Closeup Competition

Oct 11, 2007
Hello, im entering an 8 minute close up competition, im thinking of doing reswindled by caleb wiles, a trick by michael ammar and ending with waltzing cheek to cheek, ... any ideas just curious what you would do for an 8 minute act... :)

Jun 26, 2009
is it any close up stuff or just cards.
please give me more info and i will be sure to help. i have a show coming up and i am trying to figure out what to do in this situation as well.

-zdog

Oct 11, 2007
its solely 8 minutes of close up material, i have 2 people sitting at a small table in front of me, and thats all i got, anything goes ... just 8 minutes of close up magic, thats the only guidelines and not like huge fire thats all

Jun 26, 2009
its solely 8 minutes of close up material, i have 2 people sitting at a small table in front of me, and thats all i got, anything goes ... just 8 minutes of close up magic, thats the only guidelines and not like huge fire thats all

altighty, well my favorite close up card tricks (cause i do mostly cards) are the biddle trick and any sandwhich effects. but those are kinda simple. you could do... oh a collectors trick. you could have both of them pick a card and you pick a card.

thats all i got. i'll post when i think of more.
sorry,

-zdog

Oct 11, 2007
yeah i have a few mindsets that im thinking about, a shuffled deck that they shuffle and i find all four aces in a more progressive way, a awesome trick by Michael ammar that was on worlds greatest magic that i learned from him years ago in a lecture, reswindled because its PACKED with magic, back in time by joshua jay, search and destroy which is a sandwich trick that i also do a sandwich routine from the session 2007 i believe thats awesome called triple sandwich i believe before i go into search and destroy, waltzing cheek to cheek because boy does that kill, i thought about doing ideck and also replicator from high spots which is a killer walk around set, btw anyone who loves cards should buy caleb wiles high spots, TOP NOTCH material and great presentation for the younger generation i feel... and thats what im thinking about lately and some other tricks up my sleeve lol

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Maybe, to be different, try something other than cards?

If you must, I would suggest one long effect (don't make it boring though) or two effects, both about 4 mins.

They'll be judging more than just your ability to do the tricks though, make your presentations original. If you do an oil and water, don't mention oil or water...be creative.

Good luck, I don't know what all you're comfortable with so I can't give direct effects for you to do.

Which Ammar effect are you referring too?(he has a lot...)

Oct 11, 2007
its an effect, where the cards are shuffled face up and face down where they can see the cards are all mixed up, and you say in this mess of cards im going to go in and find your card, but then you realize they didn't put the card back in, and say you are going to move some cards up and some cards down and when i spread the cards on the table, all the spades are in order face up while everything else is face down, and the only spade missing is his card

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have sat next to judges at close up competitions before and they want "originality" for sure. They do not want to see the same old ambitious routine, cut and restored rope, yadda yadda yadda....you get the drift.

Be very creative and it will pay off.

One effect that stood out at the competition I went to was an effect where the magician borrowed a spectators engagement ring and had it appear in a sealed jello container, smack dab in the middle of the jello. It looked awesome and was examined.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I had a stage competition not long ago, where I had to come up with a 10 minute routine. A few tips.

-Don't neglect audience involvement!
-Be creative, and introduce some ideas that have never been used. eg extra props.
-Make sure your patter integrates well with each trick.
-Finish on a high note and with a bang if possible.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results