Cardistry, Flourishing. Whats the Difference?

Hey,

I'm back from my holiday, and I performed some magic, which was fun. Especially when I got great reactions, I showed somebody a trick, the end result was them having their card in their hand. He freaked out, lol.

Any way as you can see by the title, I've out

" Cardistry, Flourishing. Whats the Difference? "

What I mean by this is, I don't know what exactly is the difference between the two, call me stupid but I honestly don't. So if you could explain the difference in a rather simple way for me to understand, I'll be very grateful.

Also, I've began to do some flourishing, except I don't know what to learn. I know simple shuffles (Riffle, overhand, hindu etc.) and some simple cuts (Swing, charlier, your typical bog standard cut.) So, what I'm asking is does anybody know where or recommend any way easy and affordable flourish DVD's or downloads (I mean not like Genesis etc. Something rather cheap, like on the wire, $0.99)

All responses are greatly appreciated.

TMI

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
There is no difference. Both describe the same thing, some people just rather use the word cardistry instead of flourishing. If I remember correctly the term "Cardistry" was first introduced by the founder of decknique Richard.

So, what I'm asking is does anybody know where or recommend any way easy and affordable flourish DVD's or downloads (I mean not like Genesis etc. Something rather cheap, like on the wire, $0.99)

shameless plug incoming:

http://www.theory11.com/wire/johannes-maußner/coffee/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS1SnkOjaXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-pKocBEAoQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCA_J2YSQqI

all of them are quite easy to learn and I try to make them easy to understand for beginners aswell
Tobias levin has a couple free tutorials aswell on youtube. And check out hector garcias tutorials (one of them is on the wire), pretty sick.

regards,
Joey

Jul 29, 2012
Hey

Well there actually is a difference in Cardistry and Flourishing and it's explained in the united cardists kinda overview and flourishing is more attached to card magic but Cardistry is a seperate thing like XCM (Which is what I'm starting) and before you ask the difference between those two cardistry is more 2 handed cuts and XCM is displays like spreading cards up your arm and catching and juggling cards.

Some cuts you might like try Sybil cut, W.E.R.M, Basic Triangle, Butterfly cut, Rolodex, Tornado cut and if you want cheap flourishes go to Dan and Dave's website go to shop them cardistry I think then they have flourishes that are a bit more advanced and are about $4 - $5

Hope I helped enjoy practicing!

Jan 22, 2012
Dan and Dave's website has a lot of nice cardistry moves for very low prices if you wanna check it out and theory11 has a cardistry 101 download for only 5 dollars I believe.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Flourishing and Cardistry are typically used to describe the same thing - the non magical manipulation of playing cards.

In the not too distant past, magicians have used the term flourishing to describe card manipulation. This upset some card handlers because the wording was used as a means of attaching card manipulation as a subset of magic - an accent to a magic sleight/routine as opposed to being it's own separate art that it had progressed to.

In 2004, David Beyer successfully separated "Flourishes" from magic, and called it "XCM" or Xtreme Card Manipulation. He soon made a failed attempt to trademark the term for himself and claim sole ownership. This ofcourse left a bad impression on the entire community (among many other reasons) which sparked a movement in search for an alternative.

Cardistry came around in 2006 and was proposed by the entire community. Cardistry caught on quickly because it made sense, wasn't cheesy, and didn't belong to any single individual looking to make a profit this way - it belonged to the card enthusiasts who enjoyed the art.

Sometimes, I personally use "flourishing" interchangeably with cardistry. Despite the fact that flourishing used to mean an accent to magic, it has evolved to reference all the crazy stuff you see today. Both are friendly terms for lay people, they sound fun, engaging, and interesting.

Flourishing and Cardistry are typically used to describe the same thing - the non magical manipulation of playing cards.

In the not too distant past, magicians have used the term flourishing to describe card manipulation. This upset some card handlers because the wording was used as a means of attaching card manipulation as a subset of magic - an accent to a magic sleight/routine as opposed to being it's own separate art that it had progressed to.

In 2004, David Beyer successfully separated "Flourishes" from magic, and called it "XCM" or Xtreme Card Manipulation. He soon made a failed attempt to trademark the term for himself and claim sole ownership. This ofcourse left a bad impression on the entire community (among many other reasons) which sparked a movement in search for an alternative.

Cardistry came around in 2006 and was proposed by the entire community. Cardistry caught on quickly because it made sense, wasn't cheesy, and didn't belong to any single individual looking to make a profit this way - it belonged to the card enthusiasts who enjoyed the art.

Sometimes, I personally use "flourishing" interchangeably with cardistry. Despite the fact that flourishing used to mean an accent to magic, it has evolved to reference all the crazy stuff you see today. Both are friendly terms for lay people, they sound fun, engaging, and interesting.

Thank you so much Andrei, I totally understand now. Cardistry = Flourishing and Flourishing = Cardistry. Simple. Now that I understand this, I now have another question, is a cardist basically somebody who does card manipulation or are they different?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results