Classic Pass: Question and tips??

Dec 22, 2017
Hi so I've been doing magic for around 2 years on and off, and when I gave up on the pass a while ago. Recently I tried picking it up again as a mostly angle proof slight and I noticed a few problems that I encountered that weren't mentioned anywhere on the interwebs.

Problem 1: When I'm doing the pass(I'm left handed and I hold the deck with my left hand) the bottom card of the top packet always gets tilted out a little bit so that bringing the bottom packed up is just that much more difficult. It also makes it much louder to execute. Does anyone else have that problem or have a solution for that?

Problem 2: When I hold the deck What I usually do is have my thumb more or less on the side of the deck, but my index finger is in front of the deck, not on the side. If i try to put it on the side with my other fingers, the top packet sometimes slides out of my grip easily and also contributes to problem 1. What grip do you guys use?

Also I watched many people do the pass, and some Youtubers like TheRussianGenius shows the pass from multiple angles and it looks impeccable. When I do it, my left side is always exposed so it defeats the purpose of me learning it again. Are there any good youtube tutorials for making the pass less flashy?

Thanks and any feedback is appreciated.

Nov 4, 2017
1: never noticed that until you mentioned it so there’s one more thing for me to be irritated about.
2: always keep my index finger at the front of the pack.

Best Pass tutorial I’ve found online is Xavior Spade’s Pass Project on Lost Art Magic.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
1: The top packet normally gets tilted upwards. If you have the Royal Road , look at the picture in the pass section (and if you don't, I highly suggest buying it). This will keep it from going outwards.

2: Whatever feels more comfortable.

I highly recommend reading through this thread: https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/classic-pass-questions.48611/

(Posts 1 - 7, 10, 20, 23 - 31 are the most useful, there was a debate about the effectiveness of the pass in the middle, which is also good to read).

The Pass people do for the camera is a lot different from the pass people do in real life. On camera, you have all the time in the world, and aren't doing anything besides it. Furthermore, the camera is always positioned to avoid all the weird angles. In real life, you don't have the perfect angles. Instead, you use misdirection and patter to control the audience, and then execute a pass slowly and fluidly with the angles the way you need them.

The best way to learn the pass is to actually do it. A lot of the info you need is in that thread ^

Reactions: Ignotus and kwang4
Dec 22, 2017
1: The top packet normally gets tilted upwards. If you have the Royal Road , look at the picture in the pass section (and if you don't, I highly suggest buying it). This will keep it from going outwards.

2: Whatever feels more comfortable.

I highly recommend reading through this thread: https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/classic-pass-questions.48611/

(Posts 1 - 7, 10, 20, 23 - 31 are the most useful, there was a debate about the effectiveness of the pass in the middle, which is also good to read).

The Pass people do for the camera is a lot different from the pass people do in real life. On camera, you have all the time in the world, and aren't doing anything besides it. Furthermore, the camera is always positioned to avoid all the weird angles. In real life, you don't have the perfect angles. Instead, you use misdirection and patter to control the audience, and then execute a pass slowly and fluidly with the angles the way you need them.

The best way to learn the pass is to actually do it. A lot of the info you need is in that thread ^

Thanks for the reply Maaz, one more thing.

I've gotten it to be almost as good as I want it for my front and right angles(Deck in Left), but my left side is extremely exposed. Is there anything i'm doing wrong or will it just be harder to cover for that side?

Thanks again!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Thanks for the reply Maaz, one more thing.

I've gotten it to be almost as good as I want it for my front and right angles(Deck in Left), but my left side is extremely exposed. Is there anything i'm doing wrong or will it just be harder to cover for that side?

Thanks again!
The left side will pretty much be exposed. You can turn it away from the audience a bit, and do it on the offbeat. Also, drop your hands out of frame when you do it.

The most important thing though is misdirection. A poorly executed pass with a ton of good misdirection and audience control is 10 times better than a perfect pass where people are grilling your hands. Learn to make the audience look at something else, be talking, and do it on an offbeat.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Aug 15, 2017
Hi so I've been doing magic for around 2 years on and off, and when I gave up on the pass a while ago. Recently I tried picking it up again as a mostly angle proof slight and I noticed a few problems that I encountered that weren't mentioned anywhere on the interwebs.

Problem 1: When I'm doing the pass(I'm left handed and I hold the deck with my left hand) the bottom card of the top packet always gets tilted out a little bit so that bringing the bottom packed up is just that much more difficult. It also makes it much louder to execute. Does anyone else have that problem or have a solution for that?

Problem 2: When I hold the deck What I usually do is have my thumb more or less on the side of the deck, but my index finger is in front of the deck, not on the side. If i try to put it on the side with my other fingers, the top packet sometimes slides out of my grip easily and also contributes to problem 1. What grip do you guys use?

Also I watched many people do the pass, and some Youtubers like TheRussianGenius shows the pass from multiple angles and it looks impeccable. When I do it, my left side is always exposed so it defeats the purpose of me learning it again. Are there any good youtube tutorials for making the pass less flashy?

Thanks and any feedback is appreciated.
1) Which direction does the card slide out?
2) Put your index finger wherever you desire :)
3) See Jay Sankey's, 52Kards' and Disturb Realities tutorials on the pass. Combine all their tips to get a perfect pass. But I too would recommend Royal Road to Card Magic. The three tutorials I mentioned and RRTCM combined give a pretty good pass output. But remember, practice is key, and don't expect the pass to be amazing in a day or even a month. Give it the time it deserves, your future self will thank you.
As for Russian Genius...well, although he does seem to show all angles when performing, he actually knows his angles pretty well, and therefore he can hide it. And tbh...the Russian Genius cannot really explain things well. I know many would disagree, but when comparing him to other big magician You Tubers out there, he does leave out the intricate moves and tips of ANY sleight. And I've been told he doesn't credit people properly too sometimes...
But his coin magic is amazing, he is skilled no doubt.
Finally...As many say, Xavior Spade's project would be pretty amazing too!
Pity I don't have it...

Dec 22, 2017
1) Which direction does the card slide out?
2) Put your index finger wherever you desire :)
3) See Jay Sankey's, 52Kards' and Disturb Realities tutorials on the pass. Combine all their tips to get a perfect pass. But I too would recommend Royal Road to Card Magic. The three tutorials I mentioned and RRTCM combined give a pretty good pass output. But remember, practice is key, and don't expect the pass to be amazing in a day or even a month. Give it the time it deserves, your future self will thank you.
As for Russian Genius...well, although he does seem to show all angles when performing, he actually knows his angles pretty well, and therefore he can hide it. And tbh...the Russian Genius cannot really explain things well. I know many would disagree, but when comparing him to other big magician You Tubers out there, he does leave out the intricate moves and tips of ANY sleight. And I've been told he doesn't credit people properly too sometimes...
But his coin magic is amazing, he is skilled no doubt.
Finally...As many say, Xavior Spade's project would be pretty amazing too!
Pity I don't have it...
The Card Slide Out problem has been fixed :D Also i've seen most of the tutorials you've mentioned except for the one by Xavior. I've been doing it for about 2 months and this is how i've gotten it.(Video below) Most of the time i can cover it better but because i was videoing with a phone it's a bit more noticeable than usual. Any tips or subtle motions? I usually start with the deck paralell to the ground and execute it while moving it down at an angle.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results