Card Sleights and Brain Training

Oct 21, 2017
I am new to the forum and to doing card magic.

As a 60 something, I am not interested in becoming a professional or even an amateur "magician." Of course, I plan to have fun performing some card tricks for family and friends, but only when they are perfected.

However, the primary reason I'm taking up card sleights (other than the fact that I am having loads of fun), is to train my brain to learn new things and continue improving eye/hand coordination as I get older.

Does anyone know of any studies on taking up card sleight of hand in later years, or having positive effects on the brain? (increased plasticity?)

I am slowly working my way through The Royal Road to Card Magic, and after a few weeks am still in chapters 1 and 2. I also watch various YouTube videos to supplement my learning. (whoever does 52Kards is excellent. )
So far, I have learned (not perfected)
- Card control with the overhand shuffle
- The spread cull (this one really got me excited)
- Forcing the top or bottom card in a spread, and
- The Double Lift.
I practice each of these daily.

I recently tried to do a classic pass -- ugh -- I have a long way to go on that one.

Don't do any fancy flourishes, but maybe later (my hands are extremely dry, and even lotion doesn't last very long)

I welcome any and all suggestions, and am looking forward to many years of learning and improving.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
It definitely helps you be more aware of everything that is going on. You learn to watch for things as you learn to direct your audience and watch what they are doing. I don't know if it increases plasticity or anything, but I'm fairly certain it helps your brain work out real world problems better.

I read somewhere that card magic is helping patients who have disorders develop a lot of social skills, and I can talk from experience when I say that performing most definitely helps the social part of your thinking.

Finally, I read a study about how science is used by magicians whilst developing misdirection. It was a scientific study conducted with Apollo Robbins. It isn't the same place I read mine, but I think this is the same thing: https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...s-and-magicians-are-conjuring-brain-insights/

Glad your enjoying Magic, and good luck! If you need any help, make sure you ask here on the forums!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
A couple of thoughts.

First, I like Roberto Giobbi's Card College series as a source for learning than Royal Road. The descriptions are a lot clearer, every step in a sleight is illustrated and he gives checkpoints to make sure you are doing it correctly.

Second, get a book called Scarne on Card Tricks. It has a lot of effects that don't involve sleight of hand and that are fun to perform. That will give you performance material as you learn the sleight of hand.

Third, I'd encourage learning from books. Once you get the basics down, there are a lot of amazing books. Also, I think that learning from books involves more exercise for your brain because you are taking the written word and converting it into an idea, then a visualization and then an action.

As for effects on your brain, learning magic involves reading comprehension, coordination, multi-tasking (you really should be doing something else when you hands are doing a sleight), memory (remembering the order of sleights, the names of sleights and effects, the names of who developed a sleight or an effect, where you learned that slight or effect, as well as developing muscle memory) and creativity (both in developing presentations and in modifying or developing your own sleights).

Reactions: TravelHat

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I use a ton of memory work, improvisation, and mental calculation in my magic. They definitely support each other.

As far as specific studies about magic there are various programs like Project Magic that use magic as a tool for therapy.

This video talks about brain excercise. I really think that most magicians fits his description of healthy brain activities.

Finally if you need evidence to suggest that magic keeps you sharp, look at the examples of Dai Vernon, Ed Marlo and Harry Lorayne (the list goes on) who all performed right up to old age and beyond.

Oct 21, 2017
Thanks everyone for the encouragement - I agree Royal Road takes a lot a "re-reading" to really understand the principle, but that's OK it makes me think about it as I attempt the maneuver. Will check out the the suggested resources a well.

One of my favorite tricks so far is Juan Tamariz's "Follow the Leader". He uses a couple of techniques which I think I could learn, but I'm sure that I could never match his enthusiasm and performance ability. I smile every time I watch it.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
As for your dry hands you should try SortKwik or Golden Touch spray lotion. Get both and see what you like. I've also used Dove as hand soap and found improvement, but at least get some SortKwik.

Oct 21, 2017
Thanks - I will try it.
Sometimes it gets so bad that I have to lightly lick my thumb or finger before doing a move.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results