Conceptions of Mystery by Shane Black

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Conceptions
Of
Mystery

How Much? $14.95

Where At? http://shaneblackmagic.com/product.html

What They Say 50 Pages Full Color Over 14 Illusions for the working professional.

Designed to help take your magic to the next level and bring back what magics been missing...Mystery.

Various routines using jumbo coins, needle through balloon, card through bottle, torn & restored leaf, card sleights, impromptu ring flight, and much more.

“Practical and hard hitting you can’t beat the price for the what I’ve included in here I put my everyday working effects in this book, it's the book I always wanted to write”!

Shane.

Thoughts Shane has been writing this for a long time now.I remember asking him a few times near the deadline how it was going he worked his heart out on this and for an amazing result. There are about 14 or so effects. So pretty much 1 buck and effect which is really awesome! Im sure some of these could have been released seperately for that much.

The layout is nice,simple and clean it has been set out as almost a cookbook more or less. When Printed out this is very easy to follow but if you are reading it as a PDF file its a bit different but still the instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

Now im sure this review will probably go for a little while as im going to talk a bit about every effect.

Teaching Now i've learned a few of these effects personally from Shane but there is some really great stuff in here like said above it is quite easy to follow. Everything is set out clearly and seperated into sections. From the effect,materials needed to the presentation pretty much everything is included.

So Now Im going to talk a bit about each effect and some of the little essays included.

"Why Release My Material Now?" (Essay)
This Essay goes for about one page and hence the name kind of emplains his material. What he was like when he started magic and how he has developed a great read.

P.I.P.1 (Picture in Picture)
The ink from their chosen card is imprinted inside the spectators borrowed bottle. The spectator is allowed to keep the bottle.

This is definitely one of the coolest things in the book i remember Shane showing me this a long time ago its definitely really cool. There is another version which is next item in the book. Now i think alot if not all of the material in this book are workers. The Materials for the effect are easy to obtain and will really only cost you a few dollars at most. Generally it is not much of a hassle. A really cool effect its one of those things you have to even see a picture of to realise how cool it is.

P.I.P.2

Basically the effect is the same as above with the exception is that is done with a glass (E.g Shot Glass) rather than say a bottle.

I think this one looks alot better than the first version but a bit more set-up before hand is required as the gimmick is a little bit more complicated than the first one. Though after one trip you should have enough gimmicks to keep you going for a while.
The "Moves" are fairly easy to pull of no absolutely difficult things to pull off here.

Mental And Proud Of It

This is a routine I have been using as a opener
that allows you to use mentalism, sleight of
hand, and some nice props all in one.

Now thats what is said in the book there is no effect description but i can give you guys a brief overview.
A Bill is Borrowed and Signed so it cannot be mistaken for another bill. The Bill is kept in view and the magician enters his pocket to pull out a small box along with a pen. The Bill is clipped onto the cap of the pin and is left on the table infront of everyone. A deck is pulled out (See alot going on here from some mental stuff to some cardy stuff) a card is selected lets say the "Ten Of Clubs" You say that you made a prediction earlier. A little envelope is pulled out wiht "Prediction" on the front. Its opened and a key falls out the magician gives the spectator the key to open the box which has been also sitting there the whole time.
The box is opened and there is the spectators signed bill! The bill is unfolded and on the back is a predictio, correct i might add, written along the back of there signed bill is TEN OF CLUBS.

So thats the effect. You can see alot goes on and there seems to be a little bit for everyone. There are a few little jokes and tid bits that go through this as well. It seems like a fun opener though by the end out might have a few more things out on the table then you are comfortable with. For the most part everything is accounted for through out the routine and it makes sense.

Definitely a fun little routine.

S.F.C.S.E (Simplest Freaken Card Steal Ever)
This is a fun on this really is a bloody simple steal and it looks very clean. Shane has shown this to alot of people including Micheal Ammar i believe.

I was shown this steal quite some time ago and have been playing with it ever since. The instructions are clear all the angles have been set out making this easy to learn from there are clear pictures aswell.

This really is Really really simple.

