Choosing a Double Lift: What I Do

Jan 27, 2008
Here is an essay I wrote a Looooong time ago on Ellusionist's forums. I thought I might as well bring it over here:

Sometimes, I see someone asking about which Double Lift (DL) is the best, most natural looking, easiest,...etc. Here's how I choose my Double Lift

The DL you should use is one that looks natural; it should look as if your turning over the top card of the deck. Here is my mini-magic-definition of NATURAL: Something that the spectator would do. Determining which DL is most natural can be difficult.

How do determine which to choose? Go up to your family and friends. ive them a deck of cards to hold. Ask them to turn over the top card of the deck. Watch the way the turn over the top card. Pay attention to the motions they use to turn the top card over. Once you have done this test to multiple people, figure out the motion most commonly used, then utilize those motions into a DL.

Example: I went over to my brother and did the test with him. The way he turned over the top card looked as if a magician would execute Dai Vernon's Push-Off DL. I did this test to more people and the most common method of turning over the top card was the way my brother would.

Now when I execute a DL, especially with those same people, it would look as if I am turning over the top card exactly how they would.

I have to go. I'll continue editing this later.

Hope it helps!

So, eh, any inputs?

..:Z:..

Jan 27, 2008
Nice essay. It probably won't change my double lift as I do a Strike, but I might start thinking about it.

Hey, please, if you like the DL your doing now, don't change it. I wrote this essay for the people who are wondering which DL is best, better than, easier, etc. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their DL-ways. It's just a suggestion.

And thanks for the compliments.

Jan 27, 2008
Oh, OK. My favorite double lift is the Acrobatic Diving Board Double though.

Once I get around to it, I'm gonna try to learn that Double Lift too, or just the snap DL. Although, contradicting myself, the snap looks unnatural, it looks extremely convincing in my opinion.

Sep 1, 2007
Montreal, Quebec
To your audience you are a magicien. they don't know haw a magicien turn a card over. If you perform any convincing DL the way it should be perform theyh should not have any reson to get suspicious. The only isue to this it if the person you are performing for know the existence of the DL. Than the DBD is enought to erase suspicion.

Dec 23, 2007
I dont know about u guys but the "Nitroultra Bend-over" is the most natural and convincing DL.. But that's only if the people youre performing for are in another room.

Nov 1, 2007
I'm a little on the fence about the double lift issue. There's a part of me that says, the most natural-looking double should be used (I'm a Strike man myself :D) because it eliminates the thought of trickery. But there's also a part of me that says, these people KNOW I'm implementing trickery, they just don't know how, so why not insert a bit of flash in the performance?

Undetectable sleights always impress me, but I admit I like watching someone like Daniel Madison or the Buck twins handle cards, with flashy double lifts and cuts. It's like a visual special effect added to the perfomance, a signature flair. I could go with either kind of double, so long as the flashy version is appropriate and the flourishes are kept to a necessary minimum in the performance.

Sep 1, 2007
This old chestnut!

All sleights are about attitude. If you pay attention to it, so will your audience. If you don't, then they won't. Practise any DL you like until you can do it as easily as turning over a single, and you've got a relaxed, natural, fooling sleight.

Isn't it strange that you let the actions of laypeople dictate your direction as a magician? In my experience, laypeople handle cards extraordinarily badly - as soon as they see you handling them smoothly, they automatically expect everything you do to be smooth. The only case in which I would support the "mimic the actions of a layperson" approach is if you are trying to appear as unskilled as the average joe.

Cheers,
David.

E

elliotcarver

This is a pretty good discussion.

I have a question myself to the writer of the essays and others:

I am not a beginner but I never knew wich DL to pick.

Is card fundamentals part 2 by Aaron Fisher a good source for natural DL's? Wich DL's does he teach? Would you recommend it?

Thanks
Elliot Carver

Sep 1, 2007
Greg Wilson's "Double Take" DVD is the resource for double lifts - and much more besides. Trust me when i say you will not be disappointed.

Sep 1, 2007
Example: I went over to my brother and did the test with him. The way he turned over the top card looked as if a magician would execute Dai Vernon's Push-Off DL. I did this test to more people and the most common method of turning over the top card was the way my brother would.

Hi Z,

This Push Off DL, is it the one performed by D&D in the Hedbergs' Peak video? I've known of another Vernon DL where he took double, sidejogged it and clamp down with the thumb. (It was explained in the Vernon Revelation videos)

So which is the DL you are speaking of?

Thank you:)

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I recently had this problem, I was using a certain double lift for awhile and getting a break just didn't cut it anymore, I wanted somthing straight off the deck.

I explored many double lifts that can be done straight off the deck, one being the push off double lift which I spent quite a bit of time working on. Then one day it came to me, I am doing this rather fancy way of turning over a card but whern I turn a single over, its not flashy. So I tried doing the same action as a push off double but with a single and trust me, that did not go over well.

It was till one day when I bought this dvd called Scams and Fantasies By, Darwin Ortiz that I was fooled when I saw a double lift. The reason why I was fooled because it was almost identical to my single lift and thats when I knew, I found the perfect double lift for me. I believe it is called the strike double but don't hold it on me.

So my biggest peice of advice for you guys that are looking for a good double is to find the double that looks closest to your single and once you got that, you will be fooling laymen and magicians alike.

Jan 27, 2008
Hi Z,

This Push Off DL, is it the one performed by D&D in the Hedbergs' Peak video? I've known of another Vernon DL where he took double, sidejogged it and clamp down with the thumb. (It was explained in the Vernon Revelation videos)

So which is the DL you are speaking of?

Thank you:)

If I remember correctly (I wrote this awhile ago, remember that), I think it's the one where you push the "top card" forward (away from you) with the tip of the right-hand's index finger. Then you grab the top egde of the card, and turn it over vertically to display it and you just repeat to turn it back over.

Hey, guys. Thanks for your inputs and don't let it stop there. I wanna hear more from you. When I get more time, I'll read all of your posts (I don't have much time on the computer like I used to) and continue to discuss.

I think if I get around to it, I'll make a video showing a kind-of DL handling that I think I came up with. But until then...

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
I completely disagree that double should look like layman turning over a top card. It should look as natural as possible within contest. In some routines, fancy double would look natural. Most of the time, less-fancy although elegant double looks best. There was a great discussion on topic in Magic Café.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results