Cardistry Showdown - Zach vs. Mario and Krist

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Here's what I was thinking during the video.

"Ok. Flourishing video. Terrible music, mute that. Ok, guy's torso fiddling with cards ... guy's crotch, fiddling with cards ... guy's hands fiddling with cards in the woods ... when are they showing anyone else? Is this the first video and the others are going to respond? More of the same .... more of the same ... blah blah blah ... Oh. That was three people. Well, ok then."

Well your music selection wasn't THAT horrible. Actually I've seen Fort Minor used a lot in videos trying to establish some cred in what ever it is that they do (and that song in particular). One thing you may want to consider though- is using the radio edit version of this song so you can avoid the F bomb being dropped.

The video shots are not framed in a way that I found pleasing. Bust or crotch shots work well enough, but there wasn't enough full body or face shots. I couldn't connect with any of the performers emotionally. It was just a bunch of hands being thrown up in my face juggling cards.

I don't understand the vs concept in this video. I understand that you're trying to do a competition between three people, sort of a two on one thing, but there isn't any kind of criteria to define what the audience should be looking for. The average layman doesn't know a thing about cardistry so I'm not sure they'd be able to say with any credit that X person clearly won because of Y things. Maybe some kind of commentary track following the video, or subtitles explaining things that are "cool", or hard but executed beautifully would help solve this better. Also maybe at the end, instead of letting people decide for themselves why don't you just say who you thought won?

I wish you the best, and by all means keep the videos coming. Everyone you do you'll learn more, and get better. Keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
May 30, 2010
Australia
Thanks William. I appreciate the criticism, and it gave me some new insight and ideas on the VS concept I'm struggling to create. It worked for my previous video, which caught fire until now, so I thought the same concept will work in cardistry. I'll take note of what you told me, and work something differently in this type of videos. Thanks once again.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results