Card Narrative/ Patter to magician and lay people.

Dec 17, 2012
Brighton
Recently I have found myself performing to magicians more and more. I have hit a stumbling block when it comes to patter for magicians. I really believe that a good narrative can aid in both misdirection and the performance of a routine. I was wondering if anyone has found any subject or theme which works on magicians due to there tenancy to scoff at the patter used for lay people? Thanks for anyone who can help with this.

Sep 1, 2007
due to there tenancy to scoff at the patter used for lay people?

This is probably due to the fact that most of the material we're totally cool with presenting to the general public is actually pretty terrible. I recently heard someone make a Bill Clinton joke. A goddamn Bill Clinton joke in 2013!

To a point, there is audience-specific scripting. But I think most of it comes down to just writing better material in general.

Dec 17, 2012
Brighton
I think I would agree with that. Most of the time I tend to riff my patter and just try and engage with my audience as much as I possibly can. It would be nice to hear from someone who who has had a really positive experience using magician orientated patter.

Sep 1, 2007
I think I would agree with that. Most of the time I tend to riff my patter and just try and engage with my audience as much as I possibly can. It would be nice to hear from someone who who has had a really positive experience using magician orientated patter.

That would be Derek Dingle. He made a tidy sum selling magician foolers to magicians, material that he never actually performed at a paid gig for reasons that should be obvious.

Honestly, you're better off taking a creative writing class. Also read more fiction, watch more movies. I would also recommend the various books penned by Leil Lowndes. Scripting is all about writing. But being able to perform it requires that you know how to talk to people.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results