Cheap Books for Beginners - List

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey guys. So as some of you may have seen, I made this list of cheap books across a ton of topics. a while back and have copied it onto 4 or 5 posts at this point. I am going to make this thread so anyone can simply copy the link and post it here. Furthermore, you guys can add to it, so it will be a lot more complete. I know about 2 other lists exist like this on the forums, but one is more so for all books about a topic, and both include books no beginner would buy, due to the price. I mean, think about

So anyways, here is the list. BTW, the prices here are what I found for a physical copy on Amazon. Your prices may vary. Also, E books, such as those from lybrary.com, may be cheaper. You can also find free physical copies in your library (or ebooks at your library's website).

Cards
For basic sleight of hand, A Great place to start is The Royal Road to Card Magic. It is a great beginner source. It will work you up from the very basics, all the way up to more advanced moves. It has a ton of tricks in it, as well as presentation. It will keep you occupied for ages! After you finish it, also check out Expert Card Technique. It is essentially part 2 of the Royal Road, but much more advanced stuff. You can also get The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, which is similar to these two, but is much more open, with new principals coming into play. All of these are roughly about $10 each.

If you are looking for more so Self Working Card Tricks, or Tricks that don't require too much sleight of hand, pick up Scarne on Card Tricks or Card College Light. Self working tricks are great because they allow you to create amazing presentations. Scarne on Cards is 155 tricks, most of which are self working/semi automatic, and a few that require some basic sleight of hand. It costs about $10. Card College Light is part of a Trilogy (alongside it's brothers "Lighter" and "Lightest") by Roberto Giobbi. It is amazing self working stuff, a long with a ton more. It even teaches you super advanced moves that are done with self working methods (Mainly Card College Lightest. Check out THIS thread for more info on it. You're gonna have to read through a few posts on it. Roberto Giobbi has also written a 5 volume course entitled "Card College". It covers a ton of card magic, all the way up to advanced stuff. However, buying all 5 books is very pricey, so the Royal Road is a great alternative (the Royal Road still has a ton of info in it, and is only $10 for a paperback copy).

There are a ton more books you can pick up, but this is where I would start.

Coins
One of the best beginner coin magic books is J. B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. Most coin magicians would recommend you start there. It is also very cheap ($10)

A lot of Coin Magic can be applied to Ring Magic too! However, there isn't a major book on Ring Magic (at least as far as I can find), but there are a ton of effects out there on the market that will be of use.

Mentalism
I have no experience with Mentalism (as of yet), but I do know that a lot of Mentalists recommend Theodore Annemann's Practical Mental Magic and they also recommend Self Working Mentalism by Karl Fulves. Both can be found for roughly $7 - $12.

All Around
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is a HUGE book that covers almost all aspects of magic; Cards, Money, Rope, Sponge balls, Cups & Balls, Make at Home & Impromptu, Mental, Bets, Handkerchiefs, even full on Stage Ilusions! Now, the link I gave you says $15, but I have found people selling it for 3 - 5 dollars. It is very cheap and easy to get a hold of. Check the "more sellers" or look for it on ebay. You may even have a local magic store that might be selling it!

The Tarbell Course in Magic is a 8 Volume course put that covers almost all aspects of magic (literally almost everything available at the time of it's printing as far as the categories are concerned. Obviously, new things have been discovered, such as magic with your phone, or with a picture, but for the most part, everything is covered). It even goes over non performance stuff like advertising. It is however VERY pricey, a very tough read (in my opinion, if not just for the shear size of it). Thus, I would recommend getting a pretty good grip of magic before trying to tackle it.

Hope this was of help!

If you want more help, or more direct info about a topic, I will be happy to help! Also, if you are looking for some easy products you can buy and practice, then go out and perform to your friends as a one time trick, I can help you with that too!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Starting with Mark Wilson's book is your best bet.

I would add the following to the inexpensive card books:

Cards
Arthur Buckley's Card Control
Paul LePaul's Magic of LePaul
Jerry Mentzer's Counts Cuts Moves and Subtleties
S.W. Erdnase's Expert at the Card Table
Any of Karl Fulves Self Working Card Tricks books

Coin Magic
Jean Hugard's Compete Book of Coin Magic

Mentalism
Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals - available as an e-book at lybrary.com

Overall Magic

Scarne's Magic Tricks
Hugard's Magic Manual
Karl Fulves' Self Working Rope Magic

The reason many of those books are less expensive is that they are older and, as a result, more difficult to read. Often it my be worth buying something three to five times the price because it is easier to learn.

Dec 29, 2017
Mentalism -
13 steps/encyclopedia of mentalists and mentalism by corinda.

General -
Amateur Magician's Handbook-Hay

The Magic Book - Lorayne

Close up Card Magic - Lorayne

Stars of Magic.

Visual Learners (DVDS etc)-
Paul Wilson’s coverage of Royal Road.
Michael Ammar’s Easy to master card magic.
Max Maven has quite a few good mentalism videos out there.
52Kards Academy is fairly serviceable, the second course they offer somewhat pairs well with Expert Card Technique and Expert at the card table.

A few of these aren’t particularly cheap nor expensive but if you’re struggling with RRTCM and need visuals, $50-60 on the DVDs is a great investment

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Mentalism -
13 steps/encyclopedia of mentalists and mentalism by corinda.

General -
Amateur Magician's Handbook-Hay

The Magic Book - Lorayne

Close up Card Magic - Lorayne

Stars of Magic.

Visual Learners (DVDS etc)-
Paul Wilson’s coverage of Royal Road.
Michael Ammar’s Easy to master card magic.
Max Maven has quite a few good mentalism videos out there.
52Kards Academy is fairly serviceable, the second course they offer somewhat pairs well with Expert Card Technique and Expert at the card table.

A few of these aren’t particularly cheap nor expensive but if you’re struggling with RRTCM and need visuals, $50-60 on the DVDs is a great investment
Great ideas.

The reason I didn't put Stars of Magic in was because it's 40 bucks and out of stock, the list was looking more so at 20 ish or less.

The DVD's are great too!

13 steps is great, though I've heard it isn't a beginner level book?

Dec 29, 2017
Great ideas.

The reason I didn't put Stars of Magic in was because it's 40 bucks and out of stock, the list was looking more so at 20 ish or less.

The DVD's are great too!

13 steps is great, though I've heard it isn't a beginner level book?

I suppose the beginners would be Practical Mental as you covered and Selfworking Mentalism Tricks. I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch though. Sort of like RRTCM to ECT. As for Stars of Magic it’s definitely worth keeping in mind but you are right, bit pricey and tends to be out of stock everywhere.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results