Chad Nelson's Classic / Riffle Pass

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Looks pretty good to me. I don't like all the riffling before the pass, but that's just a preference thing. I think that would do very well in a performance.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
It looked okay. My qualm would be with the way he riffles the first and second (legit) times look completely different than when he does the move. It's slow riffle, slow riffle, quick change of cards with no riffling...

The pass itself was done well, way over my skill level, but the motions should be uniform. If you riffle slowly twice, you should have the same slow riffle after the pass to shield the reveal and, hopefully, make the moment magical as opposed to surprising.

Again, I am a side stealer myself, so my pass isn't even close to being considered a move yet...just a semi-hidden fast cut of the cards.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well, I'm a believer that if you want to really master any move, you should gather as many resources regarding that move as possible. Since I want to get good at the pass, I'll probably pick this download up at some point.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I think magicians evaluate passes very very differently from the way laymen would. We feel that a pass is good if we cannot see the packets transpose. However, we seem to ignore the other tells that make the move suspicious.

The reason the color change itself works is that from a typical angle, you won't see the packets transpose, but all the finger movement spoils the illusion. I mean, look at how much his right fingers (especially the pinky) moves. The spectator will surely spot that.

Also, he practically molests the cards before the move. This is something that might be ok in a color change, but you won't be able to use it as a secret control with all that fiddling around.

In my opinion, Chad Nelson's Riffle pass would work well as a color change provided he doesn't riffle the cards so violently before the actual move.

If anyone wants to use his pass as a card control, they will have to figure out a way to get rid of some the tells. That is something that will take experimentation and lots of practice.

Dec 5, 2007
If you can use your brain is quit easy to understand that you dont need to riffle as he does it, its just the way he likes to do it.

Dec 5, 2007
I would also like to add that all classic passes has some kind of tells no matter how you aproach it. Jason Englands pass is so good that it is insane but if you looked at it when he did it there is always that something to see.

When done as a control, use missdirection and do the shift as the hands come together and it will be done long before they follow you down to the pack.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
If you can use your brain is quit easy to understand that you dont need to riffle as he does it, its just the way he likes to do it.

Just because you can shoot yourself in the foot (or in the head) doesn't mean you have to. Why does he have to molest the cards again? Is the illusion improved by that? I think not.

My criticism of his pass is still valid because he gave three demos in the video, and all of them involved violently riffling the cards while performing the color change. Why not put up an invisible demo without all the hand wringing (like in the spread pass video)?

I'm not saying that there is nothing one can learn from his download. The only thing I'm saying is that you will need to put in lots of extra work and consult plenty of other sources before you can use his ideas in your pass.

In case you were wondering, I'm still working on my classic pass and I find Erdnase's description to be a good starting point.

Dec 5, 2007
Well if you dont have masterd the classic pass it might not be a goos starting point, but for anyone with experience with the pass this video is a true gem.

And why the riffeling? Well i dont know, you have to ask him but thats the way he likes to do it, but i dont really find that to be a problem. If you dont want to riffle, dont riffle and it will just be a very quick classic pass.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
There are a few things I do not like about his pass, most of these however are more personal prefence then anything else. It is a very forceful pass in the sense he is tense, even if the spectator doesn't see the pass they know something is happening. This is great for a colour change but not for a control. The other issue is that the intial riffles before the pass, I know why he does them and agree to an extent with them but it seems like he always does three riffles and the last being the one with a pass.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Does anyone here got the download? I have a question about the move. Could someone who can help me out write here or send me a pm?

Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
The thing I liked with this video was how Chad gets the break. I feel like the break is less agressive and easier to maintain than the standard method. But I still practice the method taught in EATCT, in addition to Chad's as well.

-Vinny

Feb 16, 2010
He doesn't have the move perfected yet. Steve Draun and Derek Dingle has loads of work on the pass from 20-30 years ago that has been published and looks significantly better. I also recommend Ken Krenzel's work on the pass.

Take a look at this video and see the difference between this handling and Chad's handling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9mG4_2qYU

Dec 5, 2007
He doesn't have the move perfected yet. Steve Draun and Derek Dingle has loads of work on the pass from 20-30 years ago that has been published and looks significantly better. I also recommend Ken Krenzel's work on the pass.

Take a look at this video and see the difference between this handling and Chad's handling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9mG4_2qYU

I dont know about that. Kens pass is fantastic as is Jason Englands as you can see here on theory11 but they are both very hard to do and we have to keep in mind that it took them 20 - 30 years to get them to look that good.

Chads pass is very "Doable" but i agree that they both are better looking, but that does not mean that Chads approach is not good.

Its also unfair to compare the videos, Chads is shot in daylight with a HD camera, the video you posted is filmed with low light on a low frame web cam or something. My pass which is only medicore does look pretty insane on a low rate cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results