Sweetly Done

The performer asks someone at the table
to remove a few sugar packets from their caddy
and place them on the table. After having the sugar
packet chosen and briefly examined a quarter is borrowed,
signed with a sharpie and placed on top of
the packet. With a little rubbing the quarter passes
into the sugar packet and is shown on both sides,
you slowly rip the packet open revealing the quarter
inside allowing the spectator to remove the quarter

Shane Posted a video of this a while back somewhere. The method is amazing.
Its so easy. I dont know much more to say about this except there are up to 18 pictures helping explain the effect in detail.

All Head No Substance

A Very clean vanish of a Jumbo Coin (Impromptu)

This was another thing i was also shown it has changed a bit since i last saw it but it could also be used for cards and i guess even just normal sized coins.

The vanish and the reproduction look amazing the hands are opened pretty much the whole time and its performed in a fluid motion.

A funky vanish which can be applied to many things. I myself dont own a jumbo coin but i have tried it with a jumbo coin. Im sure you guys will love it.

Poor Mans Ring Flight

The Ring Flight.

Now there is a gimmick for this but this isnt some ridiculous hook-up which you won't wear around. This can be pretty much set up on the go. This was another item Shane showed to Micheal and he loved it. The method is really fun and quite easy to do and you really only need to buy 1 or 2 things which are used in other items in the book.
There are multiple pictures explaining the motions and the process.

Alot of fun to play around with even if you don't plan on using it.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Water Of Leaf

The overall trick involves you tearing a random
leaf in the pool into four pieces and submerging
the pieces into the water and as they float back
to the top they restore themselves back into one
solid leaf.

Thats it. Now this is perfect for us in Aussie because its just coming into summer and its getting quite hot but still this could be done at the beach a pool but generally it's done in the water.

I havent had the chance to try this out but it looks like its going to be fun the method is fun and easy and im sure you will get some great feed back from it.

C.T.B Live

This is a completely impromptu card through box. More than one penetration has occured and its pretty much a little routine. The sleights are quite easy and there are some really great pictures in this one making it easy to follow. Some people might not be comfortable with some of the moves used in the routine but over time you will.

A fun little card through box for all the card guys.

Casper
The performer takes out a deck of cards and has the cards shuffled by someone from the audience
. The deck is then spread face down and a card is selected, the card is then tossed back into the deck
and shuffled again and placed face down on the table. The performer tells the audience about certain
energy forces that every intangible object has and how that energy can be harnessed with enough concentration.
The performer then places his hand steady about 10 inches above the deck and without any
movement the deck starts to spread on its own and one card visibly floats out of the deck onto the table
top and turns it-self over. The spectator is free to inspect the deck, their chosen card, and of course your
hands.

This is another one i havent got to try yet but you practically start "Clean" and end "Clean" its a very cool version of this effect though there have been many like it. Some you are still left with say Thread running through the deck or some other gimmick sitting there. Pretty much as soon as the card has come out of the deck the spectator can immediatly pick up the pack for examination.

B.B Double
The Bling Bling Aerial Double

This double is a nice flourishy and aerial double it can land in a multitude of places without spliting its visually appealing and can be done through trial and error. Its almost got the DBD sort of feel to it but it includes a little card twirl for all your flourishers.

Also again for you flourishers you can do this with about 1/3rd of the pack and still succeed without it splitting.

Clinched

This is another Aerial move with cards for you guys who know Snap'D from DM it has that sort of feel to it except it can work as a boomerang card.
This will take a while to practice i dont have it down and it has a certain knack to it but when you get it right it looks awesome.

The Snap Change On Steroids (Snap'D)

This is quite a cool version of the snap change with a really neat inbuilt clean-up. It looks like you rub the card on the back of your hand and it changes. You are left completely clean and the card has changed visually great job on this i nice little variation on the snap change.

Blown

So here we are the last effect in the book its been long but worth it. Im sure alot of you guys on here will like this and it might just fit your style.

Here is the Description

The magician ask a spectator sign a one dollar bill and to hold it tightly in between their finger tips. He then pulls out a gigantic needle attached to a black thread about three feet in length with a ring tied to the end and follows by pulling out of the other pocket a balloon. The magician begins handing the needle to the spectator and blows the balloon up and ties the end sealing it from any outside influences.
He then takes the needle and quickly pushes it through the bottom of the
balloon and it doesn’t pop in fact he pushes the needle through the neck as well and pulls the needle out and hands the needle to the spectator to hold as he takes their signed dollar bill and visually rubs
the bill through the balloon and surprisingly attach it to the thread as well. The spectator can see the writing on the bill and is asked to pop the balloon with the needle they are holding. The spectator
sees the bill now in the balloon the magician breaks the thread taking the bill off and handing it
back to the spectator to verify their signature.

