consecutive shows: resetting and plan B

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
Hey guys,

since Chanukah is a time when i get a lot of gigs i ended up doing 2 shows, one night following the next. Because of all my schoolwork and homework and stuff I had rushed a bit for the first show last night, and although it went well, I feel especially proud of what happened tonight.

Given the circumstances, I had planned to reset and set up and prepare all my props for the next days show as soon as that days show was over, so I wouldnt have to rush as much as I did the next night.

So there i was, performing for a group of 30-40 mix of children and adults, and I had just finished up my act to music when i whipped out my specially made gimmick for the 6 card repeat.

As soon as i took the cards out of the case I relized that the gimmick wasnt loaded, and so there I was, with 20 or so cards in my hand that was supposed to pass off as 6.

I was very glad that in my early years in magic my mentor used to tell me and teach me to have alternate methods for my tricks, in case things go wrong.

he was the one that insisted I learned the biddle count and practice it until I could perform the 6 card repeat with equal skill, gimmicked or not.

what I learned from these recent shows is that no matter how sure you are that everything is set up and everything will work out fine, you always have to be able to be versatile and adapt to the circumstances at hand

Just thought I'd share this with you guys and see what you guys think about this.

thanks

Jun 1, 2009
Thanks for the post! That's a good lesson all of us could learn, to make sure that we have other ways of accomplishing effects just in case something goes wrong.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Jewish, thanks for sharing this experience. Things like this "will and do" happen even though we thought we had everything prepared and ready. It is a devastating feeling once the prop or item is in play and you know you have to think on your feet to cover. Talk about sweating bullets....I've been there man.

Sounds like you made a good recovery. Awesome!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results