Change by Lloyd Barnes

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
I have just unpackaged this and, well, I feel a little flat. There isn't really any excitement about the product, whereas after watching the trailer I was very excited.

I'll admit that I have not yet watched the instruction video, which is a sore point. I knew before I bought it that it didn't come with a dvd, but I still don't understand or agree with this. The instruction video may change my opinion, but at the moment I see myself possibly using two out of the five gimmicks.

For me, the string gimmick and the angels gimmick are too delicate. The instruction video may change my mind, but not likely. The King gimmick is ok and usable. The back gimmick is in my opinion the best.

Now to the coin gimmick. This gimmick really annoyed me. The silver to copper coin could be cool, if it came as shown in the trailer, as a coin. What I didn't expect was for a card to arrive that I would then have to cut the coin out of. Having to cut the coins out means A.) getting the shape right may not happen and B.) the gimmicks may not last long. This just screams lazy to me.

I'm hoping that I'll change my opinion once I've watched the instruction video and actually performed with it, but right now I'm thinking there were probably better ways to spend £30 (product + shipping).

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
I feel bad for you. I really don't like it as well but I'm afraid to say the instruction is really not that great. I feel that the instruction almost mocks the precision changes in the trailer and it may be disappointing as well for you too.
I was actually just about to update this post after watching the video and I have to say I agree with you Bryant, the video is not great.

For me, Change definitely belongs in the Flop thread you created, in fact I'm going to pop over there now to add to the flop list.

Jun 3, 2015
Lake District, UK
I was surprised by the coin too, it sounds stupid to be disappointed by something so simple but it would have been so simple to do in a workshop when the gimmicks were being made, but instead you'll end up with people that want to use it but can't because they mess up when cutting it out.

Although I feel like someone has just lifted my wallet I think I am actually one of the lucky ones because I'll only be performing it for my niece so she can sit on my lap so I know she is seeing what she is supposed to.
Actually, others may get lucky with that approach. "Excuse me ma'am, can I show you something magical? Just pop yourself right here on my lap and we'll get started."
I think I've just made Change something worth having. Enjoy guys ;)

Reactions: Bryant_Tsu

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
I'll write my typical review format for change.
Here it is...

Method: 7/10
The method behind this trick is nothing new. It is something that has probably made its way into cereal boxes and business cards alike. This is the first use I've seen of the method for the explicit "magic" aspect. I give some kudos to Lloyd Barnes for looking at the device and thinking "this could be a neat card effect", inspiration from that is not something everyone has but this trick didn't pan out.

Instruction: 6.5/10
The instruction is pretty bland. It looks to be that they recorded in a empty studio so the setting isn't that nice. There are very few angles and it almost feels like they plopped the tripod down and said let's get this over with. I know that Ellusionist can do a great job filming as I was impressed with their Messado Rings instructional DVD, but Change pales in comparison. I also feel like some of the explanations are mocking the precision of the change that could be seen in the trailer. The instruction for a couple of the tricks pretty much said "wave the card around so that they can see it change a couple times"... Seriously?

Price: 6/10
Now the price seemed great when the trick was released, thirty dollars for ultra visual magic. However it feels like highway robbery now that I've seen (and tried to perform with) the quality of the gimmicks. Again, I hate to say it but this is something you could expect to come from a cereal box or a bag of Cracker Jack, but not from a serious magic company.

Quality: 5/10
Oh man, the quality isn't that great. Upon watching the trailer I was treated to a super visual color change that appears to happen right in front of the camera. In reality you (and your spectators) can tell something is wrong with the card from three feet away, and it is a dead giveaway at two feet or less. Three of the cards look rasterized (pixelated) due to the low quality (unless it's a defect) even at an arms length away, up close all of the cards have some degree of pixelation. All of them have a unnatural sheen to them (unrivaled by even the glossiest card finishes out there) with one even more glossy than the others. Other problems include black or shiny dots (either on the print job or the sheen) which may point to some quality control issues.

I did perform this trick once for a 7 year old who promptly said when I pulled out the gimmick "What is wrong with the card? It looks shiny." If a kid can tell something is fishy, any adult can.

Overall: 6/10
I feel a little scammed by Ellusionist. There was considerable hype about the product, on camera it lived up to it, and it sold out in a couple days. This was probably due to the fact that they didn't want it to stick around and let people wait for the reviews to roll in, now that 2,000 people have these if half wanted to return it Ellusionist is looking at a loss of $30,000. Chances are they will not accept returns to cut their losses, which loses them potentially great customers like me. Honestly, what card magician would ever find this practical? Most card magic is for close up, with interaction from the spectator. These gimmicks are ONLY usable on stage where distance will hide the discrepancies. Now I am getting stonewalled by Ellusionist (no returned calls, and their email support is trying to convince me that there is almost no way I can get a refund, and that I can get help to "work around any performance problems") and will never probably have this resolved.

On a sidenote I would like to thank theory11 for NOT doing this. I remember my first purchase from theory11 was defective. I was able to get in touch with support quickly and the matter was resolved without frustration (theory11's support team didn't try to get me to simply "work around any issues", they replaced it free of charge). Since then I have and will continue to purchase merchandise from theory11 because they didn't give me all this hassle as a first time customer. Ellusionist meanwhile, I thank you for the one good purchase (my linking rings), but because you do this to your customers when something goes wrong, Goodbye.

Peace,
-Bryant

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
Actually, others may get lucky with that approach. "Excuse me ma'am, can I show you something magical? Just pop yourself right here on my lap and we'll get started."
I think I've just made Change something worth having. Enjoy guys ;)
Ha! He made Change true to its word. Five Visual Miracles that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE (with numerous restraining orders).

Reactions: leighelkins
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results