Card magic history

OMG

Mar 27, 2018
Hey there..

I'm trying to do a little research because of a plot a local magician used to present his triumph effect.

Is it true that magicians like Dai Vernon or Ed Marlo performed for visitors at the entry lines of theaters?
How was card magic presented in the last century?

OMG

Mar 27, 2018
I woul really be thankful for book recomendations or other sources concerning the topic :-/

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I don't know everything about everything. However I do know that if you want an underlying infrastructure of what magic history is about check in with @RealityOne.... He could point you in the right direction. In the meantime as far as Dai Vernon is concerned if you want to get a taste of what he went through to achieve what he did with cards, buy The Magician and the Card Sharp by Karl Johnson.

Reactions: OMG
Oct 2, 2018
I don't know everything about everything. However I do know that if you want an underlying infrastructure of what magic history is about check in with @RealityOne.... He could point you in the right direction. In the meantime as far as Dai Vernon is concerned if you want to get a taste of what he went through to achieve what he did with cards, buy The Magician and the Card Sharp by Karl Johnson.

That's funny...I'm about half way through it now, and to think he was somewhat reluctant to actually perform for money (at least when just starting out)...he was just happy to be included in the "inner circle" at the back of the magic shop. So far a great read though.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Dec 12, 2018
Dai is super interesting.. !

He really did not care for money and did everything for love and the passion for his craft.

I remember reading something Cardini wrote about Dai when they used to hang in the back of a New York magic shop.
He said something like for the most part he never did full performances or trick but showed technique.
How to control a card, a new way to control a card, a new improved double lift etc.
The man was an engineer.

OMG

Mar 27, 2018
I will report, when I finished reading. But up to now, I have to agree. It's really interesting :)

Are there other advices?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Is it true that magicians like Dai Vernon or Ed Marlo performed for visitors at the entry lines of theaters?

Although I'm sure some magicians performed for visitors to theaters, I'm not aware of any stories of Vernon or Marlo doing that sort of performance. That doesn't seem like Vernon's style. David Ben has written a biography of Dai Vernon if you are interested. Marlo was known for performing at the Treasure Box magic shop. There are some good Marlo stories in the introduction to the book Arcade Dreams.

How was card magic presented in the last century?

Houdini actually performed as the King of Cards. Here is a good article on Houdini's act: http://www.themagicdetective.com/2017/05/an-expose-on-king-of-card-act-of-harry.html.

For some magic effects from the early 20th century, check out Maskelyne and Devant's Our Magic (1910) and T. Nelson Down's Art of Magic (1909).

I'm trying to do a little research because of a plot a local magician used to present his triumph effect.

What was the plot and the historical claim? I'd be glad to fact check.

OMG

Mar 27, 2018
Thank you for your time. I really appreciate reading.

He performed a classic triump and a similiar version to Asi Winds Double Exposure.

He explained the beginnings of this effect and the progress card magic (inlcuding this trick) has made through magicians like Dai Vernon and Ed Marlo.
May be Im confused or dont remember the full story, so I dont like to say anythin wrong... But in general he told about how this trick was presented in the last century and how would people would react today.

Long story short: It was interesting enough to make me think about magic history and differences to todays presentation of card magic.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
But in general he told about how this trick was presented in the last century and how would people would react today.

There were several predecessors to Vernon's Triumph that appeared in Stars of Magic in 1946. Marlo published his version in 1947 in Marlo in Spades. I'll have to go check in the books to see if there was any presentation provided with the effect.

You can see a list of classic effects here:

https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/category/1349

Some more history on Triumph:

https://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.php?id=cards:triumph

https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php?title=Triumph

OMG

Mar 27, 2018
Houdini actually performed as the King of Cards. Here is a good article on Houdini's act: http://www.themagicdetective.com/2017/05/an-expose-on-king-of-card-act-of-harry.html.

I never tried to look for houdini on film regarding playing cards. I didn't know he was that amazing concerning card manipulation. Quite exciting to see him handling cards.

Interesting how many magicians tried to evolve this simple plot of turning cards.
Is there anything you advice to read concerning magic history?

OMG

Mar 27, 2018
Meanwhile I read Magic is Dead by Ian Frisch too.. although I liked reading it, I enjoyed reading The Magician and Card Sharp much more. @Gabriel Z. I really love it. Thank you :)
Has anybody another suggestion for me? What are your favorite non-instructional, magic related books so far?

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Oct 2, 2018
reading another book Secret life of Houdini. How he was in a perfect place to be a spy for the gov't. He toured all over europe and russia as the nations geared up for The Great War and was in a unique position to report back about what he saw and who he met. only a couple chapter in. A LOT of research went into this book, and the authors had access to a bunch of letters and newspaper articles. cool so far..

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Jim Steinmeyer's Hiding the Elephant and The Last Greatest Magician are both excellent.

Steinmeyer's and Lamont's Secret History of Magic is good but in parts it has a bit too much analysis to support its thesis.

Although more a combination of effects and history, Todd Karr's (Magic Factory) books are beautiful. Steinmeyer's book on Alan Wakeling is similar, providing a biography with effects.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Steinmeyer's and Lamont's Secret History of Magic is good but in parts it has a bit too much analysis to support its thesis.

I LOVED this book.

I think I get what you're saying. It's really a book that dispels a lot of magic myths masquerading as a complete history of magic. Magicians are put off by the idea that it repeats some stories and facts they are already aware of. The lay public is not all that impressed with the new information because they never had a barometer to compare it with.

I liked how it dispelled the myth that audiences of the past were uber superstitious idiots. I also loved the section on Houdin that compellingly made the argument that he was a great writer and magic builder, not nearly the influential performer we regard him as.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results