Cardistry Standards

May 24, 2015
It's quite relevant to me that at the the foundation of Cardistry one should at least know the Charlier Cut, Scissors Cut, and the Revolution Cut. In fact I would even add the Index Cut to the mix.

Now as I explore 2 handed cuts it's becoming quite evident that to be a cardist, one should at least know the Sybil.

I was wondering are there any other 2 handed cuts that should be standard knowledge to serve as a foundation for any aspiring cardist?

Reactions: ayswl

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
There aren't too many standards in the world of 2-handed cardistry. Everyone's style is a little bit different and not everyone likes the same flourish. Once you learn the one-handed cuts and Sybil, you can really go onto anything from there. Learn what you think looks cool; even make up your own stuff.

That being said, if you're looking for the best foundation for modern cardistry, look no further than Dan & Dave. These guys basically started the modern cardistry movement, and a TON of flourishes are based off their style. They took the style of Sybil and expanded on it. Molecule, Madonna, Pandora and the Werm are all staples in my opinion, and learning them will give you an excellent foundation to build and learn from.

Reactions: ChristopherR2

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I have a question regarding the Index Cut.

I personally did not know of the Index Cut until you brought it up to me.
Can tou explain why you feel the Index Cut should be in a beginners repertoire.

The knly thing I can think of for learning it is to build up to two-handed cuts.
Is this correct? Or is it something else?

May 24, 2015
There aren't too many standards in the world of 2-handed cardistry. Everyone's style is a little bit different and not everyone likes the same flourish. Once you learn the one-handed cuts and Sybil, you can really go onto anything from there. Learn what you think looks cool; even make up your own stuff.

That being said, if you're looking for the best foundation for modern cardistry, look no further than Dan & Dave. These guys basically started the modern cardistry movement, and a TON of flourishes are based off their style. They took the style of Sybil and expanded on it. Molecule, Madonna, Pandora and the Werm are all staples in my opinion, and learning them will give you an excellent foundation to build and learn from.

I just ordered Disc 2 of Trilogy by Dan and Dave. Can't wait to get it and start practicing.

May 24, 2015
I have a question regarding the Index Cut.

I personally did not know of the Index Cut until you brought it up to me.
Can tou explain why you feel the Index Cut should be in a beginners repertoire.

The knly thing I can think of for learning it is to build up to two-handed cuts.
Is this correct? Or is it something else?

ONE
From what I have seen, most one handed cuts are primarily are focused on your non master hand and then you learn to adapt that cut to your master hand. The index cut is the first one-handed cut that I have seen that is primarily focused on your master hand.

TWO
Next the Index Cut is good for building up strength in your fingers. Especially with your middle, ring, and pinky fingers for when you are in the modified straddle grip. That's the grip that I'm currently having issues with and have mentioned in a previous post.

THIRD
Finally you are correct. The index cut does help you build up to two-handed cuts. I'm seeing the index cut used in more two-handed cuts. Plus if you can do an index cut the beginner will have no issues learning the Sybil since it relies specifically on the modified straddle grip.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
I just ordered Disc 2 of Trilogy by Dan and Dave. Can't wait to get it and start practicing.
That's great new's man! Way to take the plunge. I would suggest starting with Molecule 4 first. It was the first I learnt off the DVD and I found it to be the easiest to pick up. Also you can learn Molecule 3 in the Jackson 5 tutorial. It's the first one in the routine and one of my all-time favorite flourishes.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
ONE
From what I have seen, most one handed cuts are primarily are focused on your non master hand and then you learn to adapt that cut to your master hand. The index cut is the first one-handed cut that I have seen that is primarily focused on your master hand.

TWO
Next the Index Cut is good for building up strength in your fingers. Especially with your middle, ring, and pinky fingers for when you are in the modified straddle grip. That's the grip that I'm currently having issues with and have mentioned in a previous post.

THIRD
Finally you are correct. The index cut does help you build up to two-handed cuts. I'm seeing the index cut used in more two-handed cuts. Plus if you can do an index cut the beginner will have no issues learning the Sybil since it relies specifically on the modified straddle grip.

That does help. Thank you.

I'm asking because I'm in the process of mapping out a beginners cardistry tutorial for the wire and I'm trying to see what beginner (and public domain) flourishes would be good to add in--especially since I should probably learn Index Cut if I'm going to do this. Can't learn it until my current project is over.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
That does help. Thank you.

