Card Passes

Dec 16, 2011
Hey Guys,
Whats up?
So, i know some people on the forums dont like these questions but, i am kind of caught in the middle with this one!
I want to take my pass to the next level, meaning i want to make it better, i learned from an old grainy youtube video and well i guess i learned wrong? so i was considering buying the brick pass dvd by alex pandrea but then i found On the Pass by Richard Kauffman

So if anyone on the forums knows which is better or something totally diffrent it would be a huge help!

I was also planning on getting the pass trainer which is a steel deck.
Thanks,
::Yousaf Ejaz

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey Guys,
Whats up?
So, i know some people on the forums dont like these questions but, i am kind of caught in the middle with this one!
I want to take my pass to the next level, meaning i want to make it better, i learned from an old grainy youtube video and well i guess i learned wrong? so i was considering buying the brick pass dvd by alex pandrea but then i found on the pass i dont know who its by.....

So if anyone on the forums knows which is better or something totally diffrent it would be a huge help!

I was also planning on getting the pass trainer whic is a steel deck.
Thanks,
::Yousaf Ejaz

I LOVE the pass, and I do it regularly (I will actually post a video of it soon). The video you are talking about is "On the Pass" by Richard Kaufman. It's a great video for the pass, you will not go wrong with that one. Also, Jason England has a 1 on 1 here on T11 on the Classic Pass, which is better than the Brick Pass video, so go check that out. However, one of the biggest breakthroughs for me in doing a pass was in a video by Jay Sanky, don't remember the name, it was a very long time ago, but you should definitely check him out. Also NINJA by Ellusionist has some nice pointers about the pass. Akira Fuji explains the pass in EMC 2011.
I also have a steel deck, and it can help greatly, just make sure not to practice for more than half an hour at a time, because it is tricky on your wrists, so you want to give them a break.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Yousaf,

I can fully understand your pain with the pass. I spent the past three years trying to get it to where I wanted, and then all of a sudden, it clicked. I think the main thing that helped was that I got multiple sources that each supported each other and I was able to pick them apart. Here are the sources that I used:
1. Ninja 1 and Ninja 2 (I really think that if you are going to get one, you need the other. Brad goes over some little subtleties in the second that reinforce the first)
2. Jason England's download on the Classic Pass (This was the item that got me really into the idea of the pass and I would actually get this one first)
3. Card College Volume 2 (I don't know what it is about written text, but it makes you sit down and really analyze every detail).
4. Repeat steps 1-3
I know that I have said pretty much the same thing as Toby, I just wanted to emphasize that you really do need multiple sources and that you need to keep attacking it. It really is worth it.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Here's is another thing to think about with the pass, you NEED to use misdirection to take away from them thinking that you did anything with the deck. Aaron Fisher has some good advice on the pass on card magic min videos.

Also, I am going to recommend what my Mentor has pretty much said, practice standing up, and do it do a rhythm that has a decent slow drum beat to it. Don't worry about having godly fast sleight of hand either. Magic is less about that and more about being smooth and appearing effortless. A really fast pass can still look awful and awkward, compared to a single smooth pass with great misdirection and timing.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I have a tip on learning the classic pass which, when I discovered it, made a huge difference. First, learn the basic mechanics from someone competent. Richard Kaufman's On The Pass is a great resource for this. Next, read Erdnase's description of the move and consider what the three key points are that differentiate his description from others. Add those key points into your execution. Finally, remember to practice the pass in context, so you get used to getting into and getting out of it naturally.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
However, one of the biggest breakthroughs for me in doing a pass was in a video by Jay Sanky, don't remember the name, it was a very long time ago, but you should definitely check him out.

I think you're taking about Sankeytized volume one or two (the one with airtight) he goes into his thoughts at the end of the video for a little bonus.

Dec 16, 2011
I LOVE the pass, and I do it regularly (I will actually post a video of it soon). The video you are talking about is "On the Pass" by Richard Kaufman. It's a great video for the pass, you will not go wrong with that one. Also, Jason England has a 1 on 1 here on T11 on the Classic Pass, which is better than the Brick Pass video, so go check that out. However, one of the biggest breakthroughs for me in doing a pass was in a video by Jay Sanky, don't remember the name, it was a very long time ago, but you should definitely check him out. Also NINJA by Ellusionist has some nice pointers about the pass. Akira Fuji explains the pass in EMC 2011.
I also have a steel deck, and it can help greatly, just make sure not to practice for more than half an hour at a time, because it is tricky on your wrists, so you want to give them a break.

Thanks! great info!!!!!!!!! thanks to all i think im going to go with On the pass! thanks guys!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I use the turn over pass most often. I prefer not to use it in a routine like an ambitious card where I show them where the card has been controlled to. Rather, I use it in the Biddle trick and immediately after I turn the deck over I go to perform a face up shuffle. I tell the spectator that I am trying to glimpse the card they chose. That's how I use it most often.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results