Card to mouth. Currently inappropriate?

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
So everybody right now is paranoid of getting sick with the swine flu and other flus and colds. I use card to mouth alot at my gigs but I havnt recently becuase I feel it's currently innapropriate. Do you guys agree.

Jun 22, 2009
If its a used deck and you hand it out to be touched then ya.

If its a new deck and you wash your hands then it should be fine.

Jun 27, 2008
Illinois
I don't think it matters at all if its a new deck or if he washed his hands. I mean it does matter in the respect of health and cleanliness but i think the issue the original post is adressing (or how i took it) is how do your clients view this practice. Will they view it as unsanitary and gross or as good entertainment. Personally, I think it will depend largely on, and as shallow as it sounds, appearance. If you look like a clean cut guy and dress well and smell nice then it shouldnt be a problem; in the same way if you look grody or smell bad then they will think you have bad hygene and will think picking a card is gross let alone card to mouth. Just my thoughts

-Clay

May 31, 2008
I was out sick for three days and when I came back people automaticly assumed I had Swine Flu. They changed their minds after I told them my symptoms involved constantly golf clapping and the "I am the Walrus" music video playing in my left eye.

if someone is sick with swine flu or any other flu, they most likely will not be out where you are performing. and the amount of people that even died with the flu is nothing at all.
i think almost more people have died from leprosy this year

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Well, I wouldn't say it's old news (5 people died in Edmonton last week because of it), and it's good that you are being considerate (as many don't think of others).
That said, it's not like you have h1n1, so you shouldn't worry too much. You should probably be more concerned about getting it from them - so avoid doing card to their mouth.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
if someone is sick with swine flu or any other flu, they most likely will not be out where you are performing. and the amount of people that even died with the flu is nothing at all.
i think almost more people have died from leprosy this year

The problem is that people with the flu often are contagious one day before they have symptoms until up to ten days after they have symptoms. So someone could feel perfectly fine and still transmit the virus to others.

Also, the Swine Flu (as well as the normal flu) is pretty serious stuff this year.

From the Centers for Disease Control:

From August 30 – November 7, 2009, 22,364 laboratory-confirmed influenza associated hospitalizations and 877 laboratory-confirmed influenza associated deaths were reported to CDC.​

That is 877 deaths in the U.S. in just over 2 months (September & October). that is pretty close to 100 deaths per week.

I agree that it is inappropriate to do a card to mouth. You are putting yourself at risk (if the spectator has germs on his or her hands that are transmitted to your mouth) but not the spectator (unless you give them the card back).

Do the effect, but stick the card somewhere else. You pocket, your wallet, your shoe, your pants (card to zipper anyone?).

May 9, 2008
Keep in mind for most people who have died from the swine flu are people who already have underlying conditions and are the most at risk. Don't for get that 30,000-50,000 people die each year from REGULAR flu related illnesses...

just wash your hands like you normally would.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Card to mouth is the least of your worries. Do you know how many people have touched the money you have? How many people picked up the same item at the store before you did and decieded that they didn't want it?

If we sat around and worried about this stuff then none of us would...GO OUT PERFORM!!!

Lets worry about other things like (How did that guy get my coin in his ear?)

So everybody right now is paranoid of getting sick with the swine flu and other flus and colds. I use card to mouth alot at my gigs but I havnt recently becuase I feel it's currently innapropriate. Do you guys agree.
for safety issues i wouldn't do card to mouth anyways before this whole swine flu thingy...why? the average random guy/or woman has some type of germ wether its harmful or not...its just natural....

i wouldn't do it...go with your gut and brains...

there are other methods to use...but hey, there are other effects out there...go with them...

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The Flu is only in our minds.

I'll tell that to my co-worker who had Swine Flu and was vomiting constantly for three days and my other coworker who had it and got pneumonia as a complication.

I agree that there is a lot of hype out there and a lot of unnecessary fear being generated over the Swine Flu. However, that doesn't mean that the H1N1 virus doesn't exist or is only a figment of our imagination.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Thats good that you are being considerate. I would go with your gut instinct. You could try it out and see how people react. Obviously, it would be best if you were barely touching the card with your mouth. I personally don't think it would be a huge deal. As long as you preventing the spread of any germs. Its nice to hear of some considerate people. Its been a while since I've seen it.

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Card to mouth is the least of your worries. Do you know how many people have touched the money you have? How many people picked up the same item at the store before you did and decieded that they didn't want it?

If we sat around and worried about this stuff then nIone of us would...GO OUT PERFORM!!!

Lets worry about other things like (How did that guy get my coin in his ear?)

Yeah but you don't put it in your mouth do you. or maybe you do I can only speak for myself but the way I meant the question was would the client feel it's appropriate.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Yeah but you don't put it in your mouth do you. or maybe you do I can only speak for myself but the way I meant the question was would the client feel it's appropriate.

OK, I hear you. If they are that worried about it wouldn't they just stay home. This virus and terrorist stuff is going to be around for awhile and it has been around for awhile. Live for today and lets see what tomorrow will bring.

Anyways you asked them to pick a card and they touch it...where has there hand been?

You should be careful about hygeine whether you're thinking about swine flu or not. Obviously there seems to be a big brou-ha-ha now because scientists are worried about possible mutations... (small chance).

The fact of the matter is whenever your performing card to mouth you should be considering the consequences. You are putting a foreign object in your mouth. I don't think there should be too much of a worry though.

Mitch

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results