Compression by Dan White

I just heard some rumors that the dissolving Deck trick on David Blaine's Special should be sold soon and it's called Compression by Dan White (this is a rumor ) not a 100% sure,

Any more info would be appreciated
Thanks

That shrinking deck effect is more commonly known as the Inflated Deck concept, originated by Lin Searles. It was first published in the 1930's and later re-popularized by David Harkey. Gregory Wilson also used it and taught it in Pyrotechnic Pasteboards. It's a very, very simple and versatile concept that can be used for vanishing deck effects, Ambitious Card, etc. Recently, it's primarily been used as a throwaway sight gag, but it appears as though it's been re-modified to stand on its own as a solid effect again. I was pretty impressed seeing it revived on television.

Hope this helps,
RS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure all the manageable effects seen on the special tonight will be sold on the market within the next few weeks. Once Murphy's ships to the wholesalers, you can expect to see the sales and special promotions pop up at your favorite distributers. For the record though, you can learn "Compression" already as it's an age old secret that's already been published in numerous sources stated above. I recommend looking into David Harkey's book as well as Gregory Wilson's DVD. You will get a lot of mileage out of The Inflated Deck concept. I use it all the time, myself. I am interested in seeing what Dan White and Dan Hauss have to contribute to the concept, but I'm debating whether or not their simple effect warrants an entire DVD.

RS.

meauxfeaux

Elite Member
Sep 8, 2007
Romeo speaks the truth. The inflated deck principle was published by Lin Searles in 1938. You will indeed find 2 very cool routines utilizing this principle in David Harkey's book "Simply Harkey".

The book is a treasure trove of fantastic, creative material. One of the best kept secrets in close-up magic.

Aug 5, 2008
Compression and Lit don't seem to be available ay all, if they ever were. Anybody know if they are ever going to be for sale?

David
It will go on sale in two weeks' time, as is Lit and Exile. I've scouted around a bit, and this is what was stated on several sites.

Oct 28, 2007
That shrinking deck effect is more commonly known as the Inflated Deck concept, originated by Lin Searles. It was first published in the 1930's and later re-popularized by David Harkey. Gregory Wilson also used it and taught it in Pyrotechnic Pasteboards. It's a very, very simple and versatile concept that can be used for vanishing deck effects, Ambitious Card, etc. Recently, it's primarily been used as a throwaway sight gag, but it appears as though it's been re-modified to stand on its own as a solid effect again. I was pretty impressed seeing it revived on television.

Hope this helps,
RS.

i am pretty sure this is not the inflation concept because fourteen cards can not be inflated to look like an entire deck

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
i am pretty sure this is not the inflation concept because fourteen cards can not be inflated to look like an entire deck

Not sure if I have the same concept, but I've been able to mess around and actually found a way to make the cards look like a full deck. I'm pretty sure my method is not the same, as it's quite angly and takes a while to get it to look right. Guess we'll just have to wait until mid October to find out for sure.

David

Aug 7, 2008
I know one thing about the inflation concept, Lennart Green uses it during his routine. It's hard to catch, but when he brings the deck back, he says "but not to many, because then you have to push them down" or something very similar. He displays a deck about twice the size of a normal one, and "pushes" it back to normal. Everyone is too busy appaulding to notice.

ninja--

Compression is undoubtedly the Inflated Deck concept. Prior to replying to this thread, I took ten cards and made them look like a full deck. Sooo, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

With that said, I'm sure the DVD will be a worthy buy. This very discussion shows that it's still an underestimated and underused concept in card magic that a lot of people could potentially use. Personally, I've only used it as a phase in an Ambitious Card Routine, but watching Blaine make the deck visually diminish was a refreshing reminder to how versatile this sleight truly is. I only want to widen everyone's horizons by making them aware that this effect isn't anything new and already has quality literature written on it.

Looking forward to the buy, regardless.

Always,

RS.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the info romeo... Incidentally, in Pyrotechnic Pasteboards, several routines sound like they could use this principle, does anyone know (adjones? :D) which routine or if several routines use this?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results