Close Up Pad :: Questions...

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hey Everyone,

I have been doing magic for about 2 1/2 years now, without a close-up mat, and I have decided that for effects and moves such as the Push Through False Shuffle, and the Invisible Palm (many more effects as well), it is much easier to complete these moves successfully.

My questions about this item are::

-What is an IDEAL SIZE?

-What is an IDEAL COST? (Links to websites where they are good deals are appreciated :D)

-Does THICKNESS of them make a difference?

-Are they REALLY necessary? (Do they make a good enough difference that makes it a good investment.)

If you could answer ANY of the questions above, that would be appreciated.

Take care everyone.

Thank you for everything.

-Sanj

P.S. I did a search and couldn't find anything! If this has been brought up before and has had some good responses, feel free to shoot me a link and mods you may then close it!

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
A close up pad is a good investment.

Or you can make a homemade close up pad like me, shut up I'm cheap :p

-4 Mouse pads stuck together by duck tape

-Carpet samples.

Both work equally well.

I cant remember who or where, but I'm pretty sure it was someone from T11 recommended that people don't use close up mats for practising, because when you go out, your not going to take your close up mat with you, your going to be on a table, (I think it was Aaron Fisher who said it, Ill go look) and obviously a table and a pad feel completely different and the cards act different on each surface. Ill go find the post, Aaron explains better.

Cheers, Tom

Found it! http://aaronfishermagic.wordpress.com/2008/10/01/welcome-to-card-magic/

If you’ve recently decided to get serious about close-up card magic, here’s a tip that may make you a little angry. You’ll thank me one day.

Don’t Practice with a close-up pad!

When my teachers first gave me this advice, I was about 18 years old. At the time, I loved my close-up pad and carried it everywhere. I broke it out all the time –either to do a few tricks or just to practice. Not only did it make my magic look more “professional”, it made a lot of handling, like shuffling the cards, much easier to perform.

I trusted my teachers, generally speaking, but even so, I put up a fight. After all, if I was faced with a glass table, I could barely even pick up the deck. It took me a few months to finally get the point.

Real sleight of hand under any conditions

One of the most seductive aspects card magic is the promise of real miracles, done any time, anywhere and with any deck of cards. It only took a year or so (maybe two) to learn how to handle cards effectively on a hard service.

Since that time I sometimes use a close-up pad in performance, but I never have to fear performing because I don’t have a close-up pad and can’t work without one. It’s a feeling of comfort you’ll always appreciate.

The campers at Sorcerer’s Safari learn these important lessons much younger than I did. It’s an awesome thing to see. One morning last August, just a few days into camp, I opened my cabin door one morning to find a gift from one of
the campers – a photo of the gift appears at the top of this post.

I was so proud I nearly cried.

Cheers, Tom

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
What Tom, quoting Aaron, said.

Although a pad is nice, you would probably be going backwards by getting one. It would be like getting a cane to help you walk when you can already run.

Not that they don't have their uses, you just can't learn to rely on one. Especially for specific moves.

Speaking of which, by controlling your bottom stock, a push through shuffle is just as easily executed on a flat hard surface, as it is on a soft one like a pad. Similarly, a well done Invis Palm routine can also be done on any surface.

You may not be able to use some certain lay downs of the doubles, but there are plenty of ways of laying down a double that are not surface dependent. And that is exactly what you want to avoid. Dependence one a specific anything.

That being said, size is definitely something to consider. A pad is a good thing to bring to a formal show that you have. I don't mean formal as in dress, but formal, as in a structure that you have control over, as apposed to impromptu type performances for friends, or more free flowing performances like walk around gigs.

In a show like this it is good to know the conditions you will be performing under, and a close up pad is a great way to control a big one of those conditions.

As I was saying, size matters here. You want to make sure it will be big enough for the type of work you will be using it for. When I made my first one, it was about the same size as my briefcase when the case is flat. This was great for laying the case down, and having an instant performance surface.

This worked fine for most of my card and coin work, however, it turned out to be cutting it close for any Matrix routines I wanted to do, and other larger routines like Cups and Balls.

For some, this size of pad may still be ideal for these such routines, however, I discovered the size was limiting for the particular routines I was doing.

I eventually purchased a larger one that was much better suited for my Cups and Balls, etc, however, it no longer fit on my case, so I was now limited to using tables big enough for my pad to fit on. I now have a perfect fold up table that is just a touch larger than my pad, which I use. As for my case, a good idea is to turn the side of it into a performance surface permanently. Attach a pad to it, or build a home made pad right onto it. Just make it look good. It can't look like you just glued a pad on. It should look professional.

Of course the same thing can be done to the aforementioned table, which is what I am working on now. So, my pad will once again be obsolete for most of my performances.

