago and I still use, splitting cards is laborous and will take time and patience, no short cuts.

Tap a corner of the card in a hard surface for almost at least five minutes, it will take a while to soffen it up. I do this watching tv, passes time.

Once you do this place the card on a flat surface slowley peel up a stip of the card. A card consists of a three ply piece of paste board. When you do this you will end up with a thick side and a thin side, when using two cards make sure to match them accordingly (thick with thin etc.)
Doing this is annoying and generally sucks I won't lie. But with time and practice you will get pretty good. I have tried several methods of trying to make things easier (soaking the cards in water, bending them so on), but nothing works better than time an effort.
Once you make your choices a regular glue stick will fix them back up, elmers I find works the best. Once you have them back together put them in a press of books or something flat and heavy for several hours.

This should do the trick, if you have any problems or questions feel free to PM me any time where I can give any help or go into more detail.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I learned a lot of my gaff making skills from the "Art of Card Splitting" Martini DVD.
It is difficult work but well worth it if you get good at it.
Great DVD by the way. He shows how to make some great gimmicked cards and gives you applications for them.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Another resource for creating gaffs is the Gaff Factory.

I have no input on other types of gimmicks, as I don't use them. Other than Shawn Farquhar's Ultimate Invisible Deck.

Apr 15, 2010
Thanks for the input guys! I've watched the videos suggested and checked out all the resources suggested.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results