I'm asking because I'm in the process of mapping out a beginners cardistry tutorial for the wire and I'm trying to see what beginner (and public domain) flourishes would be good to add in--especially since I should probably learn Index Cut if I'm going to do this. Can't learn it until my current project is over.
I've been doing cardistry for a while, and I'm not sure I would classify the index cut as a "must learn" I have heard the name before, but I've never learned it. I think learning the swing cut and the swivel cut are much more important than the index cut.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
What makes the swing and swivel cut as 'must learn' for a beginner?
While simple, they are both important foundations for most 2-handed flourishes. They teach you how to break off packets and transfer them (which is useful for any Z-Grip inspired flourish). The swivel cut also teaches you the basics of holding a packet between 2 hands. They are often the first things I teach someone who is interested in Cardistry because they can usually pick it up quickly and have a sense of accomplishment right away. Like I said, they are simple moves, but they get you comfortable with holding cards and with using both hands.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
While simple, they are both important foundations for most 2-handed flourishes. They teach you how to break off packets and transfer them (which is useful for any Z-Grip inspired flourish). The swivel cut also teaches you the basics of holding a packet between 2 hands. They are often the first things I teach someone who is interested in Cardistry because they can usually pick it up quickly and have a sense of accomplishment right away. Like I said, they are simple moves, but they get you comfortable with holding cards and with using both hands.

Thank you for explaining that! Especially since I, admittedly, don't know either of those flourishes.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Thank you for explaining that! Especially since I, admittedly, don't know either of those flourishes.
I don't even know if you can consider them flourishes. I learned them both from the world of card magic. The swing cut is commonly referred to as the Magician's Cut and the swivel is just a fancy way of doing the swing cut. Here's a video showing both of them.

May 24, 2015
I was just thinking that maybe there should be a pinned post here on the basic cardistry standards that we should all know about. Starting off with the basic one-hand cuts, basic flourishes, and then where to go from there. Especially with two hand cuts. I've seen it quite common where people like myself purchase the Genesis V1 but they don't know where to go from there.

Starting off as a beginner is rough and you kind of have to finger out the proper learning path. Maybe it would cut down on the learning curve and make cardistry more popular if we provided a basic road map that people could follow to get started on the right path?

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
I was just thinking that maybe there should be a pinned post here on the basic cardistry standards that we should all know about. Starting off with the basic one-hand cuts, basic flourishes, and then where to go from there. Especially with two hand cuts. I've seen it quite common where people like myself purchase the Genesis V1 but they don't know where to go from there.

Starting off as a beginner is rough and you kind of have to finger out the proper learning path. Maybe it would cut down on the learning curve and make cardistry more popular if we provided a basic road map that people could follow to get started on the right path?
Reddit has a decent list of flourishes for beginners, but after you learn the basics, I'm not sure there is a "Correct" learning path. You kinda just need to dive right in a learn what interests you. You're lucky you have Genesis 1&2 to learn from. My first Cardistry DVD was The Trilogy, and it was extremely difficult to learn from. Especially since I learned everything backwards because I'm left handed. I got most of it down though!

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that no flourish is impossible; not matter how hard it looks. It just takes a shit ton of practice and patience. And while following a set path might help some people, it really isn't necessary. You can honestly learn any move at any time.

May 24, 2015
Reddit has a decent list of flourishes for beginners, but after you learn the basics, I'm not sure there is a "Correct" learning path. You kinda just need to dive right in a learn what interests you. You're lucky you have Genesis 1&2 to learn from. My first Cardistry DVD was The Trilogy, and it was extremely difficult to learn from. Especially since I learned everything backwards because I'm left handed. I got most of it down though!

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that no flourish is impossible; not matter how hard it looks. It just takes a shit ton of practice and patience. And while following a set path might help some people, it really isn't necessary. You can honestly learn any move at any time.

I understand that there is no "correct" learning path. I'm saying we should at least provide a path or several paths to choose from. Not many people know where to go or what those paths even are.

Not only is learning Cardistry hard but understanding what actual path to take is even more of a challenge.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I understand that there is no "correct" learning path. I'm saying we should at least provide a path or several paths to choose from. Not many people know where to go or what those paths even are.

Not only is learning Cardistry hard but understanding what actual path to take is even more of a challenge.

Agreed. I try to tell people WHY Charlier, Revolution, and scissor cuts are important to learn, instead of just telling them only the cuts and let them figure it out

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013

I think I have to agree with Bryant on this one. Once you learn the basics that you have listed at the top of this thread, it's really up to you to make your own path. Cardistry is a personal expression and everyone has their own style. It's like playing an open-world video game. Once you've learnt the basics, you're set free onto the world, and it's up to you to explore and figure out where you want to go.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results