Chaotic Card Magic

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Hey all,

I'm working on developing a routine, and I would love to hear people's input on trick ideas, techniques, etc. It seems like a pretty simple premise, so any creative ideas would help flesh it out. If any of you have seen Lennart Green's "Poker Deal", and pretty much anything by Juan Tamariz (although Triple Coincidence is a strong inspiration here), you know that strange coincidences and cards going from disorder to order can appear quite magical.

So, if I wanted to build a routine where I portray a bumbler with the cards (not much of a stretch for me...), who always drops a few cards a la Green, shuffles messily, etc. and yet has amazing coincidences and miraculous organization of the cards, what sorts of tricks might you all suggest?

Just for clarity, I do plan on using Tamariz' Mnemonica for some of the tricks near the end, then switch to Stay Stack to miraculously bring all of the cards back to NDO as a finale, however I won't need any prep before that, so go crazy. I'd prefer to use normal cards for the entire routine, unless something insane is suggested that uses a gaff I can live with.

One last thing: If you can recommend some really good false shuffles that look sloppy and crazy (Lennart Green's Eternal Chain & Rosetta shuffles, Triumph shuffle), or any other tricks to make the audience think everything is chaotic when it really isn't, throw them out!

Thanks for the time it took to read this. Love to hear everyone's ideas!

Mnemonimage

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
That's perfectly okay. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and respond nonetheless. In fact, you definitely got what I was going for, since you referred me to someone I took as heavy inspiration for this routine I'm creating, so thanks again. I'm not sure if I'm just too much of a n00b, or if the subjects I'm bringing up aren't very exciting, but not too many people seem to be responding, so I appreciate anyone who includes me in "the club".

Let me know if you come up with any other tricks or techniques you can recommend!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but have a look first at Malone's Sam the Bellhop, and then Danny Garcia's impromptu version of the effect for inspiration. The general gist might work for you, the plot seems to fit nicely.

Some multiple card control effects such as the one Ricky Jay performs, with, obviously, less apparent co-ordination and different presentation, might work nicely too.

I guess also that a nice branch of magic to delve into would be comedy magic. I'm definitely no expert in that area, but it's probably worth looking into, since I'd venture that that could form the basic premise of many such acts.

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Thank you! That's the kind of thing I was looking for. I'm definitely not going for the comedy aspect, but comedy routines may indeed have some of the kinds of moves and tricks I'm looking for, and easily adapted with different patter, etc. I didn't even consider looking at that kind of thing, but once you mentioned it, I can totally see it.

I'll definitely look into Ricky Jay (he's awesome) too. Can you recommend any specific performances or books that would show off his controls?

Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Wow, that is an amazing trick. Just the memory alone is impressive...

I actually had never seen Ricky Jay do any "magic tricks". I had always seen him perform more "gambling demonstrations" and demonstrate voluminous knowledge of the history of magic, etc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results