Chinese Sticks Noicy?

Oct 19, 2015
I posted this on another thread, but have had no comments, so I thought maybe I had it in the wrong spot.

I am 65 years old and have not worked with Magic for over 30 years. Started fooling around with it as a young boy, inspired by an older kid in high school. Never really did any shows except for family and kids at YMCA's, Boys Clubs, Scouts, etc. all for free fun! Now I finally have time and resources to get back into it.

One of the tricks I used to enjoy doing was the Chinese sticks. I recently ordered a pair for around $35. When I got them they were very noisy? Now my hearing is not great, but I think if I was anywhere in the room I would no the gimmick right away. I called the guy who sold them to me and he said all Chinese sticks are noisy.....is he correct or does someone make a pair that do not tip the gimmick?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I can see how it would be noisy. I feel like it wouldn't necessarily matter though. The tassels are moving while the gimmick makes noise right? If this is the case then I think as an audience I would attribute the sound to the tassels moving.

Oct 19, 2015
I can see how it would be noisy. I feel like it wouldn't necessarily matter though. The tassels are moving while the gimmick makes noise right? If this is the case then I think as an audience I would attribute the sound to the tassels moving.

Josh,
After doing more research and watching many other magicians do Chinese Stick routines, I know the ones I have are faulty. Two things I have noticed, the ones I have are not smooth, one actually sticks sometimes, while the other one works much better. Also, the angle that is required to make them work is much more extreme, which makes the string movement much faster than one can pull the adjacent string. I have found a better type of Stick, saving my money to purchase.

Thanks for the comments and perspective, part of it was as you say it was!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Josh,
After doing more research and watching many other magicians do Chinese Stick routines, I know the ones I have are faulty. Two things I have noticed, the ones I have are not smooth, one actually sticks sometimes, while the other one works much better. Also, the angle that is required to make them work is much more extreme, which makes the string movement much faster than one can pull the adjacent string. I have found a better type of Stick, saving my money to purchase.

Thanks for the comments and perspective, part of it was as you say it was!

Could I ask who made yours? The good ones and the bad ones? I know that Pete Biro made pair of sticks with an alternative method. I'm not sure where to purchase his version.

Oct 19, 2015
Could I ask who made yours? The good ones and the bad ones? I know that Pete Biro made pair of sticks with an alternative method. I'm not sure where to purchase his version.

Josh,
thanks for the information....I did call the owner where I got them and he was not welling to do anything.
I got them at magictricks.com, they were called the Chinese Sticks Large...? No name was posted as to who made them...that should have been my first clue.

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
This is incorrect. I own chinese sticks and I bought them through Denny and Lee's magic studio. Mine were made by George Millward and these are of best quality. Though with excellent quality comes a big price tag ($250.00). Here's the link if you're interested. Just call Denny to see if he has them instock.

http://dennymagic.com/store/chinese-sticks-set-of-three-by-george-millward.html

And again, these are silent, as long as you don't shake or do jerky motions which I'm sure you know.

Oct 19, 2015
This is incorrect. I own chinese sticks and I bought them through Denny and Lee's magic studio. Mine were made by George Millward and these are of best quality. Though with excellent quality comes a big price tag ($250.00). Here's the link if you're interested. Just call Denny to see if he has them instock.

http://dennymagic.com/store/chinese-sticks-set-of-three-by-george-millward.html

And again, these are silent, as long as you don't shake or do jerky motions which I'm sure you know.
Since my post I have done a ton of research and talking to others, as you say good sticks cost bucks! I knew when the guy told me that all C-sticks were noisy, that he was not being honest or just had limited knowledge. I have already ordered another pair, they did not cost $250, but were significantly more then I paid originally. I will email detail after the arrive and I have worked with them....

thanks to all for the help and comments...much appreciated...!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results