Character / Persona

Feb 17, 2018
Hello all.

I know this subject has come up a few times (I'm assuming it has) but I wanted to ask myself anyway.

I've been working my way through the books i have been doing cards tricks on people i know, i have ventured and performed a couple tricks on people in my local town.

Now in general whether it's someone I know or not i still tend to forget word or shake a bit ,now i have started to control the shaking and my words but it got me thinking.

I have thought about using the fact that I do forget what to say or even shake as an advantage, in my head if the spectator is focusing on what I'm trying to say they won't be focusing on the cards (i can control my hands if i start to panic / shake)

Now i know some people use a character or persona different to how they are in day to day life, but I'm thinking of using my "flaws" if you want to call them that as my sort of persona.

I wanted to know what your options are on the subject as all of you have a good knowledge of what would work in any situation.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The flaws can certainly be a part of the character you portray, sure.

I think it's safe to say that many/most magicians simply perform as themselves with portions of their normal personality magnified. While I would't suggest magnifying a flaw too much, there's nothing wrong with working a flaw into the presentations so that the scripting covers any problems those flaws may create.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The answer is you can do it, but the real question is should you do it? Shaking and nervousness come from a lack of connection with the audience. It is a reaction to the primal question of is this person going to like me or are they going to try to kill me?

The way to get around this is to structure your presentation so that you get a positive reaction with the audience as you begin your performance. This usually doesn't involve doing a quick trick, but rather engaging in a conversation (in close up) or a reactive monologue (stage and parlor). This gets positive feedback in answers to questions, laughs or, most importantly, interest in what you are doing. When the primitive recesses of your brain realize that the audience isn't going to kill you and they like you, you will find that the shaking and nervousness dissipate. As proof of this, most people who are nervous say that they get over it after the first effect is completed -- why? Because they have gotten positive feedback from the audience.

As for forgetting words, that is because you haven't scripted what you are going to say and you haven't rehearsed the script (i.e. saying it while you are doing the effect) sufficiently. If you get to the point where you have rehearsed the script so that it come out as being natural there is a secondary effect beyond knowing what to say... you become less nervous because the words you say [and the silent script you say to yourself) are anchored to the actions you are performing. As a result, your brain focuses on what you are saying and your actions become automatic. Once actions become automatic, there is no more shaking.

Example 1

Magi: Do you want to see a card trick?
Spect: No. Oh, well OK.
Magi: Pick a card.
Spect: OK.
Magi: Look at is, show a friend, memorize it, put it back in the deck.
Spect: OK
Magi: Would it be amazing if your card was reversed in the deck?
Spect: Not really, but sure.
Magi: Look.
Spect: Pretty cool.. Can I go now?

Example 2

Magi: Human brains only remember a fraction of what we actually see... the rest our brains fill in based on a combination of prior experience and imagination.
Spect: [they make eye contact and when you pause you can see they are thinking about what you said]
Magi:When you drove here tonight, do you specifically remember starting your car? Do you specifically remember locking the door when you left?
Spect: [one or two will smile or react in a way that says they really don't remember]
Magi: [Looking at one spectator that reacted]. Yeah, exactly. [Looking at everyone] When you drive to work, do you remember the details of everything you pass, or do you just notice things that are different than usual? If there was something different, something really out of the ordinary -- like a dozen cows on the interstate... you would remember that. But if it is a typical commute, you wouldn't be able to remember any of the mundane details.
Spect: [people will react by thinking and by internally saying, "yeah, I never really thought about that, but I do"]
Magi: I want you to do something mundane. I want you to pick a card... if you've ever seen a magician before, picking a card is so standard, it is almost cliche. [Spectator picks card]. What makes this different, is the card you picked. Because that is different, I want you to remember it and show it to your friends so that they remember it. Now stick it back in the deck. [Spectator sticks it back in the deck]. Typically, this is when the magic trick usually begins, where things get exciting [hands deck to another spectator]. Sometimes buried in the mundane, is the mysterious. In not paying attention to the ordinary, we miss the extraordinary. What card did you select?
Spect: The Eight of Diamonds.
Magi: Although you selected a face down card out of a face down deck and the replaced the same card face down into the same face down deck, I know that there is a single card in that deck that is face up. Wouldn't that be extra ordinary if that card was your Eight of Diamonds?
Spect: [looking at deck with other spectator and seeing their card reversed]. WTF? When did that happen?
Magi: When the ordinary becomes something extraordinary.

Feb 17, 2018
Thank you both for your feedback.

No i don't practice what I'm going to say and the reason for that is at the moment I'm only showing the tricks to family members, i know this is both good and bad but it gives me a chance to test the trick to see the reaction and also the first time I do it i just say what comes to mind, if the person I do it to doesn't listen then i know i need to change what it is I'm saying to gain interest. Sometimes what i say works but I also know that not everyone is the same so having a conversation with the person before hand will allow me to judge what is appropriate to say.

