Close-Up Show

Jan 16, 2010
So, I have a show coming up on the 17th of april, its for ten 13 year old girls. I just want to know what the theory11 community here would advise. I have an hour and a half to work with and its a strolling/ maybe a little standup in front of all of them. any ideas on material? after I get some answers, ill put down some of my own ideas. anything is good for me as I have alot of time to perfect rountines.

Thanks in advance for the input. and I'm excited to see what everyone says.

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Don't be a clown, those 13 year olds are not 5 year olds.
I say treat them as you would treat adults, so use the same material.
I think they would appreciate not being spoken down to.

Obviously, Don't do something with insects....Girls....pfft etc etc, just common sense.

I say treat like adults. :D

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Let me start out by saying that you do not have a ton of time to perfect stuff. Its april 4, and you said it was April 17? That's not a lot of time at all. Sorry to be the bear of bad news, but anyway, I will try to help you.

Well like said before, don't be clownish. Girls hate that, be adultish... But be fun and funny. As for tricks, do some cool card, coins, rubberband magic. Stairway by Marcus Eddie is a great effect. I have got some good reactions from DG's Jacobs ladder, timeline 2.0, and my favorite .44 all from Symphony.

Also, Mark Wilsons course to magic is a great book. You can pick it up from borders or an alike store.

If you have anyother questions, feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps,

-blake.

May 7, 2009
try to be charming and funny. grab their interest early.
i would say perform something with flash paper or something with magic that they haven't probably seen before. PK touch with loops always freaks girls out. Pressure also because girls love their cell phones (not to be stereotypical).

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
In my experience, 13 yr olds like to see things move...they like visual/cool things. Be funny, don't be stupid..like said b4. And you should do fine...also keep in mind they have short attension spans..or at least most young teens do. So If you ever tell storys with ur magic...don't make it too long to the point they get board..then again tht kinda goes for any audience. Also, you only have like 13 days to get things figured out so id get crackin if i were u cuz thts like not a lot of time...if you can maybe try and do tricks tht might relate to them..Pressure and loops are good like stated above, anything where u can add a finger ring into it some girls wear rings[stretched DG/ring flight]...redline is good too, gum magic. stay away from gambling type things most 13yr olds dont gamble or know about tht so they might not like tht as much..sorry if im telling you stuff you already know..it seems like it would be common sense but some people don't know that so i figured id add it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
For ten people you will won't be able to 'stroll' or walk around. It will be ten of them watching you.

Do tricks you already know. You cannot learn much in a couple of weeks, let alone perfect it. So make a list of the tricks that you love to do, and the tricks you think are the most powerful.

Plan on doing 30 minutes and have enough material to do up to 45 minutes. Fewer effects will go over much better.

Put the list into an order of a theme/effect. Try to (in a short two weeks) work on your (verbal) transitions between each effect to create a smooth show. (This is part of routining your show -there is tons of info about this if you use the search feature)

Have your strongest effect as a closer. And a fast paces opener.

Don't forget to feed your presentation from your audience. Listen to them. What are they saying? What are they joking about? What is their body language saying? Joke with them. Feed off their humour and what they are laughing at. Don't just plow through your trick list.

Hope some of that is helpful.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Justin pretty much covered everything that needed to be said and what I was going to tell you.

You aren't even going to come close to performing magic for an hour and a half for 13 year old girls. The longest I've ever done a close up show for was one hour and I even felt like it was way too much. It was for 15 high school girls at an after prom event. Their attention spans are short and they are gitty. 30-45 minutes will be plenty of magic for them. Trust me.

Good luck and have fun.

Jun 2, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Let me start out by saying that you do not have a ton of time to perfect stuff. Its april 4, and you said it was April 17? That's not a lot of time at all. Sorry to be the bear of bad news, but anyway, I will try to help you.

Well like said before, don't be clownish. Girls hate that, be adultish... But be fun and funny. As for tricks, do some cool card, coins, rubberband magic. Stairway by Marcus Eddie is a great effect. I have got some good reactions from DG's Jacobs ladder, timeline 2.0, and my favorite .44 all from Symphony.

Also, Mark Wilsons course to magic is a great book. You can pick it up from borders or an alike store.

If you have anyother questions, feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps,

-blake.
Most of the time when Im called to perform its sometimes last minute, like a day or two before. Everyone else pretty much summed up some nice ideas, so good luck. How old are you? if alot older than 13 just know, dont be creepy.

So, I have a show coming up on the 17th of april, its for ten 13 year old girls. I just want to know what the theory11 community here would advise.

Oh you mean besides a bottle of a Valium and strait jacket?

Id try going very visual, and as clean as possible. Those types usually want to handle if not rip things out of your hands. Audience control is a must.

I don't really know what to advise... I cant recall the last time I performed for a group of young teen girls at a party.

Best of luck!

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
how old are you? are these girls from your school who are having a sleepover and want you to show them some magic? or is it a birthday party set up by a rich mother? whats the scoop?

So, I have a show coming up on the 17th of april, its for ten 13 year old girls. I just want to know what the theory11 community here would advise. I have an hour and a half to work with and its a strolling/ maybe a little standup in front of all of them. any ideas on material? after I get some answers, ill put down some of my own ideas. anything is good for me as I have alot of time to perfect rountines.

Thanks in advance for the input. and I'm excited to see what everyone says.
tricks that are instantly repeatable.....

What i often do these days and i found out that it really perserves tricks for you to do later is to perform a lot more impromptu tricks and easy visual card tricks, then every so often during the party when you have that crowd, blow em away with a bigtime effect like thread, or sick, or a kool levitation or something....

this is how i work parties.....

make sure you have 5 effects thats are your absolute sweetest(big effects), but only perform each once, sometimes twice depending on the reception.

and have 3 or 4 of each impromptu or quick reset effects....

3 cards, 3 coins, 4 or 5 mentalisms (quick hitters), 3 vanishes and productions, 3 or 4 penetrations,

1 or 2 levitations( a self and a item, 1 or 2 geek, 1 or 2 pk, a fire effect, etc.

yeah you get the point. have a lotta quick reset or impromptu magic effects and some really special big time illusions....

Mar 2, 2008
i honestly would do the tricks from tomas medinas geek magic dvd, sick, saw, and, thread just to gross them all out

Those are better one time effects. Do people really want to be grossed the whole party or entertained?

10 is a small crowed.... It won't be strolling. Plan on having them all watch at the same time. Get your audince control lines and skills warmed up and do what you do best.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Most of the time when Im called to perform its sometimes last minute, like a day or two before. Everyone else pretty much summed up some nice ideas, so good luck. How old are you? if alot older than 13 just know, dont be creepy.

Why are you asking me how old I am? I'm not the one performing for 13 year old girls. And you can't perfect anything in a week. Sorry.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results