"Card Magic"

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
"CARD MAGIC"

Hi is time for another essay in this essay im going to talk about my strongest kind of magic card magic. I really don't like introductions so im going to start this essay right away.

"BOOKS"

IF you are beginner you must be asking your self what are some good books,in my opinion the best books that you can buy are "Paul Harris art of astonishment Vol 1,2,3" man i cant tell you how good this books really is it just the best books you can find Quick note this book is for intermediate and advance magicians only i don't recommend getting this book if you are a beginner a good book to get if you are a beginner is "the royal road to card magic by jean Hugard and Frederick Braue "this book takes you step by step into card magic this book also teaches you 5 different routines plus ten platform tricks great book.

Quick note Im only recommending books that I really own so you can believe me those books are really great.another thing I only mention a few books but remember quality wins over quantity.

"DVD"

The best dvd that I can recommend you is "oz pearl man born to perform card magic" man this must be the best dvd out there this dvd in this dvd you will lean a killer ambitious card routine plus, a new way of performing two card monte,the best biddle trick presentation that you ever see and ultimate transpot gamblers edition plus about 6 or more flourishes man if you are a beginner you have you have to get this dvd and if you are a advance you must get this dvd as soon as possible i just want to prove my point this is a must get dvd another must get dvd is David Stone real secrets of magic do this dvd is no only in card magic in his dvd your going to find the most amazing card tricks plus your going to learn more about presentation again i want to repeat this again all the dvds and books that im recommending i have buy them my self.

"DVD VS BOOKS"

I just want to point out that both dvds and books are great source of learning magic do i suggests that if you don't know to much English go for a dvd,dvds are more easy to understand for the factor you can see how they move are done but books are highly detailed plus books are pretty cheap and teach more tricks and sleigths compare to a dvds.

"CARDS"

Cards there a big difference between wanting something and using something,most people buy decks like the black ghost deck or the white ghost deck to never use it i mean whats the point of buying this kind of cards if you are never going to use them unleash you are a card collector but thats no my point what i mean if you are going to buy lets say the guardians buy them and use them because there no point of buying something that your no going to use you can apply the same method to buying this dvd don't buy dvds if your no going to use the material in that dvd , getting off topic here let me go to the point if you are no going to use your cards don't them don't buy them.

"A LITLE HYSTORY ON CARD MAGIC"

Now that I went in to some important points, I think is time to begging this essay. Card manipulation or card magic if you prefer Is the illusion of magic using a deck of cards they are most used in close up and in street magic,Playing cards became popular with magicians in the last century or so as they were props which were inexpensive, versatile, and easily manipulated.Though manipulators tend to have personal preferences on the types and brands of cards used based on their own experiences, the overall favorites almost always have an “air cushion” or small dimples on the finish of the card. These hold air, in a similar manner to the dimples on a golf ball, and allow the cards to glide over one another easily. However over time they can collect oils and dirt which make the cards harder to use in manipulation. Applying Fanning Powder to card beforehand helps slow this as well as repel moisture that may build up on the hands through extended performances. Also some manipulators may keep their decks in card protectors or clips to further extend the life of their cards.

Here is a list of some notable card manipulators.
Lance Burton

Allan Ackerman

De'vo vom Schattenreich

Cardini (Richard Pitchford)
S. W. Erdnase
Lennart Green
Johann Nepomuk Hofzinser
Guy Hollingworth
Robert Houdin
Ricky Jay
Simon Lovell
Ed Marlo (Edward Malkowski)
Jeff McBride
Jerry Cestkowski
Darwin Ortiz
Jerry Sadowitz
John Scarne
Juan Tamariz
Dai Vernon
Roy Walton
Daryl Martinez
Michael Ammar
Juliana Chen
Herb Zarrow

"Sleight of hand"

Sleight of hand is often used in close up magic performed with the audience close to the magician, usually within three or four meters, possibly in physical contact. It often makes use of everyday items as props, such as cards and coins The guiding principle of sleight-of-hand, articulated by legendary close-up magician Dai Vernon, is "be natural." A well-performed sleight looks like an ordinary, natural and completely innocent gesture, change in hand position or body posture.but this is usually not the case. In addition to manual dexterity, sleight of hand depends on the use of psychology, misdirection, and natural choreography in accomplishing a magical effect.misdirection is perhaps the most important component of the art of sleight of hand. The magician combine his actions so that even the critical and observant spectators are likely to look where the magician wants them to.

