Classic palm

Jun 24, 2008
United States
looks good! When you say your wiggling you thumbs though, you should try and make the thumb more versitile (sp?). I'm not sure how possible it is in this routine, when classic palming more then one coin, but just a though. Other then that the palming was good.

Well, you've got a good start, but there's a lot of work to be done.

First things first, the patter. Yes, I do consider that the first thing as it's the first thing you hear and the first perception you get about the performer and the routine.

Why, may I ask, are you (damn near word-for-word) copying Roth's patter? I can not encourage you enough to be original and new with your presentation. Not to mention that many magicians agree that Roth, while being a consummate coin worker, is one of the most boring performers to watch and listen to.

There are so many themes that can be used with coins other than the "Look what I can do" presentation that so many coin guys do. Scott here on the forums is a supreme example of good framing and presentation around his routines.

Next, your false transfer... Yikes. Try to work on improving the retention of vision, I should believe that the coin never left my sight even for a moment. On one of the transfers I literally saw one coin as the left wrist turned down and another as the right wrist came up.

Watch yourself really take a coin from your left hand and try to duplicate it. Make it a natural action of just taking a coin in your hand.

Now we've reached the Classic Palm. First, make sure that the right hand has turned all the way down before palming the coin. It was very obvious as the coin was nearly in full view as it began heading towards the palm.

Next, as aforementioned, watch that thumb swinging when you palm the coin. Your thumb should barely move as the action takes place and is a dead giveaway of a palm.
You can practice by using your left hand to hold your thumb in place while the other fingers palm the coin. This is a good way to build up muscle memory for the move.

A final thing that will help with all of the moves, and even the patter, is breaking tension. Because of the ridged structure of your presentation and framing it gave me nothing to do but stare right at your hands. While this is, in part, due to the nature of a tight-shot performance, it most definitely can be improved.

Watch Jordan Lapping do some card work on YouTube. His hands never leave view but the moves are nearly imperceptible. This is for one, because he is extremely good at his sleights, and two because while he is moving the card box and your attention is there, he's doing all of the sleights.

Break the tension, break up the routine and try to separate the moment the method takes place and the moment the magic takes place.

I believe Vernon said that, "Gamblers get away with their moves because they do them when no one is watching." (I'm paraphrasing) and that is extremely true. Some magicians will wait and do the secret move while you're watching instead of the 20 seconds you were misdirected.

This is a lengthy post and there is a lot to be considered. But as I said, you have a good start, you just need to work on it and refine it down.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or if you'd like further help.

C

May 6, 2009
Well, you've got a good start, but there's a lot of work to be done.

First things first, the patter. Yes, I do consider that the first thing as it's the first thing you hear and the first perception you get about the performer and the routine.

Why, may I ask, are you (damn near word-for-word) copying Roth's patter? I can not encourage you enough to be original and new with your presentation. Not to mention that many magicians agree that Roth, while being a consummate coin worker, is one of the most boring performers to watch and listen to.

There are so many themes that can be used with coins other than the "Look what I can do" presentation that so many coin guys do. Scott here on the forums is a supreme example of good framing and presentation around his routines.

Next, your false transfer... Yikes. Try to work on improving the retention of vision, I should believe that the coin never left my sight even for a moment. On one of the transfers I literally saw one coin as the left wrist turned down and another as the right wrist came up.

Watch yourself really take a coin from your left hand and try to duplicate it. Make it a natural action of just taking a coin in your hand.

Now we've reached the Classic Palm. First, make sure that the right hand has turned all the way down before palming the coin. It was very obvious as the coin was nearly in full view as it began heading towards the palm.

Next, as aforementioned, watch that thumb swinging when you palm the coin. Your thumb should barely move as the action takes place and is a dead giveaway of a palm.
You can practice by using your left hand to hold your thumb in place while the other fingers palm the coin. This is a good way to build up muscle memory for the move.

A final thing that will help with all of the moves, and even the patter, is breaking tension. Because of the ridged structure of your presentation and framing it gave me nothing to do but stare right at your hands. While this is, in part, due to the nature of a tight-shot performance, it most definitely can be improved.

Watch Jordan Lapping do some card work on YouTube. His hands never leave view but the moves are nearly imperceptible. This is for one, because he is extremely good at his sleights, and two because while he is moving the card box and your attention is there, he's doing all of the sleights.

Break the tension, break up the routine and try to separate the moment the method takes place and the moment the magic takes place.

I believe Vernon said that, "Gamblers get away with their moves because they do them when no one is watching." (I'm paraphrasing) and that is extremely true. Some magicians will wait and do the secret move while you're watching instead of the 20 seconds you were misdirected.

This is a lengthy post and there is a lot to be considered. But as I said, you have a good start, you just need to work on it and refine it down.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or if you'd like further help.

C

Good advice. I have to say, honestly, I'm a bit upset its not as good as I thought. Perhaps I was wrong and needed more of a reality check.

I don't have the problem of my thumb sticking out when normally doing the classsic palm, but in this rountine I did because of the nature of the effect.

C, was the classic palm good? I've been trying to get good at that for over a year now.

I have to say you're right as well on the shuttle pass, I thought it looked OK in video but it doesn't look very good in front of a mirror. Is there any way to practice the shuttle pass without having to look in front of a mirror for hours? I.e Can you do it in front of the TV or do you have to use a mirror or video camera?

I used david roth's patter because quite honestly I am horrible with patter. I can never think of what to say, and I used roth's because I needed some patter to go with it but I didn't know what to say.

All the best,
Kevin (STFS)

The palm itself, after the coin was placed into the palm, was fairly good.

Try to keep your fingers curled in a bit to mask that "claw" type nature the Classic Palm has. Another great tip is to palm a coin and then just go do regular things, this will make you very comfortable with a coin in palm.

Practice the transfer first in the mirror to get the move looking correct, then commit the move to memory by practicing it as frequently as possible when watching tv and such. Then return back the mirror to make sure you are practicing it correctly and the illusion has stayed correct.

C

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results