Children’s Magic

Sep 29, 2014
I don’t have too much experience with children’s magic but I would like to start getting into it. I was wondering if anybody had some great children show magic tricks (my favorite is where kids are yelling at the magician for not seeing something or something like that)

Thanks

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
My advice would be to go to David Ginn's Youtube Channel and start watching his performances of the various tricks: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOgG9GpQhkt4F4dHukKnXw

David is a classic children's performer. He does a lot of the "look-don't-see" effects. I saw David lecture 10 years ago and he is a fun performer and a really nice guy.

You can also check out David Kaye's book, Silly Billy. Many people like the book, but the Silly Billy character is too much of a clown / buffoon for me and the magic is not that strong.

In performing for kids (age 6 and up... I don' t do the 5 and under crowd), I've done a variety of different effects. Some of my favorites are: a routine involving a jumbo invisible deck and a beachball, a change bag routine involving safari hats, a camera and a mismade zebra; David Ginn's Rabbit Hat and Silk Fountain (see video #62), a selected card to nest of boxes effect, a variety of sponge ball routines and Mark Wilson's Tic Tac Toe. Surprisingly, Dan Harlan's Hovercard has always played well (done to a story about I learned the effect from a magician on a business trip to California which has parallels to the original Karate Kid).

My current show includes David Regal's Clink, a Zombie Ball routine, Jim Steinmeyer's Efficiency Stamp, a rope trick by Roberto Giobbi, a Cups & Balls routine that produces six billiard balls (numbers 3 through 8), David Ginn's Sheepdog Puppet (see video #67), Jumbo McCombical Deck, a Russian roulette routine with silly string, a linking rings routine with a story about a little dragon and a variation on Tom Stone's Benson Burner done to the story of my first rabbit, Harvey and his girlfriend Lola.

As I've become more experienced, my show has changed to become more personalized. My advice is to build an initial show with some of David Ginn's stuff and then swap out routines for different routines that you have developed yourself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results