Close up mat material

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm considering making my desk into a large close up pad by taking felt or whatever material is used and cutting it in the shape of my desk. My problem is I have no idea what material to get and where to buy it (online or like at a fabric store).

Does anyone know the best matieral and where to buy it?

Thanks,

~Zaw

Hey guys,

I'm considering making my desk into a large close up pad by taking felt or whatever material is used and cutting it in the shape of my desk. My problem is I have no idea what material to get and where to buy it (online or like at a fabric store).

Does anyone know the best matieral and where to buy it?

Thanks,

~Zaw

I make all my tables using velvet from fabirc stores and I love the feel and the way the card spread on them. I think you'll have alot of luck there, you can go to the stores and feel test your self.

Good luck,

Shane

Mar 16, 2010
Go to a well supplied fabric store and pick out the material that you like best. I would recommend taking your cards, coins, etc. with you, so you can test them out on potential surfaces.

Most fabric stores will also carry sheets of foam rubber that can provide a soft foundation/cushion under the velvet, felt or whatever fabric that you end up with.

If you find that the above is too difficult, contact Pattrick Przysiecki. He can make mats in any size, in a variety of colors. I have one, and am very happy with the quality.

His site:

http://www.pmsmagic.com/mats.htm

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Every close up pad I have is a bit different.

Some people use pool table felt on top of wood. Others use pool table felt on top of a thin sheet of rubber which is then attached to the wood / base with adhesive.

Other people use expensive velvet from a fabric store. This is what I used on my close up table like JM used to have.

Be warned though that certain materials will show streaks when doing coin matrix or cups and balls moves where the audience can see items being dragged to different locations.

If you want small cheap close up pads....use jewelry display pads. I have a few of these as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
any body ever used a table pad? like the ones you put on a dining room table? just flipped it over to the felt side? thats what i use. just the extra pads that came with the leaves for our dining room table. works great and its free.

Sep 1, 2007
Thanks for all the responses! I think i'll be going with rubberized base and felt/velvet, whatever feels better.

Thanks for the help!

~Zaw

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results