The Seven Principles of Sleight of Hand

1.palm-To hold an object in an apparently empty hand.

2.Ditch - To secretly dispose of an unneeded object.

3.Steal - To secretly obtain a needed object.

4.Load - To secretly move a needed object to where it is needed.

5.simulation-To give the impression that something that hasn't happened, has

6.misdirection-To lead attention away from a secret move

7.Switch - To secretly exchange one object for another.

Some of the most influential figures in sleight of hand and close up magic have been Haydini, Tony Slydini, Dai Vernon, Don Alan, Wes Sheild, David Roth, Ed Marlo, Tommy Wonder, Don England, Fred Kaps, J.N. Hofzinser and Larry Jennings. Other well known performers are Brother John Hammon, Michael Ammar, Andy Dallas, Jerad Nolin, Mike Close, Lee Asher, Bill Malone, Dean Dill, Ricky Jay, Paul Daniels, and most recently, Max Darwin, Criss Angel, David Blaine, and Teller of Penn & Teller.

Misdirection

The mind can concentrate on only one thing at a time. The magician uses this, and the "victim's" idea of how the world is supposed to be, against him. Some of the results are startling. A coin seemingly dissolves in the air, and yet it was never there. The face of a card that was not seen is seen. Things can be torn that are not torn.

An example of misdirection in magic might be as simple as a magician rolling up his sleeves and saying "nothing up my sleeve" and then "magically" producing an object that in no conceivable way could have been "up his sleeve". The audience for instinct scrutinizes the magician's arms but ignores the location where the object-to-be-magically-produced is hidden.

Attention can be controlled in various ways as well. For example, a magician will first grab attention with a coin, or other small, shiny object-shine makes the affect more stunning, as a shiny object captures more attention and seems more unlikely to disappear or be manipulated- and then briefly, often imperceptibly, direct attention away from the object (hence, "misdirection") through a combination often including comedy, sleight of hand, or an unimportant object of focus to provide just enough time for the magician to do whatever he wishes with the original object, whether it vanishes, transforms, or teleports.

"THE PHYCOLOGY BEHIND CARD MAGIC"

OK enough of history lest talk about the phycology behind card magic, most of the time your going to find your self in a situation were your telling one card is another card so my greatest tip is believe that the card you are holding is the card you actually saying name the card as much as you can without being exaggerated .In card magic lying is a skill and you have to learn to master it.

Do unexpected things spectators love when they cant tell what is going to hit them they love the unexpected so give them that gift and they probably are going to give you the gift of applause.

"presentation"

I cant tell you how important is the presentation in card magic,we all know that in all kinds of magic presentation is important
but in card magic really relies on the presentation,a trick without a good presentation is going to become a ok reaction.

"reactions"

In card magic there so many kind of reactions that you can get but all the reactions you get relies on your presentation,your routine and the x variable,the x variables are all the jokes that you may say in your presentation and the kind of spectators that your performing to.

"Ramdom tips"

Doble lifth

when your doing the doble lifth tilt the deck down a little bit.

keep your hands in motion.

keep talking during the DL what i mean keep talking during the DL is to no make a un explicable break on your performance when you showing the card.

start practicing tricks and sleigths slow.

Don't give up on any trick or sleigths that you are performing.

OK is time to end this essay i hope you enjoy it.especial thanks to wikipidia for the information of the history of card magic and i hope you enjoy it.

this essay is more about understanding the art.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 31, 2008
Simon Lovell

You know i really love Simon Lovell's stuff. You have toolbox which gets all your moves and things like Million Dollar Card secrets and The madness behind the methods are just AMAZING work he also answers any and all questions practially every day on the fantasma website i found out! its fantasmamagic.com i guess. check it out!

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
You know i really love Simon Lovell's stuff. You have toolbox which gets all your moves and things like Million Dollar Card secrets and The madness behind the methods are just AMAZING work he also answers any and all questions practially every day on the fantasma website i found out! its fantasmamagic.com i guess. check it out!

cool i love him two but what did you think about the essay and www.fantasmamagic.com is cool but they are to overprice.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results