Cardists and Stereotypes?

Do you think Cardistry is linked to Stereotypes?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Jun 27, 2018
line-divider.png

THE SUBJECT :p
There has been a question that has intrigued me for a long time and I would like to see the views of other people on this question as well. Do Cardists or people who perform Cardistry face stereotyping? As a person who does Cardistry myself, I have been asked many times if I was able to do magic tricks, although I have informed them that I do not. Is it normal that people view anyone holding a deck of cards in public as a magician? Since then I have always wondered whether other Cardists face this problem as well or other problems. It would be great if everyone shared on this post.

PLEASE COMMENT BELOW :D
Have you found out any link between Cardistry and Stereotyping? What are your experiences?

line-divider.png

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
First if all i love your use of images and borders in this post. Looks great! Secondly i think there are stereotypes for lretty much everyone lol but if you want to know specifics, yes i am sure there are plenty of stereotypes for cardists.

One i have heard personally from several people is that cardists generally think they are better than magicians. I always think it is silly hearing this because they are not even the same artform.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
In today's culture the only things people know about that use cards are card games and magic. If you're standing around with cards, you're probably not playing a card game, so they're going to assume you're doing magic.

I suppose that is a stereotype, but I've always associated stereotype with a negative connotation. I think this is just a case of people seeing something out of the ordinary and trying to sort it into a place in their mind.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
I agree with Christopher. I think the stereotype is not because cardists are stereotyped, but because playing cards are stereotyped.

If you are not using playing cards for card games, and are doing flourishy type things, then you must be into card magic, right? That's what most people think, simply because they have never been exposed to cardistry, and they assume you must do card magic.

I think it's just because cardistry is a new art form that most people are entirely unfamiliar with. Over time, perhaps that may change, if cardistry continues to grow and mature, and becomes more well known.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

GavHern

Elite Member
Nov 24, 2015
California, USA
gavhern.com
Cardistry is not very well known while magic is really commonly known... I feel like this is to be expected yet still annoying to be a cardist and be treated like a magician. There is nothing we can really do besides push cardistry more mainstream..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results