Card table pass.

Aug 18, 2013
Hi everyone I was wondering if anybody knew of a pass usable while sitting at a table, under normal play conditions?

Apr 17, 2013
Hi everyone I was wondering if anybody knew of a pass usable while sitting at a table, under normal play conditions?

Are you asking for real world use or for gambling demo use for an act? Because trying to use a pass in a real game is asking to get knee capped.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I should have phrased that differently, I'm looking for a gambling demo pass

It depends how accurate you want your demo to be in terms of conforming with real card table procedure. In a performance context you get the advantage of being able to talk to your audience and misdirect at the crucial moment, so any pass that you've practised enough would fit the bill. How are you planning to use the move? As a completely secret action or in a way which would encourage the burning of your hands?

Aug 18, 2013
Are you asking for real world use or for gambling demo use for an act? Because trying to use a pass in a real game is asking to get knee capped.
In Dickie Richards book "How to cheat your friends at poker" he mentions using a classic pass in a real game.
Erdnase also mentions using a classic pass at the card table.

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Of course Erdnase would be the best source to find stuff like this, but I believe there's
a DVD called Shifts, Hops, and Magic Passes by Richard Turner - in this DVD he teaches tons
of different techniques that can be used at the table.

Aug 18, 2013
Of course Erdnase would be the best source to find stuff like this, but I believe there's
a DVD called Shifts, Hops, and Magic Passes by Richard Turner - in this DVD he teaches tons
of different techniques that can be used at the table.
I just checked out the Turner dvd and it looks pretty good,and Im currently working on the two handed shift/classic pass from Erdnase

Apr 17, 2013
In Dickie Richards book "How to cheat your friends at poker" he mentions using a classic pass in a real game.
Erdnase also mentions using a classic pass at the card table.

In a real money game where the deck passes with the button, there is too much heat on your hands trying to nullify the cut. Card players are a different breed then they were 113 years ago. For a gambling demo where you can have misdirection then you can get by with passes.

Aug 18, 2013
In a real money game where the deck passes with the button, there is too much heat on your hands trying to nullify the cut. Card players are a different breed then they were 113 years ago. For a gambling demo where you can have misdirection then you can get by with passes.
Actualy 111 years ago.

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
I just checked out the Turner dvd and it looks pretty good,and Im currently working on the two handed shift/classic pass from Erdnase

Good luck with that!
Richard Turner's DVD is actually really good, so if you want to learn more I highly recommend buying it...it's totally worth it.

You could also perform any kind of Herrman Pass - doing this move while sitting at the table should not be a problem...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2013
Good luck with that!
Richard Turner's DVD is actually really good, so if you want to learn more I highly recommend buying it...it's totally worth it.

You could also perform any kind of Herrman Pass - doing this move while sitting at the table should not be a problem...
Thanks. Ill work on my Herrman pass. Do you think a jiggle pass would look out of place?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks. Ill work on my Herrman pass. Do you think a jiggle pass would look out of place?

In a card game, yes. In a demo, not as much.

Erdnase specifically mentions that it's near impossible to get away with a pass at the card table because the movements are just so difficult to disguise in that moment when everyone will probably be looking at the hand. That's why there's so many passes (And why so many of them are in the legerdemain section). 'He' was constantly looking to find a method that would work without arousing suspicion.

Aug 18, 2013
@ChristopherT
I had the method of holding a break while dealing (Erdnase p56) in mind when i was thinking about the jiggle pass,
after the first deal the pack is jiggled slightly in a squaring action and deposited on the table.

Aug 18, 2013
@ChristopherT
I had the method of holding a break while dealing (Erdnase p56) in mind when i was thinking about the jiggle pass,
after the first deal the pack is jiggled slightly in a squaring action and deposited on the table.
Nevermind just tried it,looks like ****.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think that Erdnase has a lot to teach us about executing a shift at the card table. You have to piece together bits from various places in the book to get the full picture, though. I believe that a thorough reading of the description of the "Bottom Palm, When Cards Are Riffled", the "Shifting the Cut" section, the description of the SWE Shift and, of course, the descriptions of all the Card Table Artifice shifts will provide a substantial quantity of food for thought as regards getting into, executing and getting out of a shift at the card table.

Sep 27, 2013
I cannot remember for the life of me where I saw it, but there was this incredibly interesting method of nulling the cut as you lifted the cards up after an on the table riffle. AS well, I've seen a few interesting takes on the SWE shift that could (in theory) be used on the card table. Maybe a method the could replace the actions of the left hand?

Aug 18, 2013
I cannot remember for the life of me where I saw it, but there was this incredibly interesting method of nulling the cut as you lifted the cards up after an on the table riffle. AS well, I've seen a few interesting takes on the SWE shift that could (in theory) be used on the card table. Maybe a method the could replace the actions of the left hand?
Do you mean the SWE shift two handed method/Classic pass or the Erdnase shift in the legerdemain section?

Sep 27, 2013
The two handed SWE shift is the one I am refering to. For reference, it's the shift in which the left hand holds the deck longitudinally. The method I referred to in the previous post replaces the left hands grip with the pack resting on the table. It's definitely something to play with!

Aug 18, 2013
The two handed SWE shift is the one I am refering to. For reference, it's the shift in which the left hand holds the deck longitudinally. The method I referred to in the previous post replaces the left hands grip with the pack resting on the table. It's definitely something to play with![/QUOTE
I kind of understand,
thanks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results