Card tricks for a stage act

Feb 23, 2018
Hey guys and girls! So I’ve been in Magic for about a year and a half now and my uncle (who is a pastor at a big church) saw me do a performance for my family and he loved it. He offered to invite me up to his church in St. Louis to perform on stage for this college fundraiser

I’ll be on a big stage with cameras on me and about 200 people staring at me. I mainly only do close up magic so what kind of tricks could I do or look into to impress all of these people?? Or would my close up magic work?? I’m really nervous please help!!!

Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
So camera's are your friend because you control the angles for stage performances. Tricks like Shin Lim's 52 Shades of Red are mostly meant for cameras and environments where you're in complete control of what the audience can and cannot see. That being said, try to find a cohesive theme for your act. All your tricks don't have to flow perfectly but they shouldn't be a random assortment of tricks you pull out of your backpocket. On stage, do some storytelling, try to connect with the audience. Don't preach, that's what the pastor's for. Presentation is 90% of a trick. If presented right, an ambitious card routine can be stage-worthy.

Some suggestions: if you can get a projector connected to a phone, do Asi Wind's Double Exposure. It's relatively expensive for a fantastic trick that has been streamlined to have an extremely easy and angle-friendly handling. Opens itself up for a lot of plots
Since you control the angles, Reformation by Guy Hollingsworth would be fantastic as well. Absolutely killer imo.
A table and close-up pad would allow for gambling routines and other fun stuff. I'd look into black art since it has many applications for stage and camera magic.
Invest in a phantom/Omni deck, those are super fun to play around with.

Best advice is to practice. Practice maybe a few hours a day, a few hours the next, only one hour the day after, then take a break for a day. I find it shows what you can forget easily and what you need to work on. Nervousness will always be present, but practice can help this go away. Have outs for the difficult tricks—the audience won't know if you messed up until you make it obvious. Embrace mistakes, use them to set up for other tricks if possible. If you mess up, it makes you human. Most importantly, have fun! If you have fun while on that stage, the audience will have fun. They'll burn your hands less, be put into a more relaxed state, and be thoroughly entertained. You'll also come out feeling better :D.

Feb 23, 2018
So camera's are your friend because you control the angles for stage performances. Tricks like Shin Lim's 52 Shades of Red are mostly meant for cameras and environments where you're in complete control of what the audience can and cannot see. That being said, try to find a cohesive theme for your act. All your tricks don't have to flow perfectly but they shouldn't be a random assortment of tricks you pull out of your backpocket. On stage, do some storytelling, try to connect with the audience. Don't preach, that's what the pastor's for. Presentation is 90% of a trick. If presented right, an ambitious card routine can be stage-worthy.

Some suggestions: if you can get a projector connected to a phone, do Asi Wind's Double Exposure. It's relatively expensive for a fantastic trick that has been streamlined to have an extremely easy and angle-friendly handling. Opens itself up for a lot of plots
Since you control the angles, Reformation by Guy Hollingsworth would be fantastic as well. Absolutely killer imo.
A table and close-up pad would allow for gambling routines and other fun stuff. I'd look into black art since it has many applications for stage and camera magic.
Invest in a phantom/Omni deck, those are super fun to play around with.

Best advice is to practice. Practice maybe a few hours a day, a few hours the next, only one hour the day after, then take a break for a day. I find it shows what you can forget easily and what you need to work on. Nervousness will always be present, but practice can help this go away. Have outs for the difficult tricks—the audience won't know if you messed up until you make it obvious. Embrace mistakes, use them to set up for other tricks if possible. If you mess up, it makes you human. Most importantly, have fun! If you have fun while on that stage, the audience will have fun. They'll burn your hands less, be put into a more relaxed state, and be thoroughly entertained. You'll also come out feeling better :D.
Thank you so much!! This really helped!!!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Roberto Giobbi has a book called Stand Up Card Magic. Also, a lot of the routines in Guy Hollingsworth Drawing Room Deceptions would work great.

Reactions: Jack_3115

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Also, I don't want to beat a dead horse but please please please practice your act with the camera crew so they know EXACTLY how the effects should look and where they are supposed to stand, angles, and such.
I've been to too many shows where the camera crew hadn't rehearsed, the camera kept losing focus, technology failed and the magician looks like a fool up there just smiling and telling the audience to bear with them.

Feb 23, 2018
Also, I don't want to beat a dead horse but please please please practice your act with the camera crew so they know EXACTLY how the effects should look and where they are supposed to stand, angles, and such.
I've been to too many shows where the camera crew hadn't rehearsed, the camera kept losing focus, technology failed and the magician looks like a fool up there just smiling and telling the audience to bear with them.
I definitely will!!!! Thank you so much!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results