Clumping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2009
seckert22, The problem with your deck of cards could be a number of things. Humidity in the region where you live, oil on your hands, care of the deck as it was delivered to you, temperature in your home.

I know this sounds ridiculous but if the problem is humidity in the region of the world where you live then take your deck of cards and stick them in the refrigerator with a new box of baking soda sitting directly next to the deck. Make sure the deck isn't sitting on or near anything moist in the fridge. The baking soda will pull all moisture out of the deck that may be there.

If the problem is temperature in your house then keep handling the deck of cards until they warm up. You can also stick them in your pocket to warm them up quickly. A cold deck of cards will not spread, fan, dribble or spring the way a warm deck will.

If the problem is oil from your hands getting on the cards, First wash your hands. Second, faro shuffle the heck out of that deck of cards to spread the oils over the entire card not just in the areas where you have touched.

If the problem was care by the shipping service who delivered the package to you then the only thing you can do is faro shuffle, spring, dribble and anything else you can think of to break in those cards.

If I had to guess with the time of year the cards are just too cold and need warmed up. I doubt it was oil on your hands because I run my hands through my hair constantly even while performing and I get hair product and oil from my hair on my hands and I still handle my playing cards without washing my hands and I have never had a problem with clumping playing cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I just opened up a brand new deck of Centruions and they're already clumping!

Ever hear of corn starch? (a.k.a. Fanning or Slicking Powder)

Drop the deck into a paper bag with about a half-cup of corn starch, shake vigorously for a solid minute. Remove cards and wipe off (lightly) with a soft cloth. They should fan and work nicely after the fact. . . it's an old secret used by old magicians (not that I resemble that remark) for making decks last as well as function.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
seckert22, The problem with your deck of cards could be a number of things. Humidity in the region where you live, oil on your hands, care of the deck as it was delivered to you, temperature in your home.

I know this sounds ridiculous but if the problem is humidity in the region of the world where you live then take your deck of cards and stick them in the refrigerator with a new box of baking soda sitting directly next to the deck. Make sure the deck isn't sitting on or near anything moist in the fridge. The baking soda will pull all moisture out of the deck that may be there.

If the problem is temperature in your house then keep handling the deck of cards until they warm up. You can also stick them in your pocket to warm them up quickly. A cold deck of cards will not spread, fan, dribble or spring the way a warm deck will.

If the problem is oil from your hands getting on the cards, First wash your hands. Second, faro shuffle the heck out of that deck of cards to spread the oils over the entire card not just in the areas where you have touched.

If the problem was care by the shipping service who delivered the package to you then the only thing you can do is faro shuffle, spring, dribble and anything else you can think of to break in those cards.

If I had to guess with the time of year the cards are just too cold and need warmed up. I doubt it was oil on your hands because I run my hands through my hair constantly even while performing and I get hair product and oil from my hair on my hands and I still handle my playing cards without washing my hands and I have never had a problem with clumping playing cards.

I would have to strongly disagree with you Sam. I have found that a warm deck is much more prone to clumping. So, instead of making the cards warmer by playing with them more, you should put them down every once in a while so that they can cool down. This does not make them any easier to handle but it does stop the clumping issue.

I don't know Sam. Don't you live pretty close to me? Maybe it has to do with how we handle the cards.

Dec 26, 2009
Yea it may be a difference in users. I find that a warm deck of cards works a ton better for myself compared to a deck that I pull straight out of the drawer or has been sitting in my bag all day.

Oct 19, 2015
I have just opened a deck of Sentinels from theory 11 and I can't fan them at all! Help! Not sure what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results