So as you can see its a take on the classic needle through balloon effect with a twist. The teaching on this one is quite indepth with alot of pictures. Shane told me alot about this. Now though i might not use it because of some of the environments i perform in i can't wait to give it a go it looks like it will alot of fun.
All the materials are easy to obtain and the effect isnt to hard to perform.

Credits and History

All the people that helped or inspired Shane are all here there are some interesting details which i have already gone back and looked up regarding some of my favourites from the book.

Basic Forces and Sleights

Thats pretty much it. Shane wanted to make this book suitable for every magician that bought it from a beginner to a working pro though there are no pictures in this section references are made so further study and details in the moves can be looked into.

So thats it!!

As you can see there is a buttload of stuff in this book. There are bits and pieces for everyone from coin guys, card guys,mentalism guys ect.

Hopefully the review wasnt to long for you guys it took me a while but hopefully you found out everything you need to know about this.

Its definitely something you won't be dissapointed in if you use one thing from this book you are set.

Congrate to Shane on finally releasing this and great job

Thats all from me this review is to long already:D

Tom

Thank you Tom for this great review I'm sure it took some time to write and I'm glad you liked the effects as well. Just one key note the effects in this book where written in routine format since these effects are part of my actual set. Since it's almost christmas time I have decided to reduce the price to $9.95 for this week only but trust me when I tell you this will not be a book you just push to the back of your shelf, YOU will use these effects or merge them into your existing set.

Thanks,

Shane.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Just wanted to add a quick comment here. Tom is absolutely right and I quite agree with his review. I've only had the chance to have a once-over so far, but will definitely be going over it more.

P.I.P.1 and Water of Leaf were highlights for me. I'll evaluate and give my thoughts on them in more detail once I get a chance to read through it more carefully, although I've already got some forming in my mind.

The thing I enjoyed most was that Shane's performing style and indeed personality shone through quite heavily through his magic.

Especially at the reduced price, it's even more of a steal. If I hadn't received the eBook, knowing what I do now, what do I think? Definitely worth the $10 asking price.

Just wanted to add a quick comment here. Tom is absolutely right and I quite agree with his review. I've only had the chance to have a once-over so far, but will definitely be going over it more.

P.I.P.1 and Water of Leaf were highlights for me. I'll evaluate and give my thoughts on them in more detail once I get a chance to read through it more carefully, although I've already got some forming in my mind.

The thing I enjoyed most was that Shane's performing style and indeed personality shone through quite heavily through his magic.

Especially at the reduced price, it's even more of a steal. If I hadn't received the eBook, knowing what I do now, what do I think? Definitely worth the $10 asking price.

Thank you Prae coming from you that means alot. I have a special surprise coming in on Christmas more details to come soon but lets just say it will change how you look at utility systems in your magic intensly. Thanks for the support!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I also recieved this e-book and have gone through it once. I actually can't wait to have the time to go through it again. So many ideas were constantly going through my head as I was reading though each effect.

pip1
poor mans ring flight
mental and proud of it
and sweetly done
are the highlights from my first read through, this e-book actually helped me (I hope) figure out how to do a different effect I've been trying to figure out. (Shane, I'll pm you the effect if I can get it working, I want to play with it before I just toss it out there, I think you'll like it though)

Since the last month has been filled with me gathering material to get some working routines together and attempting to get a job at a restaurant or two, these effects should help quite a lot in filling some gaps I was having routine-wise.

I'll put a more detailed review if I have time (looks like I will tonight, but we shall see).

I appreciate the read through. Unfortunatley "Conceptions of Mystery" is being pulled from its shelf temporary due to being picked up by another company in which I can't speak of now but details will be revealed soon. Sorry for the inconvenience and be sure to keep an eye out for something big coming this christmas.

Thanks,

Shane.:)

D

Deleted member 2755

I appreciate the read through. Unfortunatley "Conceptions of Mystery" is being pulled from its shelf temporary due to being picked up by another company in which I can't speak of now but details will be revealed soon. Sorry for the inconvenience and be sure to keep an eye out for something big coming this christmas.

