Cardini Change Advice

Im 14 and I Have been doing magic for about a year now and i have always wanted to the cardini change. In the past couple of months ive been working on it, but my pinky is barely big enough to get up on the card. so ive been playing around with middle finger (thats what i do with the venus trap). any tips in any areas of the cardini

Jun 12, 2011
You don't really need alot of your finger in the cardini change. If you even just allow the card to go barely to your nail, you should be able to do the change. If you still find your hand feels "small" just set the deck in a deeper mechanic's grip. Otherwise you'll probably just need to wait for your hand to grow a bit. I'm 16 and my hands are completely fine for the cardini change. Hope that helps

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
I'm around the same age as you and i have been doing the Cardini Change for several months now. I don't really have a solution for your 'pinky' problem you are having because i have very long fingers for my age, which makes the move easier for me. I guess the only thing i can say is try to experiement with different grips and practise the cardini with the grip you find most comfortable.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Just a quick note:

I may be wrong here, but from your brief description, it sounds like you're actually trying to learn the Ego Change, not the Cardini Change. Here's a short post I wrote a year or two ago that describes the differences. Note in particular number 4, which is where I made this inference from (since you talk about your pinky being too small - as for this problem, there's really not much you can do for now, but I think that for many sleights, magicians should feel free to modify slightly so as to suit their hands...).

Hey guys,

For once, a really short post from me. Over the time I've been here, every now and again a post has come up asking what the difference is between a Cardini Change and an Ego Change. And more often than every now and again, a video is posted claiming to be one, when it is in fact the other.

So I just wanted to basically note the key differences between the two. My observations are based off the Cardini Change as published in Hugard's Card Manipulations Series 3 and the Ego Change as taught on the Daniel Garcia Project Vol. 1. However, if I have made a mistake, please let me know.

1. Finger positioning: In a Cardini Change, the third (ring) finger is inserted below the top card, in what is essentially a large finger break. In an Ego Change, all fingers sit on the side of the deck/on top of the deck.

2. Change motion: In a Cardini Change, the top card is carried up and away before the cleanup takes place. In an Ego Change, the top card is carried down and pivoted before the cleanup takes place.

3. Finger motions: In a Cardini Change, the fingers are extended outwards. In an Ego Change, the fingers drag downwards.

4. The finger in question: In a Cardini Change, the ring finger does the work. In an Ego Change, the pinky does the work, pivoting off the middle finger.

I hope this clears up what the differences are between the two changes! They are of course very similar, and both very good; it's a matter of preference picking between them. However, know which one you're picking to avoid looking like a novice.

Just a quick note:

I may be wrong here, but from your brief description, it sounds like you're actually trying to learn the Ego Change, not the Cardini Change. Here's a short post I wrote a year or two ago that describes the differences. Note in particular number 4, which is where I made this inference from (since you talk about your pinky being too small - as for this problem, there's really not much you can do for now, but I think that for many sleights, magicians should feel free to modify slightly so as to suit their hands...).

Hey guys,

For once, a really short post from me. Over the time I've been here, every now and again a post has come up asking what the difference is between a Cardini Change and an Ego Change. And more often than every now and again, a video is posted claiming to be one, when it is in fact the other.

So I just wanted to basically note the key differences between the two. My observations are based off the Cardini Change as published in Hugard's Card Manipulations Series 3 and the Ego Change as taught on the Daniel Garcia Project Vol. 1. However, if I have made a mistake, please let me know.

1. Finger positioning: In a Cardini Change, the third (ring) finger is inserted below the top card, in what is essentially a large finger break. In an Ego Change, all fingers sit on the side of the deck/on top of the deck.

2. Change motion: In a Cardini Change, the top card is carried up and away before the cleanup takes place. In an Ego Change, the top card is carried down and pivoted before the cleanup takes place.

3. Finger motions: In a Cardini Change, the fingers are extended outwards. In an Ego Change, the fingers drag downwards.

4. The finger in question: In a Cardini Change, the ring finger does the work. In an Ego Change, the pinky does the work, pivoting off the middle finger.

I hope this clears up what the differences are between the two changes! They are of course very similar, and both very good; it's a matter of preference picking between them. However, know which one you're picking to avoid looking like a novice.
umm i wasnt describing the ego change and with the cardini i dont think you put your ring finger under the card. it is way to noticeable. try that while lookinging in a mirror it look very obvious ever with some cover

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
umm i wasnt describing the ego change and with the cardini i dont think you put your ring finger under the card. it is way to noticeable. try that while lookinging in a mirror it look very obvious ever with some cover

I don't disagree, but I'm just pointing out that that's how the Cardini is meant to be done. The point isn't whether or not the sleight is good or not, it's just a matter of knowing which is which. If you don't believe me, look up where it's first published, in Hugard's Card Manipulations. Dover reprints has a copy of the entire series in one softcover book for cheap.

Some confusion exists because D&D made a variation of the change which many believe to be the original, but it's not. Described above is how the Cardini Change was intended to be performed, as taught by both the text and the image.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results