Chad Nelson's Surfaced

Apr 28, 2008
Surfaced

Production
- This was produced by Dan and Dave Buck so the layout and music of the DVD is very similar in style to The Tricks DVD of the Trilogy.

Watch
- This section shows Chad Nelson performing all the effects on Surfaced for a live audience. Chad Nelson is very likeable and entertaining. I always like DVD's with real world performances for real people. I find it quite painful to watch DVD's when it's just the magician performing every single effect on the DVD for one spectator who is obviously only their because they're being paid.

Difficulty
- Many of the effects on this DVD are very difficult and will require considerable practice, I think the difficulty is similar to The Trilogy although some of the effects are probably a bit harder. This is not for a beginner. Before buying this DVD you should be comfortable with Double and Triple lifts, Passes, Culling, Shuffling, False cuts etc. Chad Nelson teaches his own sleights however any others he uses are shown but not explained.

Learn
- This section teaches sleights created by Chad Nelson that will be used to do the effects, most if not all of them use the Clip Shift in some way.

The Clip Shift
- The Clip Shift is explained. The teaching is very clear and Chad goes over the positioning of every finger, this will allow you to pick up this sleight fairly quickly. It will take a lot of practice but is definitely acheivable. This is an incredibly versatile sleight, it can be used as a colour change, appearance, steal, vanish, control. A booklet is included which also explains the Clip Shift, it may be easier to learn from the booklet as you can see exactly where each finger should be at each part of the sleight without having to keep rewinding the DVD. This Clip Shift has good angles and can be performed for a reasonably large group of people, I imagine the angles will improve as you get better at the sleight and can do it quicker and with less movement from your fingers.

The Dribble Control - You dribble the cards and ask the spectator to say stop, you show them the card then dribble the rest of the cards apparently losing the selection in the deck. This is a very clean control, I will be using it a lot when I have learnt the Clip Shift. This appears very fair to the spectator as the card is never taken out of the deck so it seems like you have no opportunity to do anything with it.

Colour Changes
- Chad explains various ways to use the Clip Shift as a colour change, all use the same basic technique but appear to be quite different to the spectator.

Basic move
- This is the basic colour change using the Clip shift while shaking the deck. This is very visual and impossible looking as every finger can be seen the whole time and none of them appear to move.

Chad then gives some tips on finger positioning to make the basic change look even more impossible.

Winter Change
- Chad shows how to do John Cornelius' Winter Change by using the Clip shift. I've never really liked the Winter change but this variation is much easier (When you can do the Clip shift) and in my opinion a bit cleaner.

All around square up change
- Chad explains how to do the Clip Shift while doing an all around square up, I probably wouldn't use this as a Colour change, I think it would be more appropriate as a vanish.

Lift off vanish - You lift a card off the top of the deck and it vanishes in your hand. This is one of the best applications of the Clip shift and I will be regularly using it. When Chad does this it is incredibly convincing and it really looks like the card vanishes from his hand.

Blow change
- You blow on the card on top of the deck and it changes. Yet another colour change using the Clip shift. A nice change that will be useful in some situations.

Space change
- An interesting Colour change, I don't think i'll be using this one as I think the grip looks a bit strange. I'm sure some people will find a use for it.

Palming
- Chad explains various way to get steal a card into Classic and Tenkai palm using the Clip Shift. I'm not going to go through each one as they're so similar, they are all very useful and in my opinion cleaner than a side steal.

The 26 Shift - This is a one handed pass. It is very difficult and is going to take considerable practice, I can't see myself performing this for several months. This isn't going to replace your Classic pass but It is an incredible move that has many applications, a few are covered on the DVD and i'm sure you will think of many more yourself. Chad also teaches you how to do a One handed top card cover pass using this technique, this will take even more practice but it will definitely be worth it.

Achieve

Chad explains the effects shown in the performance section. Many of these effects are quite flashy and wouldn't be out of place on The Trilogy. Howver they appear to be far more practical for use in the real world than many of the effects from The Trilogy.

All the effects are very well credited. The credits appear both on screen and in the explanations where Chad explains the various routines that have inspired the effect.