Thanks,

Shane.:)

Shame. I love this book. :)

By the way, Shane sent me a video of P.I.P. on Tokbox a loooooong time ago. I nearly crapped myself when I saw that video. He revealed it to me a few weeks later, and I thought Shane was a genius. Could've been a release on its own.

-Doug

Shame. I love this book. :)

By the way, Shane sent me a video of P.I.P. on Tokbox a loooooong time ago. I nearly crapped myself when I saw that video. He revealed it to me a few weeks later, and I thought Shane was a genius. Could've been a release on its own.

-Doug

Your wish is your command that may be a reality soon. The book will be available again in a few weeks with plenty of awesome material for you guys. Stay tuned!

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
This book is filled with workable and creative material. You can definitely tell that Shane really put thought and hard work into this book, and I recommend picking up a copy. There are many highlights in the book you'll both enjoy and will use.

Great job Shane and a review will be up soon!
;)

Inferno Kaiser

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Conceptions of Mystery | Shane Black

Conceptions of Mystery by Shane Black

‘Conceptions of Mystery’ by Shane Black is a PDF containing about 50 Pages Full Color with 14 Illusions for the working professional.

Explained inside are various effects using everything sleights, leaves, jumbo coins, an impromptu ring flight, bills, borrowed drinks and much, much more.

Also, since these effects are from Shane’s actual set, they are written in ‘routine’ format and everything is written in the upmost precision.

This book is filled with workable and creative material. You can definitely tell that Shane really put thought and hard work into this book, and I recommend picking up a copy. There are many highlights in the book you'll both enjoy and will use.

Some highlights in the book for me where:

‘Poor Man’s Ring Flight'- “A ring if borrowed, vanished and found around your wrist, on your rubber band.”

Although tricky at first, when done right, this is great. If you've played around with the plot of 'Ring Flights' than you know how strong they can be and this makes a name for itself.

‘Water of Leaf’- “A leaf is torn into 4 pieces where they are shortly submerged into the water of the pool where they float back up…restored.”

Simple. Effective. Fun.

‘P.I.P.1'- “A spectator’s bottle is placed on the table. They are asked to select a card, you than explain you will try to pass the card through the bottle. They bottle is shaken and the performer pulls the card from the bottom only for it to be blank. The spectator is invited to see that the ink from their card is now imprinted inside the bottle.”

Highly Visual. Super Strong. Just when the spectator's thinks it's over and thinks what's going to happen, the unexpected ending kills them.

+A few more, but I wanted to get you the general idea of what this book contains. It will definitely have something for everybody; from mentalism to cards, to coins…

I have to congratulate Shane for putting this out there. Everything in the book is genious, not only in the effects, but the methods and presentation as well.

Oct 19, 2009
No, remo's black heads all sound coated... It is because what you are doing is putting something on the head which dampens it. If it the same amount no matter what it is going to have the same sound as the equivalent... I think all of remo's black heads sound coated but that is me I hate remos and yes i did try them.

No, remo's black heads all sound coated... It is because what you are doing is putting something on the head which dampens it. If it the same amount no matter what it is going to have the same sound as the equivalent... I think all of remo's black heads sound coated but that is me I hate remos and yes i did try them.

I'm not really sure what your saying hear please clarify.

Nov 8, 2007

You need to make an appointment with your doctor.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008

I believe they are just spammers who come onto these forums and post things that don't even make sense, but you guys probably already knew that ;)

Inferno Kaiser

We'll after releasing news to the forums about my new employer PaperCrane Magic I have decided to release "Conceptions of Mystery" again to the public for the next couple of months. I just made my way back from Daytona Beach in Florida at the convention there and conceptions as well as my early release PaperCrane material was a hit and sold like crazy. You guys will see some new stuff in a few weeks so keep an eye out for that.

http://shaneblackmagic.com/product.html

Thanks,

Shane

Sep 20, 2009
Hullo Shane.

we met a week or so a go on Tiny-Chat at Exomagic..

anyway.. if your working with Daniel Madison now.. tell him to answer his emails once in a while ;)

congratulation Mate

Cheers Indeed

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results