card size

Dec 16, 2019
turnhout
today i recieved 2 new packs of cards.. the cartamundi pitch black and the memento mori nxs

what i immediately noticed is that the size is bigger than the cards where i already practiced with
what was very disapointing because with the previous deck i already thought i had small hands :(

so after some searching you have two sizes the bridge size and the poker size... which is the most used size for cardistry and magic tricks?

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Poker size is by far the most common, with pretty much all custom and gaffed decks and whatnot coming in poker size.
As far as I know, the market has been extended a lot to bridge sized cards, with specific decks coming in that size.

While I've heard many MANY people recommend never to get used to a bridge sized deck and that the smaller width is suspicious and more so...it highlighted their ignorance as much as it highlighted their knowledge to be honest. It seems that they're unaware that in a vast majority of Eastern countries, a bridge sized deck is the one commonly used.

My point is, as long as the deck looks unsuspicious (by the back design) and you're confident with handling it, any sized deck is game.

I frankly don't see the point of making magicians forcefully convert to poker size from bridge size (unless of course, the magician wants it themselves).

What if somebody forces a left-handed person to become right-handed simply because that seems more normal? [shrugs]

PS:- All that being said, you WILL have to then specifically ask for a bridge sized deck when searching for custom playing cards. Although I don't really see the majority of card-designers suddenly realising that all don't have mitts for hands, we can always hope for #equality #deckisdeck XD XD

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Your hands probably aren't as small as you think they are, it's more likely that you are developing the muscles necessary to control a deck properly.

Poker cards are generally the standard cards for magicians and flourishers, as has been started above. There are many people with small hands who can do extremely difficult sleight of hand. Mahdi Gilbert always comes up. He uses a poker sized deck and he doesn't have hands.

Dec 16, 2019
turnhout
Probably my hands aren’t that small but like you said I need to train... and maybe have to figure out some options to make a trick work or so...

Here in Belgium a bridge size deck is by far most common... I had to order my poker cards online... but I’ll make it work and from now on I only use the poker size ;)

btw when are hands considered to small?

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results