I'm by no means someone that is good with psychology but i always like viewing people when i go shopping and just seeing what i can deduct from them, bu that i mean how are they talking to someone (either on the phone or in person) what's the body language like and if they are happy or not. If i can understand people this way it helps me understand them when I pluck up the courage to ask them if I can perform a trick for them.

Now where i live a lot of people like to figure things out and go out of there way to sabotage the trick (the few times I have done a trick) no I've never mentioned the name of said trick as it gives them something to look up so i avoid that. People that aren't magicians or do slight of hand seem to think they know how something is done (this is something I've seen a lot of before i started myself) those sort of people i tend to avoid as it ruins it for everyone else.

As for a persona, i always try to be myself as i feel i can do well as myself rather than trying to be someone I'm not, i have seen performances where someone i know is completely different to how they usually are and i personally don't like that as they are trying to be rude in some cases, sometimes it's worked for them but i don't find that appealing.

I will start working on my script and what i will say as it will help me a lot.

But whilst I'm here, what sort of spectator / person do you usually perform for and where?

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
The answer is you can do it, but the real question is should you do it? Shaking and nervousness come from a lack of connection with the audience. It is a reaction to the primal question of is this person going to like me or are they going to try to kill me?

The way to get around this is to structure your presentation so that you get a positive reaction with the audience as you begin your performance. This usually doesn't involve doing a quick trick, but rather engaging in a conversation (in close up) or a reactive monologue (stage and parlor). This gets positive feedback in answers to questions, laughs or, most importantly, interest in what you are doing. When the primitive recesses of your brain realize that the audience isn't going to kill you and they like you, you will find that the shaking and nervousness dissipate. As proof of this, most people who are nervous say that they get over it after the first effect is completed -- why? Because they have gotten positive feedback from the audience.

As for forgetting words, that is because you haven't scripted what you are going to say and you haven't rehearsed the script (i.e. saying it while you are doing the effect) sufficiently. If you get to the point where you have rehearsed the script so that it come out as being natural there is a secondary effect beyond knowing what to say... you become less nervous because the words you say [and the silent script you say to yourself) are anchored to the actions you are performing. As a result, your brain focuses on what you are saying and your actions become automatic. Once actions become automatic, there is no more shaking.

Example 1

Magi: Do you want to see a card trick?
Spect: No. Oh, well OK.
Magi: Pick a card.
Spect: OK.
Magi: Look at is, show a friend, memorize it, put it back in the deck.
Spect: OK
Magi: Would it be amazing if your card was reversed in the deck?
Spect: Not really, but sure.
Magi: Look.
Spect: Pretty cool.. Can I go now?

Example 2

Magi: Human brains only remember a fraction of what we actually see... the rest our brains fill in based on a combination of prior experience and imagination.
Spect: [they make eye contact and when you pause you can see they are thinking about what you said]
Magi:When you drove here tonight, do you specifically remember starting your car? Do you specifically remember locking the door when you left?
Spect: [one or two will smile or react in a way that says they really don't remember]
Magi: [Looking at one spectator that reacted]. Yeah, exactly. [Looking at everyone] When you drive to work, do you remember the details of everything you pass, or do you just notice things that are different than usual? If there was something different, something really out of the ordinary -- like a dozen cows on the interstate... you would remember that. But if it is a typical commute, you wouldn't be able to remember any of the mundane details.
Spect: [people will react by thinking and by internally saying, "yeah, I never really thought about that, but I do"]
Magi: I want you to do something mundane. I want you to pick a card... if you've ever seen a magician before, picking a card is so standard, it is almost cliche. [Spectator picks card]. What makes this different, is the card you picked. Because that is different, I want you to remember it and show it to your friends so that they remember it. Now stick it back in the deck. [Spectator sticks it back in the deck]. Typically, this is when the magic trick usually begins, where things get exciting [hands deck to another spectator]. Sometimes buried in the mundane, is the mysterious. In not paying attention to the ordinary, we miss the extraordinary. What card did you select?
Spect: The Eight of Diamonds.
Magi: Although you selected a face down card out of a face down deck and the replaced the same card face down into the same face down deck, I know that there is a single card in that deck that is face up. Wouldn't that be extra ordinary if that card was your Eight of Diamonds?
Spect: [looking at deck with other spectator and seeing their card reversed]. WTF? When did that happen?
Magi: When the ordinary becomes something extraordinary.

I wish I could like this post multiple times. Thanks so much for amazing feedback as always David!

As for my input on this topic, check this video out. It may help you discover your character/persona.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results