classic palm exercises?

Nov 3, 2009
Ive been trying to learn classic palm except i cant seem to hold on to the coin(s). granted im using coins with pretty worn out edges so the milling is pretty much gone.

Its going slow and id like some suggestions for exercises that will expedite things a bit.

i did a search but nothing came up :( sad times.

thanks for any suggestions! :D

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
What I used to do is had two coins (one in each hand) and classic palmed the coin and put that hands in my pockets and walked around like that. Then as time went on, added more coins, and at this point for me, I don't need this exercise any more, but this is how I got started.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I guess I should make a comment about this, since I learned this later.
When you are first starting, just pick one coin and stick with it (whatever the choice may be)
However, you will learn in the future that each coin will have sleight different nesting area (place where it stays best)

I found going from half dollar to either way is easier than what I did (quarter to silver dollars).

Also, every time you drop your coin, put that in finger palm and then move to classic palm, I think that helps to learn to switch the palm faster.

These are just few things I wish I knew when I first started off with this exercise.

yes practice with whatever coin you want to use. i perfected my palm with a half dollar. then when i got a silver dollar (finally!!) i cant palm it half as good. so keep that in mind ... just palm as much as possible i also only used 1 hand so i have to start over with my other. so using both hands like Ashrei said is a great idea. another thing is even if it feels impossible just keep palming it and working with it and it will come with time.

May 6, 2009
David stone puts a beer bottle on his pinky finger and does pinky lifts, 20 reps 3 times a day. This will build up the muscle that classic palms, making it easier.

Sep 3, 2007
Ive been trying to learn classic palm except i cant seem to hold on to the coin(s). granted im using coins with pretty worn out edges so the milling is pretty much gone.

Its going slow and id like some suggestions for exercises that will expedite things a bit.

i did a search but nothing came up :( sad times.

thanks for any suggestions! :D

How about this. You already know coin magic, why ask?

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
I got into a habit of palming coins in classic palm whenever I'm surfing the web with my mouse...

Also, fitch grip is also practiceable when using the mouse as well.

Nov 3, 2009
wow, i wasnt expecting this thread to still be up here. so after it seems two weeks or so of practice, i can classic palm coins about the size of a quarter, actually slightly larger, since im using tokens from "chuck 'e' cheese" (lol).

my concern now is that, i have two 1/2 dollar coins, but they're not milled and i CANNOT grip them.

is this another practice practice practice situation? or?

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Simple answer is, yes. Practice makes it easier.
However, I also find it somewhat easier for me to grip smooth (no mill on the edge) coins if I place them deeper into the palm. I achieve that by pressing a little harder with my fingers.

Also do note, two weeks are not too that long of a time for classic palm. I would suggest these exercises as well since you are getting more comfortable with the classic palm.

1. be able to write with coin palmed in your hand or other daily activities. This achieves two things. When classic palm is first learned it has very awkward look (David Williamson refers to as bird cage look). So first, it dulls the awkward look and allow you to have more natural look on your hand. Second, as the Professor said "If you can't practice being natural, be natural at being unnatural" or something along that line. If you are doing normal things with coin in your hand, though however odd your hand position may seem, it will be natural to you, hence appear natural regardless of the how awkward your hand appears.

2. Start palming more than 1 coins. Once I was comfortable, I moved up to 2, 3, and now I can hold up to 6. I'm not saying that to brag, considering that palming 6 coins don't mean a whole lot seeing that usually the most you need to palm is 4 in one hand, but it allows you to hold on to coin better, and it will help you with the problem you currently have, palming coins that are smooth.

3. If you have interest, I would say start learning the muscle pass. It is such a great utility move/sleight. So many applications that are being discovered. I learned that because of the nature of the sleight, it will strengthen your classic palm when you are learning muscle pass. I won't go into details, but you should check out "The complete muscle pass" by David Kong or "Muscle pass" by Jay Noblezada. Though I think David Kong has more applications, they are both fairly good place to get started on the muscle pass.

I know I said a lot of stuff, but these are what made differences on my classic palm. Hope these helps.

p.s. I heard about practicing with wet hand, and I'm sure that helps with a lot of sleight and etc, but I say unless you have constantly sweating hand, I'd say it's not as vital... Though I do admit that it can only help.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Nov 3, 2009
Ashrei: thanks for the replies, i have actually started trying more than one coin and ive started palming with my weaker hand. slow and steady wins the race. thanks for the tips :D

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
No problem. I'll try to help with what I can. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me any time.

I will admit that I'm no coin expert, though I'd like to learn more coin magic, but I got most palming methods down. What makes coin difficult to me is choreograph and misdirection... If anyone has good tips on those, please PM me. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2007
Ashrei: thanks for the replies, i have actually started trying more than one coin and ive started palming with my weaker hand. slow and steady wins the race. thanks for the tips :D

Hi, sorry about my earlier comment. Ashrei has some stellar advice here. I have one or two things that might add to improvement.

- Keep a coin in your pocket, each time your hand is in your pocket put it in classic palm. You can also practice the muscle pass this way without attracting attention.

- Try to keep it as far back as possible (towards the wrist).

- With your hand cupped palm faced down: rest a coin on your finger tips and move it up to palm quickly.

- Practice with all size of coins (even dimes).

- Practice before you fall asleep. If you wake up with a palmed coin you're onto something.

Sorry if I've reiterated some points, but those are some that I've worked on in the past.

Feb 24, 2009
California
Classic Palm-ercizes

I used to load up heavy keys to an old Key chain, and do Pinky lifts. Over time I built up the muscle in the palm of my hand.

Also, used to do finger tip rest position loads, and drops back too finger tip rest, and then reload etc. etc. so on and so fourth. I too used to go throughout my day with coins palmed; Answering phones, holding drinks, opening doors etc. etc.

It all helps....

wow, i wasnt expecting this thread to still be up here. so after it seems two weeks or so of practice, i can classic palm coins about the size of a quarter, actually slightly larger, since im using tokens from "chuck 'e' cheese" (lol).

my concern now is that, i have two 1/2 dollar coins, but they're not milled and i CANNOT grip them.

is this another practice practice practice situation? or?
If you were good you dont need milling. Its better to practice in the worse conditions then when you have milling it will be super easy.

J.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I try palming anything small enough to hide in my hand. At work I hide nuts and bolts as I walk around. This has helped me a little by getting other muscles in the hand working. I also have a big rubber ball (I took from my kids) and use that as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results