Cards and Humidity

Jul 10, 2008
I read these forums frequently, but am rather quiet when it comes to posting. I chime in whenever I feel necessary and now I finally am confused/frustrated enough to start a thread. I flew down to Atlanta, GA for a few days for some company business and I brought 2 Guardian decks with me. After the first night of being here one deck started to stick together and swell up a bit. At first I thought it was due to me not washing my hands properly after dinner, thinking I got grease or something on the cards. But then the second deck started to swell, so much so that the deck is very difficult to remove from the card clip.

Right then I thought about humidity, but got confused as I live in Iowa which has very high humidity and have never run into this problem before. In fact, the Georgia weather does not feel as humid as home (?!). So, to test my theory I laid out the card, spread across my close up mat, to attempt to let the cards breathe and release some moisture. I returned a few hours later and picked up the cards. This time they were difficult to handle as they felt damp, in fact they even started to curl a bit on the edges.

So, now I know it is the humidity, but am still frustrated/confused as it still does not feel more humid than home. Has this happened to any of you? Are these cards able to be saved by use of silica gel or some other moisture absorbing substance? I plan on purchasing a large number a Guardians in the future, since they are my preferred deck, but don't want to discard a deck if it can be saved and used for extra cards or what-not. Thanx in advance for your help fella's and gal's, I know I'm relatively unknown here, but believe me you all have helped before in one way or another, I'm just quiet by nature. Thanx, much love from the Midwest.

John

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi John,

A few answers... It's been Winter where I am so no real humidity, but I should think that any humidity level different from what you are used to would be noticed physically - but being used to Iowa, you would probably be more used to the humidity. I dunno, but I mean, sometimes senses can deceive too, and decks do funny things as well.

As far as silica gel, I don't know if it'd do a whole lot - I've never tried it, but I don't think it'd help more than a very little - they won't be anywhere near normal again, I'm sure of that. But by all means, save the cards, use them as dupes, tear them, switch them with a new card and force it for tricks that require signing.

Thanks for posting, good to see you posting, sorry I couldn't be of more help..

That was a great post for your first post. I can't really help but what I can say is that after that your cards are getting sticky, you must find a way to play with them for awhile in a air conditioned area. After that, they might not be as good as before but it at least saves them a bit.

Sorry for the bad english. I speak french.

Jul 10, 2008
Thanx Guys! I actually just got home and even though the cards still feel swollen, as it's still very difficult to remove them from the card clip, they are fanning better. I guess now I don't have to switch to bikes to perform Torn or any signed card effect. So now I have an excuse to break open another pack. Thanx again guys, all you help and advice is very much appreciated.

John

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Honestly? It's impossible to completely prevent - just as you can't prevent cards from getting old or worn, sooner or later, it will happen. You can minimise the effect of humidity though by doing things like performing only indoors, keeping the deck outside of the box for as little time as possible, having clean hands, returning the cards to a card clip, switching decks on a short rotational basis.

Took my black tiger on holiday with me to Egypt and after a week of doing stuff by the pool the crad were as if I had been using them for a month none stop the humidity bent them everyway but loose it was if I had done mind bender with the entire deck.

although when I did do mind bender the effect was amazing as the heat made the card bend more.

I stuck my pack in the fridge in the apartment and they were fine

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Humidity will affect your cards. I took several decks on vacation with me to Florida last year, and they were all kinds of warped. I would follow praetoritevong's advice, if you do this things, your cards should be in good shape.

Cheers,
TDA

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results