Check out my rendition of the Chicago Opener

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's basically the 'standard' presentation of CO. Minus talking. The subtitles are not doing your videos any justice.

Your handling of the cards is very tight and awkward. You seem like you've got a death grip on them at all times and your motions are not smooth. You need a lot more practice, and you need to change the presentation.

The problem with Chicago Opener is that it doesn't really make any sense the way it's usually presented. You need to make it make sense.

Feb 10, 2013
Practice a lot more. You did an awkward double lift and card control. Just like Christopher said, you were tight which made all of your cuts,meeting the break, the spring and even just spreading the cards to get one picked look awkward and suspicious. Just practice, get more natural, and relax when performing.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
If you want to see how to do Chicago Opener justice.. Then I suggest that you look Whit Hayden performing at the Magic Castle on youtube. I think he has a channel and a few live performances of it.

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks for the advice! I definitely need more practice. Unfortunately, when I added talking to the trick, it made the length of the video around 4 minutes instead of 2 and a half (another thing that needs practice). Magic has been a hobby of mine on and off for about 6 years, and I am by no means a professional. I have recently been on a magic kick, though.

The spreading was for a card control move the first time, and consistency the second time.

I checked out Whit Haydn's version of it, and it was indeed impressive!

Sep 1, 2007
Thanks for the advice! I definitely need more practice. Unfortunately, when I added talking to the trick, it made the length of the video around 4 minutes instead of 2 and a half (another thing that needs practice).

That's not a problem as long as the things coming out of your mouth are interesting enough.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results