coin magic

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Hi guys, I just saw Shoot Ogawa over the weekend and I must say it was one of the best lectures I've been to. After the lecture he inspired me to go into coin magic. So do you guys have any tip on where to learn the muscle pass and other sleights? Also, could you tell me what kind of coins to use (the silver kind) and where to get about ten of them for no more than 200 dollars? thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Well I don't live in Baltimore but I go to Denny and Lee's a lot since it's the only brick and mortar shop that I know of. And thanks for the link.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Keep in mind that coin magic is going to take a lot of time and effort to get it to where many of these top level guys have it. Some people think they can just grab coins and be up and performing like Garrett Thomas, but these guys will also be the first ones to tell you it took sometimes close to 5 years or more of steady practice to get their coin work where it is today.

I'm not discouraging you, just being brutally honest so you know what lies ahead. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for the heads up. I figured that it will take awhile, and I'll try and keep you guys posted. Also, do you know where I should start to learn the muscle pass? thanks

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
There are several muscle pass DVDs. I own the Penguin Magic version but there is one by David Kong, Kris Nevling and maybe a couple more. Take a look and see what looks good to you and read the reviews.

May 2, 2010
I learnt the Muscle Pass from Dan Watkin's site, the Foundations section on www.coinvanish.com.

I think the description and the photos there are excellent. I managed to do a decent muscle pass (with no upward hand movement) with a dollar coin after about 1-2 months after reading that description.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Ask yourself the question of, "Why do I need the muscle pass and how am I going to incorporate it into magic?"

Here's why. I was at the magic castle 2 summers ago and watched a guy perform a flawless 2 foot muscle pass and the audience did NOT even care. I chased him down after the show and said, "Wow..that muscle pass was sick!" They guy really thanked me and turned and said that none of his audiences ever even react to it nor do they care.

Just food for thought.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Equally Rick, I've had people ask me if I've seen that thing Dynamo does where the coin jumps up from one hand to the other. It does impress people but it's not a trick in itself, it's an offbeat oddity or something that may capture someones attention in an every day scenario.

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
My recommendation would be to get Bobo's coin magic, it's a phenomenal resource for coin magic and you can get it for super cheap online. Also as a bunch of people have already mentioned, the muscle pass should not just be used blatantly. My advice would be to not learn the muscle pass until you have a solid foundation in coin work and can routine the muscle pass into your set, because as a standalone piece it is very weak.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Formula, I'm sure you are right as well. I guess it probably just depends on how the muscle pass is used and presented as in most magic.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I once had a thing for the Muscle pass, the problem was that I got to a point where I sat there like "Why am I doing this?" The muscle CAN be used for a lot of good routines, the main thing though is there are other less painful sleights (yes, learning the Muscle pass is literally going to hurt like hell.) that can do some of the things the muscle pass does. IE: ditching a coin and really, every time I see the MP done it just looks like the guy is squeezing his hand together (thus looking less "magical" and more like "Oh it's his hand muscle that achieve it.").

As for Coin magic, There are a few great sources out there for beginners. Eric Jones has his Metal DVD sets, David Roth has a few DVD's that teach beginners coin magic, and I know there is the bobo book and whatnot.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Not sure about the muscle pass DVDs, but like Rick, I don't think they get much reaction. I have tried it a few times and the audience aren't too impressed. Every now and again it will excite someone, but not an overwhelming majority.

I do suggest you get Metal by Eric Jones. It really helped me learn the basics as well as help me progress to go routines. The issues with coin magic is that people just do a vanish and that's it. So naturally, the audience knows it went in the other hand. Learning a routine with help you out, and Metal has a few for you to work with. Enjoy!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results