Of course, I still keep it around, rolled up in my case (it is the same width as my case is long) in case I have a show where there may already be a table, and I wish to have a controlled surface, but I am also prepared, from a technical/technique stand point to perform on any surface.

Mar 15, 2009
Minnesota
Close up pads are very nice for flourishes, and they just make everything seem a little easier. I personally recommend the 18-inch - it's big enough for ribbon spreads, yet it is small enough to be carried around everywhere you go.

However, as Glenn mentioned above, you really can't learn to rely on a close up pad. When you are out on the street performing, you won't be able to sit down on the sidewalk, and pull out your close up pad.

If you perform more parlor or stage, then you can take it up on stage and use it, but what good is a small deck of cards to a room of 200 people? I've tried (and failed) to do card magic for a large group of people, but all that I did was make people squit in frustraction.

So, yeah. You can browse around and find one that is the right size for you (I still recommend the 18 inch :p).

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hey,
Although I agree about practicing on a closeup mat, I picked one up from Penguin that was very nice. I just got the square black (18" I believe). I only use it during a show. I have a table that it fits on nicely. I like it a lot and it was inexpensive. It was a good purchase.

Hey Everyone,

I have been doing magic for about 2 1/2 years now, without a close-up mat, and I have decided that for effects and moves such as the Push Through False Shuffle, and the Invisible Palm (many more effects as well), it is much easier to complete these moves successfully.

My questions about this item are::

-What is an IDEAL SIZE?

-What is an IDEAL COST? (Links to websites where they are good deals are appreciated :D)

-Does THICKNESS of them make a difference?

-Are they REALLY necessary? (Do they make a good enough difference that makes it a good investment.)

If you could answer ANY of the questions above, that would be appreciated.

Take care everyone.

Thank you for everything.

-Sanj

P.S. I did a search and couldn't find anything! If this has been brought up before and has had some good responses, feel free to shoot me a link and mods you may then close it!
First I too would like to note that this is a very wise purchase. I got one last month and absolutely love practicing new effects on it. It is a must have for anyone looking to improve their close up effects. Now on to your questions.

1: The Size From E Is Perfect.

2: Again E's is only 30 bucks but you can do better.

3: I am not sure.

4: They are excellent to practice on and make videos easier to watch then a cluttered desk.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Just curious Dylan, how Close-up mats improve close up effects?

I guess I agree with the general gist of this thread. I'd like to add that having a close-up mat can augment your magic by improving its framing, if you are in a situation that would benefit from this. I don't perform with a close up mat, except in a parlour type setting, but I do like having one out to practice with. Honestly though, thinking about the effects from my repertoire, none of the regulars is particularly helped by the presence (or hindered by the absence) of a mat. I do like the feeling of just having it there, though.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Just curious Dylan, how Close-up mats improve close up effects?

I guess I agree with the general gist of this thread. I'd like to add that having a close-up mat can augment your magic by improving its framing, if you are in a situation that would benefit from this. I don't perform with a close up mat, except in a parlour type setting, but I do like having one out to practice with. Honestly though, thinking about the effects from my repertoire, none of the regulars is particularly helped by the presence (or hindered by the absence) of a mat. I do like the feeling of just having it there, though.

chris kenner's paint by numbers requires a close-up mat.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I like my Close up pad because it makes doing a Riffle Shuffle or even things like a Zarrow a lot easier. It doesn't really HURT or HELP. It just makes some things easier to do.

D

Deleted member 2755

I don't own one yet, but I was (and still am) planning on getting one in my next magic order in the distant future. Its just nice to have one for practicing. Sure, you won't have one for actual performance, but it will still make practicing a more pleasurable experience. Of course you should be able to do anything you do on a pad without one, but its just nice to have while practicing. Of course, I don't own one. So make whatever you want out of this post.

-Doug

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Don't buy one, there is my advice.

You'll get used to it, and if it's not going to be with you every performance then some performances will begin to lack due to it.

However if you'll always have it with you, then what the heck, feel free.

Mar 25, 2009
Hi there does any one know where to get close-up pad in UK ?
Are those from magic makers good ?
And whic one is used in the one on one ?

I use a close up pad during my close up shows. it looks professional. and instead of people thinking you did something sneaky with your hands, they blame it on the pad. its not bad. but atleast they aren't thinking about slights.
I would get one, because it is professional looking to have one. and it helps with doing certain effects. like shuffles and spreads.
i dont usually practice with one, but i use it during my shows, and it makes my life easier.
u can get a nice one from penguin magic
http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=5722
that is the one i have. its cheap and quite nice, and easy to store (it rolls up.)
i have no complaints with it so far and it is big so i can do a nice show with it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results