Card Routines (with patter, not music)

Sep 4, 2007
Birmingham UK
"Four-king good trick" Made me laugh.
Good effects and nice video's.
However i did think they got a little repetative, though i assume thats because they were just effects thrown together instead of a routine.
Otherwise I did enjoy it!

Oct 6, 2007
Hey,

I'm sorry, but I really didn't enjoy them that much. I was quite bored watching the video, because it was so repetitiive. The tricks are all so similar, that well, it wasn't that fun to watch.

Honestly, these effects aren't really what the spectator would see as magic. These are just 'TRICKS' to the spectator, as opposed to shorter, quicker and flashier effects like 2 Card Monte, Here then There, which would really be 'MAGIC' to the spectator.

I wasn't entertained, and it seems that your spectators weren't either.

But good job, and it looks like you know what you're doing. Just my honest opinion, but good job- real smooth.

Oct 18, 2007
Germany
i really like it im only doing 2 card monte4 and here then there and easy stuff ok its better for spectators becoause for them it looks like magic .. but for magicans i think it was really good ... thanks for the inspiration... im only one jear in magic and spend most time in flourishing so im not that good but i likes it =D

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I really don't know where to begin... except for the beginning.

Video 1-

I noticed that during the effect, when you produce the Aces, you performed the sleights way too slowly. Speed it up a little so the specs won't catch on. Also, when you're performing, it seemed like you treated your specs like they were stupid... constantly telling them what you were doing. It seemed your whole patter consisted of, "I'm gonna do ____."

I liked the effect with the Kings, but I did notice some things that were wrong with it:

-When you spread the cards for the selection, the spread was way too tight, it didn't seem like it really was a free choice.

-The shuffle was really sloppy... you need to make your spectators you know your way around a deck of cards, not flipping over cards during your sloppy shuffle.

Video 2-

-This was an excellent effect, but at the beginning, it really bugged me that you stated the obvious... like telling me and your spectators that the "prediction" was a different color and had a different back design... we're not stupid, we can see that ourselves.

Video 3-

-The beginning titles were way too long... I felt like clicking out because I almost fell asleep during them.

-It also seemed like your effects got repetitive at this point, which I will hit upon again in the "overall" section.

-Another thing that bugged me, was that you were constantly asking your spectators if what you did would be impressive. Don't do that... it shows your spectators that you're doubting yourself.

-One last thing, was that the 3 of Hearts effect was waaay to similar to the Queen of Clubs effect. Yes, it ended up being different, but it was very similar, and I didn't get the deck change at the end... what was the point? I feel it was one of those "double climaxes" that overall ruin the effect.

Overall-

The only thing that I found consistently wrong with the performance was that there was no structure to it. It didn't look like you were prepared for it, and like you were just fumbling through it. If you had done an actual, structured routine, I think it would have made the performance 10 times as good.

And about the routine thing... your effects didn't build on themselves at all. A good, structured performance, would start with an effect to get them interested, another one to keep them there, possible one other, and then the big one that will really leave them thinking. Instead, you did about 10 effects with the same "wow" factor.

So, to make a good routine, I suggest taking all your effects for each style (card, stage, coins, etc.), and rating their "wow factor" on a scale of 1 to 10. Then, your routine should be a 5 effect, a 3 effect, and then an 8-10 effect. And make sure you really get this routine down... trust me, it will improve your reactions tenfold.

And the last thing I'm going to touch on is your interaction with your spectators. You seemed distant from them, and it seemed like you were doing the effects more to show off than to entertain them, which should be your goal. It should be easily to draw them closer to you... things like using their names, instead of Mr. Cameraman or Willing Spectator.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I was harsh, but I'm just trying to improve your performances. Good luck, and keep up the hard work!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results