Children show presentation style

Jul 3, 2011
Oregon
Hey guys, this year has started greatly for me. I have just been hired by my Theater teacher to keep close to 100 kids entertained for about 15-20 minutes with my magic. Not only will this be my first gig but also my first stage show. I already know what I am going to be performing, but I was wondering if I will have to change up my patter and presentation because the kids are younger than my normal audience. These kids are between grades 1 and 8. What type of presentation would work best for kids this age?

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
wow, first off kudos to you on getting your first gig and it seems to me that maybe you bit off even more than you can chew?
It sounded like you're only issue was the patter which is good because most people will come onto the forums and will simply start a thread about how thy're hired for a gig in a week, and they have never done one before, and what tricks should they do, and etc.

so to start off, i personally think that because of the large age difference you will have a particularly difficult time adapting you're procedure to fit.

but of course that is what you are asking for, so the one big peice of advice that i can give you is that you shouldnt underestimate the intelligence of a six year old, they dont want to feel that you are talking down to them, so to say, and neither do the older kids, so i would say that your best bet is simply to play it safe with tricks which concepts are easy to understand, not cheesy little kid ones, but still play big and impress the older ones, which would propably mean tying not to including a lot of pick a card material.

just as an afterthought, this may sound pretty self explanatory, which it is, but maybe if you listed the effects/routines you were planning on performing.................................................

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Ouch....Grade 1 to Grade 8 is going to be very difficult. That is from age 6 all the way up to 14. The age variance and what kids comprehend and enjoy is vastly different.

Ages 6-8 are sort of in their own category, 9-11, and then 12 and up.

Can you please list what effects you were thinking as Jewish mentioned. There are a few of us kids performers here that could try to help you out or let you know what might need tweaked a bit.

Reality One and I both do a lot of kids shows and there are a few others here as well that are teachers and performers.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I couldn't imagine a more difficult audience -- 100 kids age 6 through 14. The first trick will be to do effects that can be performed on stage. The second trick will be to make the effects appeal to all of the audience.

Like Rick and JI said, list the effects. Also, write how you will present those effects.

Here is a question for everyone else... What would you perform for this show?

I would do Invisible Deck (using a beach ball to toss to spectators that chose the color, suite and value of the card and then having the thought of card appear in a paper bag), my color changing sponge ball routine (sponge balls change colors and then multiply in two spectators hands), Jim Steinmeyer's Sonata for Brick and Glassware and Vanishing Bandana.

Jul 3, 2011
Oregon
Thanks for the tips. Here are my current ideas of what I will perform:
Instant radio-ask a kid to come up and draw a radio with a large on/off button, then make the radio come to life; first turning it on and off myself, then letting them try.

Some sponge ball magic- Still not sure on how I will present it since I am still learning.

repAIR (as seen on the wire by Michael Kent)- I don't know exactly what patter I will use, but I am required to do this.

I might also do Dresscode, but I don't know how I might fit it in.

Sorry, but as I said, I am not sure how I might go about the presentation.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
If it were me I'd probably perform
Any of the following:
Sands of the Desert, Stratosphere, Fiber Optics, Vanishing Bandana, 20th Century Silks, Torn and Restored Newspaper perhaps....

Anything that plays largely on stage and is very visual for the youngsters yet entertaining and magical for the teens.

I've heard of Instant Radio but never seen it performed. Spongeballs might be okay as long as the kids are not so far away that they cannot even see them. Repair might be a great opener depending on the pacing. I imagine you coming out to music, no patter, displaying the balloon, blowing it up, popping it, repairing it and then as the music concludes introduce yourself and go into your next effect.

Just me brainstorming.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Here are the routines that I will perform, and these all came from my previous kid show performances. Plays very well for different audiences.
1. Fiber Optics Routine
2. Acrobatic Knot
3. Rising Doll
4. No tear Newspaper
5. Slush Powder Routine
6. (W)hole thing by Daryl
7. Dove Pan Production
8. Multiplying Billard balls
9. Rope through Body
10. Miser's Dream
These effects will keep you gping for maybe an hour or so. Pick your favorites and start working from there.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Pete, he only needs 20 minutes so that is more like 3-4 effects if presented correctly. Rising Doll is not a stage effect (even though we know it is your favorite) He's entertaining 100 kids not 15 at a little event. Everything else I would agree with though.

I just replied to your other thread....WELL DONE my friend...well done.

You could also try Mismaid flag, Floating Rose, Topys Turvy bottles, Multiplying Bottles, Mongolian Pop Knot or similar rope routine, and maybe delights, Six Bill repeat, multiplying spots?

That's a rough age group, Try to stay visual and keep the energy comical and light and you should be okay.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Magical Sleight:

The key with performing for mixed age groups is to aim the patter at the middle of the group (in this case 3rd or 4th graders) and aim the magic at the older kids.

My question for Instant Radio is what are you going to do with it other than turn it on and off? I'll be honest, that isn't a real exciting effect on its own. I'm also not sure how it will play to a large group. Some of the kids will be too far away and will just think you have a Ipod Touch in your pocket.

I like Rick's idea to use repAir as an intro.

If you are still working on spongeballs, I wouldn't use that in the show. Don't perform new material for the first time in a big show. Sponge balls can play to a larger audience, but you have to script it correctly.

Dresscode... seems like eye candy to me. It is neat, but it really doesn't have any substance to it.

What other props or ideas do you have?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results