Coin Magic

Sep 1, 2010
hey guys, i've been doing card magic for almost a year now, and i want to get in coin magic, i know all the basic slights like french drop, retention vanish, and all that stuff. i've got infecter, silver dream (which i am currently working on). But these are tricks, i really want to learn coin sleights and small, really cool coin tricks that can practise and feel good about coin magic. Are there any DVD's or tricks that can help with coin sleights or names of tricks i can look up.

thanks a lot! :D

Sep 1, 2010
can you please name them? i only know metal, extension of me, and audio. is there any more? thanks!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I am also starting to expand my magic! I have been doing more magic with ordinary objects (I just did one tonight with pool stick chalk!). I know a few coin effects like 3 coins across, 3 coins to pocket, and coin in tic tac box. I am also waiting on Smashed to come in!

I want to expand my coin magic as well, though. My girlfriend ordered my birthday present today. She got me Metal (Eric Jones new DVD) and a Schoolcraft expanded shell and 4 matching soft walking liberties! I can't wait!

Sep 1, 2007
I am also starting to expand my magic! I have been doing more magic with ordinary objects (I just did one tonight with pool stick chalk!). I know a few coin effects like 3 coins across, 3 coins to pocket, and coin in tic tac box. I am also waiting on Smashed to come in!

I want to expand my coin magic as well, though. My girlfriend ordered my birthday present today. She got me Metal (Eric Jones new DVD) and a Schoolcraft expanded shell and 4 matching soft walking liberties! I can't wait!

Wow, you mean a deans set? If you're just starting out that's quite the investment man. Especially if you're going to drop a $200 set of coins, they're 90% silver, which means they dent. Not saying don't get them, just know if you're starting out you might not want to use them, good coins to have, but I didn't get a deans set till I had 3 years of coin magic under my belt.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't think theyre a deans set. http://realcoinmagic.com/shop.htm The ones she ordered are the Walking Liberties just under the Barber Deans set on that page. I was going to get a Roy Keuppers set but his soft Liberty shell with 4 matching inserts was $215 but she found the Schoolcraft ones for $150 so she bought those.

Aug 31, 2007
What i'd do is buy a copy of Bobos..skim through it then put it on your shelf. Then get some David Stone dvds and go back to the book once you know some stuff =)

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think theyre a deans set. http://realcoinmagic.com/shop.htm The ones she ordered are the Walking Liberties just under the Barber Deans set on that page. I was going to get a Roy Keuppers set but his soft Liberty shell with 4 matching inserts was $215 but she found the Schoolcraft ones for $150 so she bought those.

I hope my post didn't come across as mean, but just be wary, buying really expensive professional materials is fun and makes you feel professional, but if you haven't earned your stripes yet with coins you might end up paying for all your stuff all over again.

This comes from experience, I dropped my first coin shell and I got an $80 one from school craft, It's dented and has never looked that same again.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Eric just released a coin DVD through ellusionist. I haven't seen it, but I hear it's amazing. And of course, you should get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.

Eric Jones' Metal is great for learning the fundamentals. It'd start with that and then work through Bobo.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Beans25, I am going to take super good care of these coins! I have some experience in coin magic. I can do a pretty decent one coin routine and a 3 coins across so I'm not SUPER new to it! I am getting Metal though to build on what I already know and improve on sleights that I already know. I may practice with the Liberties, but only over my bed or carpet or my close up pad.

I will probably perform with my Kennedy halves until I get good enough to where I won't drop the beautiful Liberties!

Thanks for the advice by the way! I didn't realize they would dent!

Aug 17, 2010
Some other things you may want to look into are David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic - Made Easy" DVDs, his Stars of Magic DVD, or his book, Expert Coin Magic.

Sep 1, 2007
Beans25, I am going to take super good care of these coins! I have some experience in coin magic. I can do a pretty decent one coin routine and a 3 coins across so I'm not SUPER new to it! I am getting Metal though to build on what I already know and improve on sleights that I already know. I may practice with the Liberties, but only over my bed or carpet or my close up pad.

I will probably perform with my Kennedy halves until I get good enough to where I won't drop the beautiful Liberties!

Thanks for the advice by the way! I didn't realize they would dent!

Yes they will, I'm just making sure because everyone and their mother is trying to get into the coin magic hype. Those of is who have been in it and been performing it for a while are just worried, because trying to look like a pro by using the same materials doesn't work with coins as well as it does with cards. It's a lot more money wasted to ruin a coin set than a deck.

I know what you mean about the DVD I'm getting it too just to see what's on it haha

Btw do you have a coin purse? If no, buy one.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Sorry if I am one of those filtering into the coin magic! haha I have been interested in coin magic for a while, and I know quite a few sleights well (I watched in the beginning there were coins at least 100 times haha) But I have never really performed coin magic due to lack of confidence in my coin magic. I have those annoying "windows" in my fingers.

I am hoping that this DVD will touch up the knowledge I already have of coin magic and teach me more!

And I thought of getting a coin purse...is it a good investment? (not that they cost that much lol)

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Here is my advice.

Do not worry about getting any major coin sets until you start performing some serious coin magic. Any normal post 64 fifty cent pieces will do.

First, I would suggest both books and DVDs. However, I suggest reading first. The reason for this is that it will challenge your interpretation skills and make you focus heavily on worded detail. When you try to learn coin magic from a book, when it says that you put the card in the first, not the second, join of your left hand's second finger, you really have to put it in your first joint. From a DVD, it might not be as clear.

After getting the fundamentals down of the various palms, false transfers, vanishes, multiple coin handling, then going on to DVDs to compare your fluidity and hand movement would be best.

Some other things to think about:
You can walk around all day with coins palmed. You can type on the computer, hold a pencil, and drive a car (maybe after you are really proficient, since safety always comes first).

You can practice shuttle passes while watching TV.

Pretty much almost everything you do each day can be done with a coin in some kind of palm. Do this for a few months and your hand will just naturally start working with coins more proficiently.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results