Free Fall
- This is the elevator card effect in reverse.

The card falls through the deck and for the last phase of the effect falls into the spectators hand. This is a great effect but will take considerable practice as it uses both the Clip Shift and the 26 Shift.

Fourplay - A 4 part inversion routine. The spectator selects a card and pushes it in, you then spread the deck and show it has turned face up. The card then turns face down again while the cards are spread. You then spin the card out of the deck and it turns face up once more. The spectators then sticks the card in the deck, the entire deck then turns face up around the face down card.

I don't know many inversion routines so I don't know how original this is but it is nice and practical so I think i'll be using it. It's not the most amazing effect ever (although the final phase is very impressive) but seems fun to do. I think it would be good to use in the middle of your routine, maybe as the 2nd or 3rd effect.

Criterion - You produce the 4 Aces and hand them to a spectator. Three spectators each select a card and you lose them in the deck. You then take back the Aces one at a time and visually vanish each one. You then spread the deck to show they have reappeared in the centre with the selections between them.

This is the best in the hands collectors routine I have ever seen, it is differentiated from other routines by the VERY visual vanishes of the aces. This is one of my favourite effects from the DVD and I will be using it all the time when I have learnt it.

Rum Jungle - 2 Spectators each select a card, you lose them both in the deck. You then take the top card of the deck and ask if it is their card, it isn't. You shake this card in your right hand and shake it and it changes (while face up) into the first spectators selection. You then hand the card to the second spectator and ask them to shake it. It changes into their selection.

This is a simple routine that would be a great opener as it is quick and visual. It is also contains one of the best colour changes I have seen that doesn't use the deck.

Tricycle - You show 3 spectators the same card. You then take 3 cards out of the deck and show them to the spectators and ask if their card is one of them. They all say it isn't their. You hand each of them one of 3 different cards, they turn the cards over and each spectator finds that they are holding the card the card you showed them, each card is different.

This is a longer routine that is a bit different to some of the quick and flashy effects seen on the DVD. I don't think this would work in a noisy setting, it is far more appropriate when somewhere quiter when you have your spectators full attention. If they aren't concentrating properly I think they may miss the point of the effect and not follow what has happened. In the right circumstances I will be performing this.

Clean Hook
- A spectator selects a card, you then swivel the card out of the centre of the deck face down. You take the deck behind your back and when you bring it back out you show that you have found the 3 mates of their selection.

This is a nice 4 card production that makes a great lead in to Criterion. I'm not to sure about the part where you take the cards behind your back. The spectators may think it was more impossible because you couldn't see the deck or they may just think 'He just did a move when the cards where behind his back'. I'll try it out and see how what my audiences think of it.

More

This is the bonus section of the DVD

Friends - This contains some applications for the Clip Shift by some other magicians, most of these aren't full effects but are very interesting and you will probably be able to find ways to incorporate them into your own routines.

#&*! Off - This is the double Colour change seen in the preview, you will need a couple of gaffed cards to achieve this effect but I think it is worth it as it looks so clean.

New York - I don't really know what to say about this, it's possibly one of the strangest videos i've ever seen.

Trailer - This is the trailer from Dananddave.com

Conclusion
- The trailer claims that it will change your magic forever, i've heard claims like these many times before and they are rarely true. However, this time I think it is. The Clip Shift and the 26 Shift are going to replace many of the sleights I currently use and I think I will regularly be using several of the effects on the DVD, so to some extent I think this will change my magic forever.

Nov 1, 2007
He said it was produced by Dan and Dave, so you should probably check their site.

Was I the only one who found the 26 Shift to be ten times easier than the Clip Shift? I understood it within a couple minutes and since have perfected it, while I'm still working to get the cover right on the Clip Shift.

Apr 28, 2008
He said it was produced by Dan and Dave, so you should probably check their site.

Was I the only one who found the 26 Shift to be ten times easier than the Clip Shift? I understood it within a couple minutes and since have perfected it, while I'm still working to get the cover right on the Clip Shift.

Perhaps it's just very knacky, i've been trying it and it seems very difficult, I just can't consistently get the top packet to clear the bottom one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results