Card Guards

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Hello people,
Does anyone here regularly use card guards? I mean every time you go out with a deck of cards, does it have a guard? If so, what kind is it and what type of magic and cards do you do/use? For example, I don't use a card guard (although I do have one) and I just use standard red-backed Bikes. As far as magic goes I don't do any fancy flourishes (yet... I'm working on putting a few in my routine) and just do your average 2CM or ACR. For those of you who do use a gaurd, what has been your experience? Did it help, hurt, or not do anything to your cards and/or magic?

-Matt

Nov 16, 2007
www.youtube.com
I take it that you mean a Card clip? I use the Joe Porper card clip. I've tried all the generic types, none of them work as well as the Porper clip. The design of the bend keeps it tight. It maybe a bit more expensive than others, but it's worth every penny.

I don't believe in Card Guards. The box is enough protection. Nobody needs to protect their box. It's just a box. It's meant to protect the cards. This reminds me of the episode of Spongebob where they buy a carrying case for their carrying case for their chocolate.

Unless you have a really expensive deck of cards, I think it's useless. If you perform with some Jerry's or something(which is rare for the normal performer) I think it's going overboard.

I use a regular Bicycle Deck which I buy in Bulk and don't care if the box gets ruined. My box rarely even gets ruined. I have about 10 extra boxes, so I don't need a card guard. Just my opinion.

Oct 18, 2007
My cards warp big time here in Toronto when it's humid out, so that's why I invested in a Card guard. I should have went with a Porper clip, but I bought an Ellusionist one instead [Ghost ace]. Everytime I pull it out a lot of people have said I'm serious about cards, hahah. I stretched the use of a Ghost deck out to 5 months and even still it fans fairly well after a while in the clip. It helps me but everyone's different. Only downside is it's stainless steel so... it kind of damaged my Guardian deck's box.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Uh, yeah. Card guard... card clip... I think you can figure it out. :rolleyes:

So it's a tie between Clip/Guard v.s. NO Clip/Guard... I haven't really experienced the Porper clip for myself, but I just ordered one and it's on the way.

Edit: I stand corrected: that's 2 for "three cheers for the Guardian of the Cardians!" and one for "not a big deal..."
(I have an Ellusionist card clip/guard (Black Tiger) and used it for a while on my regular Bicycles and it helped a little...)

Aug 31, 2007
Maine, USA
If you want your cards to last a lot longer and feel better than porper is the way to go.
Normal deck guards protect the case but the porper puts pressure down on all points of the deck. when you take the deck out of the porper it will feel stiffer/better than before you put it in there.

Oct 13, 2007
Is there a difference between storing cards in a card clip and under a few big books? Besides the price.. :p

I have a card gaurd (and need a new one) I like them because it gets people asking about it which can get me into a small performance with out having to be like " YOU WANNA SEE SOME MAGIC?!!?!" :D Anywho besides that I actually match my cards to what I'm wearing (it's creepy, I know, but I like to look good!:cool:) and the card gaurd adds a little bit of extra class and proffesionalism. the only down-side for me is that my favorite jeans have four holes in the left butt pocket :eek: , but they're the destroyed type of jeans anyways :p

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
it really just helps my card box not get torn up in my pocket
and if you get one from E you will most likely get complimented as soon as you whip out the cards
and the porper can help your cards stay in shape but since you are newer at magic you probably dont need (also flourishes can mess up your cards so thats when you would need it)

hope that helps

I was very skeptical regarding these Card Clips, I didn't think for a moment that they were useful in any way... until I tried them. I bought a couple of Joe Porper Card Clips at a convention early in the year and without expecting much, tried them out. I was pleasantly surprised! They were actually quite useful; not only did they keep the box in shape but also made my cards last quite a while longer. I found they kept the cards at a cooler termperature when left in the pocket, meaning they were never "sticky" due to heat.

I would try one out, and if you like it, get another. :)

Have fun with your search,
Jordan

Nov 25, 2007
UK
I have one custom Ghost Ace card clip and one Porper Clip for 'bigger' decks. I use them both. The first to put around the cards in my pocket to protect them. The second to put my cards in if ive been performing with then for he whole night! I like using the fancy decks so i find them useful.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results