Checking for the Originality of an Effect

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Is there any kind of magical search engine which can help me figure out if a trick has already been created? (Not Google, Yahoo, MSN)

I have an effect which I have created and polished for some time, but I really want to make sure that no one else has done something like this yet. I've tried searching throughout different magic forums like this one, but is there a more efficient way?

I just want to make sure, for myself, that no one has created this effect before I have submitted it somewhere like T11, Ellusionist, PaperCraneProductions, etc.

Mar 30, 2008
DC
No I mean to ask if there is some kind of encyclopedia of effects where I can look myself. Maybe I should have made that clear.

If not then I will ask people..

Aug 18, 2008
my advice would be to send a message to some of the professional magicians on this site. They will have a better idea of its originality then any of us.

Alex_Pandrea

Creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/1on1/#a
Sep 28, 2008
New York
hey..ya i knew a site just like the genii one but with much more info on it.....ugh I cant remember! ...i'll try to see if I can find it again n post it

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Websites like this and others where people in the know are great places to research. A lot of effects that have been "Seen only" would not be on sites like that.

If it's a card effect, ask someone you trust who knows cards, coins, same thing etc etc. The chances of someone ripping you off are low... in the pro circuit anyway.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
There've been so many things created I doubt any one catalogue could be near complete - although the link above is a very useful link. I'd recommend messaging some of the pros and asking them if they know of previously created similar plots, guys like Brad Henderson know more than should be possible.

Your best bet would be to contact a magic historian. They mainly look at the history of magic, but they do know a ton about effects as well.

Former IBM International President Phil Wilmarth blew my freaking mind with his knowledge of the art and history of effects. Guys that have been in this for a while are the best resource we have.

C

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results